Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 195618 times)

mariemeyer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #2340 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
Bill Thorkelson, along with George Cornell of the AP, Dave Anderson of UPI, George Dugan of The New York Times, Jo-Ann Price of the Milwaukee Journal, Dick Ostling, first of Christianity Today and then Time Magaine and AP, and Ken Woodward created and defined religion journalism and made it a beat that mattered for over 50 years. It was my privilege to work alongside them during my years in secular journalism and with them when I was press officer for the LCUSA, LWF and LCA.

Thorkelson was a respected journalist whose reports on religious news was impartial...just the facts.

Marie Meyer

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »
As we plan for schooling in person, we might take encouragement from past experience:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/14/open-air-schools-outdoor-coronavirus/
In 1913, Providence finally opened a second open-air school. That number reached 11 in 1926, and these special facilities would serve the city for another 31 years. By that time, the concept of an open-air classroom had spread to more than 150 American cities, aiding both the minds and bodies of thousands of students.

But advancements in antibiotics in the 1940s allowed doctors to treat tuberculosis with drugs instead of fresh air. As children’s health improved, the need for open-air classrooms in Providence became less urgent. Spanning five decades, the city’s grand experiment with open-air learning came to an end in 1957, when the program’s few remaining classrooms were closed.
The epidemic in question was tuberculosis.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

James J Eivan

« Reply #2342 on: September 15, 2020, 11:53:55 PM »
As we plan for schooling in person, we might take encouragement from past experience:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/09/14/open-air-schools-outdoor-coronavirus/
In 1913, Providence finally opened a second open-air school. That number reached 11 in 1926, and these special facilities would serve the city for another 31 years. By that time, the concept of an open-air classroom had spread to more than 150 American cities, aiding both the minds and bodies of thousands of students.

But advancements in antibiotics in the 1940s allowed doctors to treat tuberculosis with drugs instead of fresh air. As children’s health improved, the need for open-air classrooms in Providence became less urgent. Spanning five decades, the city’s grand experiment with open-air learning came to an end in 1957, when the program’s few remaining classrooms were closed.
The epidemic in question was tuberculosis.

Peace,
Michael
So officials in Nevada should have allowed the Trump campaign to hold their weekend rallies in outdoor venues.  It has been reported that the campaign desired to use outdoor venues… They were denied… For clearly political reasons… And therefore ended up with the indoor warehouse location it was used. So… The problem is not the Trump campaign… It’s the folks who denied the Trump campaign permission to use the outdoor venues.
But then we have a double standard… Can’t deny progressives they’re gay wedding cakes… But when it comes to conservatives wanting access to public venues… Somehow or another it’s just fine for the progressives to do what they so condemn the conservatives doing. Kind of like it’s OK for progressives to protest outdoors for their pet because… But heaven for bid the conservatives have the same rights and privileges.😩🤥🧐

James J Eivan

« Reply #2343 on: September 23, 2020, 11:09:58 AM »
Feared coronavirus outbreaks in schools yet to arrive, early data show

Crickets in MSM ... hello NYT and WaPo ... report the facts ... not your agenda😩😭

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 23, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Feared coronavirus outbreaks in schools yet to arrive, early data show

Crickets in MSM ... hello NYT and WaPo ... report the facts ... not your agenda😩😭

And another: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/517787-study-less-than-one-percent-of-teachers-students

Here's one of the ways my home state of Kentucky has stepped up to ensure Covid is not an issue during high school basketball season.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/kentucky-high-school-basketball-no-jump-ball-to-start-games/34113738

....I wish I was making this up.

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 23, 2020, 03:45:46 PM »
Here's one of the ways my home state of Kentucky has stepped up to ensure Covid is not an issue during high school basketball season.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/kentucky-high-school-basketball-no-jump-ball-to-start-games/34113738

....I wish I was making this up.

Wow, that is surprising especially for Kentucky where high school and college basketball are so popular.  I guess I can see the point, but it seems pretty silly given all of the other physical contact during the game.  Are the number of fouls going to be reduced next to discourage guarding from becoming too physical?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »
Sort of like the NFL, where they play football against each other but can't shake hands after the game.

James J Eivan

« Reply #2348 on: September 23, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
Sort of like the NFL, where they play football against each other but can't shake hands after the game.
Oh is there any football?? A week ago the Thursday evening pre game intruded into the 6pm news.  During commercials on the news station being watched, the previous channel button tuned in the game a time or two ... quickly it became apparent that what was happening was political posturing and virtue signaling under the guise of a sporting event.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2349 on: September 23, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
If two-thirds of the professional players of football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, and golf get infected, maybe we will be spared the disruption they cause to what decent television there is, the ruination of dinner table conversation, the time wasted in sports chit-chat, and the deadening of family gatherings as the guys butt down to "watch the game."
OK. Don't start. JUST KIDDING! 
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 23, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »
Wow, that is surprising especially for Kentucky where high school and college basketball are so popular.  I guess I can see the point, ...

There is no point to it. It's simply posturing, like TSA kabuki theater.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more polarizing out there....Gov. Andrew Cuomo "says New York will undertake its own vaccine review process, and wouldn’t recommend trusting the federal government."  According to the article sited below: "States aren’t typically involved in the vaccine approval process, but they could delay the distribution of a potentially authorized vaccine, according to a New York Times report." 

I still plan on getting the vaccine when it is offered and available.  Perhaps we will have to enact travel advisories when certain states become vaccinated and others wait.  Crazy world out there....

https://endpts.com/andrew-cuomo-says-new-york-will-undertake-its-own-vaccine-review-process-and-wouldnt-recommend-trusting-the-federal-government/
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2353 on: September 25, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
I live near several retired doctors, some of them quite distinguished. A couple of them say they will not trust the federal government if vaccine protocol procedures are not followed.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
Yup, I thank you God that we are not like other people!
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter