Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 397891 times)

mj4

Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #750 on: March 30, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
For those looking for more information on COVID-19, here are some resources provided for free from EBSCO:

https://covid-19.ebscomedical.com/

It's worth mentioning that the above website is updated daily for the most accurate information on the COVID-19 pandemic.

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
"Coronavirus live updates: Pastor arrested for holding church services
The pastor acted in violation of Florida's stay-at-home order, officials said."

Pentecostal pastor Rodney Howard-Browne of a megachurch in Tampa has had his fair share of controversies already.  He is also known for that interesting phenomenon called "holy laughter."  He's probably not laughing right now....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-live-updates-fda-anti-malaria-drugs-emergency/story?id=69867398&fbclid=IwAR1EOZ1TuFz7XoZOcg6ow3myJHHgLUvJLOGMtOxd_D9R36lTEP7pnpv_kPs
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #752 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »
Falwell should be next, re-opening Liberty University in the face of the advance of the virus and refusing the ban on large gatherings. The large majority of people in Lynchburg are senior citizens, and Falwell has endangered every single one of them.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2020, 09:04:00 AM »

Pentecostal pastor Rodney Howard-Browne of a megachurch in Tampa has had his fair share of controversies already.  He is also known for that interesting phenomenon called "holy laughter."  He's probably not laughing right now....

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-live-updates-fda-anti-malaria-drugs-emergency/story?id=69867398&fbclid=IwAR1EOZ1TuFz7XoZOcg6ow3myJHHgLUvJLOGMtOxd_D9R36lTEP7pnpv_kPs

Florida is really irritating New Yorkers right now.   Not so much Florida, but their governor.  The governor blames their corona virus acceleration on New Yorkers coming down even as he's OK with spring break partying on the beaches and was the prince of delay strategies in implementing appropriate measures.  So how many years have New Yorkers been coming down and moving to Florida?  100?  And how many billions or trillions have New Yorkers pumped into Florida?  The whole east coast of Florida is us - now we're the bad guys because our relatives are there?  It's not primarily the governor's bad behavior?  As Andew Cuomo might say, "Come on, man - get your act together!"  Prayers for Florida specifically are in order because of the magnitude of the senior population there.  I'm starting with the prayer posture, but feel depotentiated.

Dave Benke

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2020, 09:14:50 AM »

Florida is really irritating New Yorkers right now.   Not so much Florida, but their governor.  The governor blames their corona virus acceleration on New Yorkers coming down even as he's OK with spring break partying on the beaches and was the prince of delay strategies in implementing appropriate measures.  So how many years have New Yorkers been coming down and moving to Florida?  100?  And how many billions or trillions have New Yorkers pumped into Florida?  The whole east coast of Florida is us - now we're the bad guys because our relatives are there?  It's not primarily the governor's bad behavior?  As Andew Cuomo might say, "Come on, man - get your act together!"  Prayers for Florida specifically are in order because of the magnitude of the senior population there.  I'm starting with the prayer posture, but feel depotentiated.

Dave Benke

As I posted a link to above, as recently as March 13 (a little over 2 weeks ago) New York leaders were still telling their citizens to go out and do whatever they normally would do.  Perhaps before criticizing Florida officials, a NYC resident might look to his own house.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Pastor Bohler, you have no idea how accustomed New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are to receiving silly shots from folks in flyover country. They bother us about as much as the sight of a rat on the subway tracks or a dead bunny on the New Jersey Turnpike. Look up the tracks; where’s that damned F train? Pedal to the metal; pass that semi!
Save your cyber breath. Go pet a buffalo. Listen to a loon.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2020, 10:02:25 AM »

Dave Benke

I have to disagree here.  New York is the epicenter of this virus and those with means are getting out of Dodge.  They're going upstate where there are a lot of summer rentals and they're headed out to the Hamptons.  A friend who lives year round in Hampton Bays gives an account of what this looks like.  But first it should be noted that many of these areas that live on summer money are depressed communities the remaining nine months of the year.  There is a lot of poverty and most year round residents are in lower paying jobs.  My friend who gives the account is in her early 70's and still has to work as she cannot afford to retire.  City folks with means have flocked in.   Obviously this is not like the summer flocking where jobs are a result of the NYC exodus.  They are purchasing already scarce commodities.  There were no cases in Nassau and Suffolk initially and they started having cases in areas served by the Long Island Rail Road coming out from the city.  But that's the least of it.  They are coming in from the epicenter of the virus and, as we've seen, without testing one has no idea of who actually has the disease.  Cuomo should get his own house in order before he looks to criticize others.     

I will admit that Cuomo has done a very admirable job in NY.  But, as may be evident, I am growing weary of his New York schtick.  The tough guy act is growing old as is his constantly speaking in first person pronouns.  "I need," "I want."  New Yorkers need, the sick need, etc.  A minor thing but it says a lot.   The accolades that are coming in seem to have gone to his head and I wonder does he see himself as governor to the governors.   

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 31, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
Pastor Bohler, you have no idea how accustomed New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are to receiving silly shots from folks in flyover country. They bother us about as much as the sight of a rat on the subway tracks or a dead bunny on the New Jersey Turnpike. Look up the tracks; where’s that damned F train? Pedal to the metal; pass that semi!
Save your cyber breath. Go pet a buffalo. Listen to a loon.

1. I would assume that New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are about as used to silly shots from us as we are from them.
2. If those "silly shots" don't bother them, why do they squeal so much about them?
3. One does not pet a buffalo.
4. You are in flyover country yourself now, so be careful about how you speak of it.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 31, 2020, 10:38:19 AM »
I've got to admit that this does not appear to be Jerry Falwell Jr.'s finest hour.  All the Concordias shut down early on and put their students online.  I picked up my daughter from CUC back on March 15.  Universities are self-contained communities with built-in close quarter conditions.  It is interesting that 1,900 students returned and then 800 left.  Again, not the best situation.  It's a mess.  He could have done better.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/liberty-university-student-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-after-falwell-reopened-campus.html
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Ms Smith,

A similar situation here in Minnesota, though certainly on a smaller scale. Twin Citians are fleeing to their cabins "Up North," bringing the virus along with them. Is there something about "Stay put!" "Stay home!" "No unnecessary travel!" that people don't understand?
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 31, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
Ms Smith,

A similar situation here in Minnesota, though certainly on a smaller scale. Twin Citians are fleeing to their cabins "Up North," bringing the virus along with them. Is there something about "Stay put!" "Stay home!" "No unnecessary travel!" that people don't understand?

I believe they understand it quite well, Pastor Kirchner - as it pertains to others.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
Ms Smith,

Rules are for thee, not for me!

The first case in St. Louis was a college student (enrolled at Indiana Univ.)  She studied in Milan Italy and when the term was done, she flew to Chicago then took the train to St. Louis.  She had the virus, gave it to her sister- a high school student at Villa Duchene.  The family self-quarantined, but when it came time for the high school father-daughter dance, well...rules?  Rules are for the people who live in Hoosierville (south county), for the poor people who live in south St. Louis City, north St. Louis City, the commoners in Bridgeton, Ferguson, St. Ann, Olivette, Manchester, Ballwin.  Rules don't apply to us in Ladue.   ;)

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #762 on: March 31, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
OK, everyone take a breath, relax and don't pet buffaloes.
My wry poke at Pastor Bohler was not a sociological treatise, a political analysis, or commentary on the personality traits of different states. (Well, maybe it was that last, a little bit.) But it ain't worth a big hooh-hah in this modest forum.
Carry on. Everyone stay well, stay physically distant and pray that Falwell's stupidity has not put too many people in mortal danger. Kudos to the Concordias that closed.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 31, 2020, 12:08:13 PM »
OK, everyone take a breath, relax and don't pet buffaloes.
My wry poke at Pastor Bohler was not a sociological treatise, a political analysis, or commentary on the personality traits of different states. (Well, maybe it was that last, a little bit.) But it ain't worth a big hooh-hah in this modest forum.
Carry on. Everyone stay well, stay physically distant and pray that Falwell's stupidity has not put too many people in mortal danger. Kudos to the Concordias that closed.

Perhaps you ought to heed your own advice.  Or at least understand that when you take a "wry poke" at someone, it is to be expected that they might poke back.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 31, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »

Dave Benke

I believe that Rhode Island was doing something similar to New Yorkers.  Is that right?

I've also read that the civic leaders out in the Hamptons are trying to keep city folk from coming east to escape the virus.