Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 585372 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3165 on: February 24, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
The conspiracy theory nutcases are making inroads. At least one, but probably others serve in congress. One of the craziest conspiracy theories was praised by our ex-president.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3166 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:19 PM »
I am not as worried about disinformation and conspiracy theories.  These do not impact the majority

To me that's hard to measure.  In our area with many black and brown parishioners and neighborhood residents, disinformation and attendant anxiety are plentiful.  The weird thing to me is that the fears many people have are amplified by the anti-vaccers and conspiracy types, who are politically about 180% opposite from the neighborhood.  But there's so much of that floating around that some sticks, and adds to the "I think I'll wait" mentality, even when the vaccine is being promoted mightily in our area.  So - we highlight the folks who ARE getting the vaccine,in any and all categories.  My two cents is that disinformation and conspiracy are impactful.

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: February 24, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »
The conspiracy theory nutcases are making inroads. At least one, but probably others serve in congress. One of the craziest conspiracy theories was praised by our ex-president.

Considering that the Democratic party controls both the legislative branch and the executive, "at least one, but probably others" doesn't sound like much of a threat to that solid majority since I'll assume these so-called "conspiracy theory nutcases" are only associated with the opposing party.  I would think that with a Democrat currently in the White House, with a sympathetic and supportive media, such "theories" would not have the chance to make much headway in the broader population.  And the ex-president is barred from all major social media outlets, so I'm not sure how these "conspiracy theory nutcases" will be effectively propagated on a wide scale nationally.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: February 24, 2021, 03:07:55 PM »
I am not as worried about disinformation and conspiracy theories.  These do not impact the majority

To me that's hard to measure.  In our area with many black and brown parishioners and neighborhood residents, disinformation and attendant anxiety are plentiful.  The weird thing to me is that the fears many people have are amplified by the anti-vaccers and conspiracy types, who are politically about 180% opposite from the neighborhood.  But there's so much of that floating around that some sticks, and adds to the "I think I'll wait" mentality, even when the vaccine is being promoted mightily in our area.  So - we highlight the folks who ARE getting the vaccine,in any and all categories.  My two cents is that disinformation and conspiracy are impactful.

Dave Benke

No doubt some communities will be more susceptible to this disinformation than others.  It would be nice to have some firmer statistics to know just what the impact is.  I am aware in my area of people who are holding back.  Every community has a number of them, and as I noted, some are in the medical field (although I have no knowledge of any of these being doctors).  But at present, you are right: this is hard to measure in any concrete way. 

I think that if the numbers of those vaccinated in the population-at-large is an alarmingly low percentage of the overall population, we'll have a different discussion.  Right now they are still rolling this out with Johnson & Johnson just on the very of coming on board to form a vaccine trivecta.  We'll need to keep watching and see if a sizeable amount of people end up turning down the opportunity to be vaccinated as we approach the summer, and especially the fall.
Pastor Don Engebretson

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3169 on: February 24, 2021, 06:16:25 PM »
The ex-president has plenty of media outlets available to him. If you’d let me know of any “conspiracy theory nut cases“ currently holding office as Democrats, maybe there could be a discussion. Or maybe not.
And most of the wacko conspiracy theories made headway with or without social media involvement.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: February 24, 2021, 06:23:02 PM »
The ex-president has plenty of media outlets available to him. If you’d let me know of any “conspiracy theory nut cases“ currently holding office as Democrats, maybe there could be a discussion. Or maybe not.
And most of the wacko conspiracy theories made headway with or without social media involvement.
That in 2016, Donald Trump and his campaign conspired with the Russians to steal the election. That Donald Trump is personally responsible for the half million Covid deaths.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3171 on: February 24, 2021, 06:42:24 PM »
The first thing you mention is a theory that some, but not many people believe. The second is a theory which is possible, but as yet unproven.
And neither drives any significant faction of the Democrat party.
And neither rises to the level of the bad crap craziness of QAnon.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: February 24, 2021, 09:49:06 PM »
The next person that mentions the former guy in this thread is going to be in big trouble. Consider yourselves warned.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: February 25, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

https://www.wisn.com/article/more-covid-19-vaccines-coming-to-wisconsin-but-not-enough-to-meet-demand/35604694

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/02/19/nearly-18-000-walgreens-vaccine-doses-used-up-three-days-wisconsin-and-weather-delays-shipments/4509616001/

Given how the vaccine is being accepted, I doubt that the anti-vaccers are going to be that much of a problem.

I keep telling those who have not yet gotten the vaccination here in NY and are eligible for reasons of age, health, or type of employment to get with it, because when eligibility goes to any and everyone, there's going to be a huge rush.  We get our second Pfizer on Saturday.

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: February 25, 2021, 09:20:26 AM »
More good news: Nursing home deaths are way down.  "They have plummeted, falling by more than 60 percent between late December and early February. The main cause is straightforward: Nursing home residents have been among the first people to be vaccinated."

The New York Times, "The Morning," 2-25-21

Nursing homes and assisted living centers in my area are opening up.  Tomorrow is my 14th day since receiving my second shot (Pfizer), which is supposed to be a 'marker' of maximum effectiveness.  I am hoping to finally resume shut-in visits. It's been way too long.
Pastor Don Engebretson

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: February 25, 2021, 09:40:07 AM »
More good news: Nursing home deaths are way down.  "They have plummeted, falling by more than 60 percent between late December and early February. The main cause is straightforward: Nursing home residents have been among the first people to be vaccinated."

Nursing homes and assisted living centers in my area are opening up.  Tomorrow is my 14th day since receiving my second shot (Pfizer), which is supposed to be a 'marker' of maximum effectiveness.  I am hoping to finally resume shut-in visits. It's been way too long.

Don - will they let you into the nursing home with proof of vaccination?  The best we can have here is a "window visit", which means the shut-in is at the window of her/his room and you can be seen by them (if they're on the fifth floor, there is no real conversational opportunity). 

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: February 25, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »

Don - will they let you into the nursing home with proof of vaccination?  The best we can have here is a "window visit", which means the shut-in is at the window of her/his room and you can be seen by them (if they're on the fifth floor, there is no real conversational opportunity). 

Dave Benke

Dave - I'm not entirely sure.  I think that locally I will be able to gain access, from what I am told, but it may actually have more to do with their vaccination than mine.  In the town to the south, where I have another member, there I am limited to, as you call it, window visits.  That said, I keep hoping that my vaccination might offer me some greater access. 
Pastor Don Engebretson

Weedon

« Reply #3178 on: February 25, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
Excellent Noonan opinion piece in WSJ today on how the old New York isn’t coming back, with major implications for every urban area.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3179 on: February 25, 2021, 11:31:33 PM »
Good news on the vaccine front today. Millions more available, actually getting administered to us. We need to show some concern for certain segments of the population, but we can do that if we want to.
Things are looking up.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:54:44 PM by Richard Johnson »