Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 617556 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #795 on: April 01, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »
This Thomas Friedman column documents the administration's rejection - again and again - of advice from scientists because - guess why? - solutions or acknowledgment would, in the money-oriented minds of administration officials badly affect "the economy."
Peter seem to mistrust all scientists, thinking, apparently that just because opinions aren't unanimous, none of them are any good or equally possible.
No. Evolution is not a theory. It is science.
The progress of a virus is not a theory. It is a science.
The pollution of air and water is not a theory. It is science and even a kid can test to see it.
Some paragraphs from the Friedman column:

"We have a president who is enamored with markets but ignorant of Mother Nature, and we have paid a steep, steep price for that — and will pay an even bigger price when it comes to climate change, if Trump remains in charge.
"How so? I believe that the most powerful force on the planet is Mother Nature and the second most powerful force is Father Greed, i.e., the markets. The coronavirus spread in America because Trump looked at the problem through the lens of the markets first and the science of natural systems second, if at all.
Early on, Trump clearly spent his days watching the markets and downplaying the virus’s potential for rapid spread. If the markets were doing well for investors, Trump thought it meant that he was doing well containing Mother Nature’s Covid-19 disease — one of many Darwinian engines she employs to mercilessly sort out the weak from the fit.
"Trump thought that closing off flights from China was enough to stem this growing epidemic and calm the markets — without the mass testing, surveillance and quarantines of the infected that South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore employed to great success. You could hear that in the reckless, premature assurances by Kudlow, Kellyanne Conway and Trump himself that the virus had been contained."
"Trump even believed he could manipulate markets … . That for him was the true indicator of his performance against Mother Nature.
"It was his deadly mistake."

When you assert that evolution is science you discredit everything else you say.  The notion that the human being evolved over billions of years from a microscopic single celled organism is not science.  It is a myth invented by men seeking freedom from the God who reveals himself in his creation.  It serves the dogma of the secularist left that would teach us to put our trust in an almighty and omnicompetent government to save us from all evil.  "Science" is the word used, but it's no more scientific than the man in the moon.

Tell the scientists and doctors and pharmacists that the evolution of bacteria so that they are no longer affected by our antibiotics is just a myth. Evolution is science. Whether or not it can be used to explain the origin of life is taking some big leaps with the science.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 01, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
Consider the "Christian left" and those of us who believe that the majesty and power of God is revealed through astrophysics and evolution in ways that are more grand, more inspiring and more credible than the idea of the Almighty making a Mud Man by some riverbank.

HEY!
That Mud Man is my relative not some slime ball or a monkey!

Which of the human species was that mud man?

Homo erectus?
Homo heidelbergensis?
Neaderthal?
Denisovans?
Homo sapiens?
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 01, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »

A big problem with discussing evolution is that one really needs to specify what specifically one is talking about. Many, many different things and concepts can fit under the umbrella term of evolution. The term evolution can be used to describe the progression in operating systems from MSDOS 1.0 to Windows 10. It can be used to describe the results of careful breeding and cross breeding of food crops and domestic cattle. It can be used to describe disease germs changing over time and developing resistance to anti-biotics. None of these should be denied by anyone or give anyone theological pause.

There are many evolutionary theories. A its most basic, evolution is the observation that things change over time. The theoretical part is describing how and why they change. Some evolutionary theories specifically make blind chance the deciding factor, rule out teleology, purpose, or God. Those evolutionary theories I would reject. There are ways to account for evolution without ruling out God, despite what some on both sides, Christian or atheistic, would have us believe.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 01, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »

You make a distinction without a difference, Charles. Let's go with Merriam-Webster, which calls evolution:

"the scientific theory ..."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evolution

Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #799 on: April 01, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
Steve,

The author must be in a place where the nearest positive case is 250 miles away. Or, he's related to this guy:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/pennsylvania-pastor-slams-coronavirus-precautions-plans-woodstock-like-easter-gathering?fbclid=IwAR2MsiGY9qQRG6oNJO5k8YrP4d3mMAtlxnpEW5oqm3IMyu69ViPRGyyQ-_4

No, I don't think either of those is true. And -- even if they were true -- how would that rebut any of his arguments?  "No, you're wrong because you live 250 miles from a positive case"?  Or, "No, you are wrong because you are related to Jonathan Shuttlesworth"?  Isn't there some sort of logical fallacy there you can tell us about?

I'm not a "follower" of the Federalist Editor, who wrote this.  I have a twitter account that I seldom use, but it sends me emails with updates.  One of them, forwarded by a Missouri Synod Federalist employee (so that's how it came to my email), was a tweet from the same person who wrote the article you sent, that editor.  It was a tweet about a pastor who held church services (actually, in an area of fast-rising infection).  And the editor made a comment indicating the appropriate behavior for pastors and congregations is to continue to meet. 
I remember reading that comment and thinking - what the heck?  Why would this guy be in favor of putting people at risk? 

So the same man who has a thought process about next steps also has a bad comment about social distancing in churches.  All that does is make me leery of his other commentary.  His thoughts (which in some ways connect to mine and Andrew Cuomo's) get mired, at least to me, in his attempt to connect what we're going through to a loss of what he wants to consider religious freedom.

Dave Benke

Ben Domenech runs (and founded?) the Federalist, which a news outlet with a conservative perspective.  Mollie Hemingway, among others,  writes for that outlet.  For what little it's worth, Domenech is John McCain's son-in-law.  He has a bias, which he does not hide.  However, that bias is not anything like what you'd find at, say, Breitbart.

I don't know what Domenech wrote in the tweet that you saw.  I'd be interested in seeing it, both to know the specific content and the timing of it.  (Timing matters.  In late February, President Trump said that we had this under control and Speaker Pelosi was encouraging people to patronize businesses in San Francisco's Chinatown.  On March 10, Mayor DeBlasio still was encouraging New Yorkers to attend public events.  We all know better now.)  I know that he was very critical of Mayor DeBlasio for threatening to close permanently any church or synagogue that defied that defied the city's directives.  You could criticize this position as well, although it is different from actually encouraging religious groups to meet.

All that aside, in the article cited by Pr. Bohler, Domenech does not make these arguments.  Instead, he relies strongly on people like Dr. Scott Gottlieb who very much favors for now social distancing as more and more areas see ballooning numbers of cases.  It ultimately doesn't matter much whether any of us reads what particular editorialists write.  I do think, though, that it's worth considering the AEI blueprint that Domenech cited and that I've linked above.  That doesn't detract even a little from the need now for distancing.  Rather, it emphasizes the urgent need to plan for our path out of the current situation.

We get the daily feed from Governor Cuomo here in NY; maybe that's nationwide since it's the epicenter state.  Anyway, he continues to offer "next step" questions at his press conferences, which kind of remind me of the way his dad would speak and interact, more philosophically.  Today he said that the national solution being offered right now is to print money.  And he said, you know at some point there have to be some services rendered for money printing to work - some exchange of value.  I think that takes a whack at the whacky solution of just paying everyone $1000 a month ($2000?) to stay home for a year.  At some point along the way, $1000 will be worth about ten cents.

I had elderly parish shut-ins who had emigrated from Germany back in the 20s, and the husband loved to tell me every time I visited that he needed a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread.  Politically, some solutions masking as truly democratic are really a direct lead-in to dictatorship.

Dave Benke

I agree completely with Governor Cuomo on this.  The national debt already was frighteningly high.  The recently passed bill will just exacerbate that problem.  We certainly can't fix the debt problem during this time of crisis.  Tragically, neither party seems inclined even during the good times to take the debt seriously.  The bill will come due eventually, almost certainly at the most inopportune time.  We as a nation will then pay dearly, although by then those of us who participate here may have shuffled off this mortal coil, leaving the mess to future generations.

Hamlet, most appropriately.

Dave Benke

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #800 on: April 01, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
This Thomas Friedman column documents the administration's rejection - again and again - of advice from scientists because - guess why? - solutions or acknowledgment would, in the money-oriented minds of administration officials badly affect "the economy."
Peter seem to mistrust all scientists, thinking, apparently that just because opinions aren't unanimous, none of them are any good or equally possible.
The pollution of air and water is not a theory. It is science and even a kid can test to see it.
Some paragraphs from the Friedman column:

"We have a president who is enamored with markets but ignorant of Mother Nature, and we have paid a steep, steep price for that — and will pay an even bigger price when it comes to climate change, if Trump remains in charge.
"How so? I believe that the most powerful force on the planet is Mother Nature and the second most powerful force is Father Greed, i.e., the markets. The coronavirus spread in America because Trump looked at the problem through the lens of the markets first and the science of natural systems second, if at all.
Early on, Trump clearly spent his days watching the markets and downplaying the virus’s potential for rapid spread. If the markets were doing well for investors, Trump thought it meant that he was doing well containing Mother Nature’s Covid-19 disease — one of many Darwinian engines she employs to mercilessly sort out the weak from the fit.
"Trump thought that closing off flights from China was enough to stem this growing epidemic and calm the markets — without the mass testing, surveillance and quarantines of the infected that South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore employed to great success. You could hear that in the reckless, premature assurances by Kudlow, Kellyanne Conway and Trump himself that the virus had been contained."
"Trump even believed he could manipulate markets … . That for him was the true indicator of his performance against Mother Nature.
"It was his deadly mistake."

When you assert that evolution is science you discredit everything else you say.  The notion that the human being evolved over billions of years from a microscopic single celled organism is not science.  It is a myth invented by men seeking freedom from the God who reveals himself in his creation.  It serves the dogma of the secularist left that would teach us to put our trust in an almighty and omnicompetent government to save us from all evil.  "Science" is the word used, but it's no more scientific than the man in the moon.

Tell the scientists and doctors and pharmacists that the evolution of bacteria so that they are no longer affected by our antibiotics is just a myth. Evolution is science. Whether or not it can be used to explain the origin of life is taking some big leaps with the science.

When Rev. Austin used the word "evolution" I assumed he meant the process over millions and billions of years of one species developing into another and another and so on.  I guess they call this "macro-evolution" whereas the change that occurs within a species is called "micro-evolution."  I know of no one who would deny the latter.  The claim that the human species evolved over many years from a primitive form of life is what I called a myth.  That this myth undergirds atheistic ideologies is a simple fact.  My students at Saint Sophia Lutheran Theological Seminary in Ternopil', Ukraine (about twenty years ago), were all raised in the schools established by the Soviet Union.  They told me that the number one weapon in their atheistic arsenal by which to attack the Christian faith was the doctrine of macro-evolution.  Yes, I know that many theologians have tried to get Christian theology to jibe with this doctrine/myth, but it doesn't make it any less materialistic and atheistic that theists have adopted it.  It's like when Nancy Pelosi says she's a good Catholic and believes in a woman's right to kill her unborn baby.  She may or may not be a good Catholic, but her view on abortion is incompatible with Catholic teaching. 

readselerttoo

« Reply #801 on: April 01, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »
Steve,

The author must be in a place where the nearest positive case is 250 miles away. Or, he's related to this guy:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/pennsylvania-pastor-slams-coronavirus-precautions-plans-woodstock-like-easter-gathering?fbclid=IwAR2MsiGY9qQRG6oNJO5k8YrP4d3mMAtlxnpEW5oqm3IMyu69ViPRGyyQ-_4

No, I don't think either of those is true. And -- even if they were true -- how would that rebut any of his arguments?  "No, you're wrong because you live 250 miles from a positive case"?  Or, "No, you are wrong because you are related to Jonathan Shuttlesworth"?  Isn't there some sort of logical fallacy there you can tell us about?

I'm not a "follower" of the Federalist Editor, who wrote this.  I have a twitter account that I seldom use, but it sends me emails with updates.  One of them, forwarded by a Missouri Synod Federalist employee (so that's how it came to my email), was a tweet from the same person who wrote the article you sent, that editor.  It was a tweet about a pastor who held church services (actually, in an area of fast-rising infection).  And the editor made a comment indicating the appropriate behavior for pastors and congregations is to continue to meet. 
I remember reading that comment and thinking - what the heck?  Why would this guy be in favor of putting people at risk? 

So the same man who has a thought process about next steps also has a bad comment about social distancing in churches.  All that does is make me leery of his other commentary.  His thoughts (which in some ways connect to mine and Andrew Cuomo's) get mired, at least to me, in his attempt to connect what we're going through to a loss of what he wants to consider religious freedom.

Dave Benke

Ben Domenech runs (and founded?) the Federalist, which a news outlet with a conservative perspective.  Mollie Hemingway, among others,  writes for that outlet.  For what little it's worth, Domenech is John McCain's son-in-law.  He has a bias, which he does not hide.  However, that bias is not anything like what you'd find at, say, Breitbart.

I don't know what Domenech wrote in the tweet that you saw.  I'd be interested in seeing it, both to know the specific content and the timing of it.  (Timing matters.  In late February, President Trump said that we had this under control and Speaker Pelosi was encouraging people to patronize businesses in San Francisco's Chinatown.  On March 10, Mayor DeBlasio still was encouraging New Yorkers to attend public events.  We all know better now.)  I know that he was very critical of Mayor DeBlasio for threatening to close permanently any church or synagogue that defied that defied the city's directives.  You could criticize this position as well, although it is different from actually encouraging religious groups to meet.

All that aside, in the article cited by Pr. Bohler, Domenech does not make these arguments.  Instead, he relies strongly on people like Dr. Scott Gottlieb who very much favors for now social distancing as more and more areas see ballooning numbers of cases.  It ultimately doesn't matter much whether any of us reads what particular editorialists write.  I do think, though, that it's worth considering the AEI blueprint that Domenech cited and that I've linked above.  That doesn't detract even a little from the need now for distancing.  Rather, it emphasizes the urgent need to plan for our path out of the current situation.

We get the daily feed from Governor Cuomo here in NY; maybe that's nationwide since it's the epicenter state.  Anyway, he continues to offer "next step" questions at his press conferences, which kind of remind me of the way his dad would speak and interact, more philosophically.  Today he said that the national solution being offered right now is to print money.  And he said, you know at some point there have to be some services rendered for money printing to work - some exchange of value.  I think that takes a whack at the whacky solution of just paying everyone $1000 a month ($2000?) to stay home for a year.  At some point along the way, $1000 will be worth about ten cents.

I had elderly parish shut-ins who had emigrated from Germany back in the 20s, and the husband loved to tell me every time I visited that he needed a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread.  Politically, some solutions masking as truly democratic are really a direct lead-in to dictatorship.

Dave Benke

I agree completely with Governor Cuomo on this.  The national debt already was frighteningly high.  The recently passed bill will just exacerbate that problem.  We certainly can't fix the debt problem during this time of crisis.  Tragically, neither party seems inclined even during the good times to take the debt seriously.  The bill will come due eventually, almost certainly at the most inopportune time.  We as a nation will then pay dearly, although by then those of us who participate here may have shuffled off this mortal coil, leaving the mess to future generations.

Dave Benke

Did he write that song "Shuffle off to Buffalo?"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:19:29 PM by readselerttoo »

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 01, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »

Hmmmm. Cabin fever getting to you, huh?
For the record, I do not mistrust all scientists. But I do recognize that following the advice of any given scientist involves trust, and that scientists are just as likely as anyone else to be in the service of error and even evil. For example, Chinese scientists assured us everything was under control long ago. Did you believe them? If  so, were you justified in that belief? If not, why did you mistrust the only scientists with access to real data?

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 01, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
Dave Benke
Odd that a Democrat would raise that issue (my party seems to want to give everything away for free), but he is right.
Last year we (taxpayers) paid $749 Billion in interest on the current debt. Adding another $2 Trillion to the debt is indeed frightening.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:03:50 PM by Chuck »
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

James J Eivan

« Reply #804 on: April 01, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
We need to help those who have lost their income .... but if I understand the current plan, everyone regardless whether they have lost their income or not will receive a check. Good for the individual ... but what about the country?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #805 on: April 01, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
One last word, for Pastor Preus:
"Attacking" the Christian faith via evolution only "works" if the Christian faith is based on the cosmology and literal creationism of Genesis.
I don't care if some ideology uses evolution in a Godless way. I don't; and neither do millions and millions of others. If you say the faith depends upon rejecting an evolution which confesses God as creator and rejects the literal historicity of the Genesis creation stories, then we do not believe in the same faith.
But we digress. 
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 01, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
Steve,

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

Did he write that song ?Shuffle off to Buffalo?"

Maybe.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdEqB-TB8g, or for fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE  (absolutely amazing mix).

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #807 on: April 01, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
Those links provided a fine ending to my evening. I had been watching James Cagney and Bob Hope dancing on the tables in a clip from "The Seven Little Foys" and then the Nicholas Brothers' amazing tap/acrobatic routines to some good ol' time jazz.
Truly truly great.
But those of us who know that are fading away, alas.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #808 on: April 02, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »
One last word, for Pastor Preus:
"Attacking" the Christian faith via evolution only "works" if the Christian faith is based on the cosmology and literal creationism of Genesis.
I don't care if some ideology uses evolution in a Godless way. I don't; and neither do millions and millions of others. If you say the faith depends upon rejecting an evolution which confesses God as creator and rejects the literal historicity of the Genesis creation stories, then we do not believe in the same faith.
But we digress.

I agree with you, Rev. Austin.  We do not believe in the same faith.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:21 AM »
Those links provided a fine ending to my evening. I had been watching James Cagney and Bob Hope dancing on the tables in a clip from "The Seven Little Foys" and then the Nicholas Brothers' amazing tap/acrobatic routines to some good ol' time jazz.
Truly truly great.
But those of us who know that are fading away, alas.

That second link, which featured the really great dancers of the early-to-mid part of the last century connected to more recent times by mixing in a funk beat, was incredible - my wife, who can dance, as opposed to me, said there's an even longer version of that one out there on you tube somewhere.  This morning an intro to a three hour Simpsons' marathon tonight featured the old header from the Readers' Digest - Laughter, the Best Medicine.  As a kid, we reveled in what we perceived as the luxurious subscription to the Readers' Digest giving us these mostly bad jokes but also stories of funny stuff that happened on a monthly basis.  I guess the Readers' Digest would be a classic case of editing on steroids - War and Peace edited down to 40 pages.

Dave Benke