Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 680667 times)

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #6225 on: March 01, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »
"Evidence that people's doubts are sometimes perfectly justified,..." after over 900,000 people are dead in the US?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: March 01, 2022, 08:42:02 PM »
"Evidence that people's doubts are sometimes perfectly justified,..." after over 900,000 people are dead in the US?
I don't think anyone doubts that any of the 900,000 dead actually died. But if you told me wearing a beanie cap prevented me from dying, I would doubt you. And no appeal to the number of dead would make me reconsider. The fact is, we were assured things that were absolutely not true about the vaccines. Some people doubted that those things were true and have been vindicated in their doubts by the actual data.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #6227 on: March 01, 2022, 10:09:48 PM »
Prayers from Brooklyn on your behalf, Richard

Dave Benke

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: March 02, 2022, 09:09:33 AM »
Thanks for the prayers, everyone. I'm starting to feel better; my wife Lois tested positive yesterday and she's got more symptoms than I have had, so prayers for her also appreciated. (She tested negative twice with home tests but we simply didn't believe it, so last night she went to urgent care and tested positive.)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: March 02, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
God remain with both of you, Richard.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: March 02, 2022, 09:44:34 AM »

How does the fact that "900,000 people are dead in the US" affect the truth of what we've been told since the COVID pandemic started?

Each thing we've been told should have evidence supporting it.  Consider the shift from "Masks don't work" to "Always wear masks" to "Some masks are of little to no benefit".  Having 900,000 deaths doesn't affect the truth of those statements.

Dana Lockhart

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: March 02, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »
A brand new virus emerges. Not known to medicine. Related to a previous SARS virus, but distinct and perplexing.

And 2.25 years later, people are still expressing outrage and umbrage that public health recommendations shifted as new data came in. About a virus that was totally unknown less than 3 years ago.

What would you have had them do? Maintain consistency just for consistency's sake?

The bellyaching about covid and public health measures is exhausting. To say nothing of the gross immorality that led to a great many of those 900,000 deaths… the stubborn, selfish refusal to love one's neighbor. People are dying for the convenience of others… doubly galling that so many of the intransigent consider themselves "pro-life."

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6232 on: March 03, 2022, 03:49:36 AM »
Amen. Dana Lockhart! We learn things as we go along, so the advice changes based on new knowledge. I don’t know why people can’t understand that.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: March 03, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
Amen. Dana Lockhart! We learn things as we go along, so the advice changes based on new knowledge. I don’t know why people can’t understand that.
They can understand that. That isn’t what happened. People—experts— who made accurate claims were lambasted and ostracized and even deplatformed for saying perfectly rational thing, and these things were done by people who were not “following the science”. When Dr. Fauci said that doubting him was doubting science, he was speaking for people who think like you. He was not speaking truthfully.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: March 03, 2022, 08:51:42 AM »
A brand new virus emerges. Not known to medicine. Related to a previous SARS virus, but distinct and perplexing.

And 2.25 years later, people are still expressing outrage and umbrage that public health recommendations shifted as new data came in. About a virus that was totally unknown less than 3 years ago.

What would you have had them do? Maintain consistency just for consistency's sake?

The bellyaching about covid and public health measures is exhausting. To say nothing of the gross immorality that led to a great many of those 900,000 deaths… the stubborn, selfish refusal to love one's neighbor. People are dying for the convenience of others… doubly galling that so many of the intransigent consider themselves "pro-life."

"Pro-life"??? Really??? They stole the pro-choice mantra, "My body!" "No one is going to tell me what to do with my body!!!"

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: March 03, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »

"Pro-life"??? Really??? They stole the pro-choice mantra, "My body!" "No one is going to tell me what to do with my body!!!"

Peace, JOHN

I don't think they "stole the mantra" as much as they pointed out what they saw as hypocrisy. Many of those who were requiring vaccination (on pain of losing one's employment) were also those who claim to be "pro-choice" and would argue that "No one is going to tell me what to do with my body!!!" (e.g. Boston mayor Michelle Wu).
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: March 03, 2022, 09:32:20 AM »

I firmly agree.

Except...well, Fauci didn't say, "I was wrong. Masks are useful. Use them." He said that he deliberately lied because he wanted the reserve masks for health care providers.

Nor did he say that the evidence showed that we'd need a higher rate of vaccination for immunity to set in because of research, he admitted that he moved the goal posts based on what he thought people could hande.

It wasn't just last year that the CDC discovered that cloth masks weren't any good. That's been known all along. One of the inmates at the jail is a world-renowned surgeon. He actually pioneered robotic surgery. He told over a year ago that cloth masks, as most people wear, are useless. Neck gaiters even more useless. But until a few months ago, the CDC said nothing.

Then there is this. As of this Saturday, the city of Boston will no longer require masking in any public building...except schools. How does that make any sense?

Or how about one needs to mask if one is walking through a restaurant, but if you are sitting down you can take the mask off. Because...the virus will travel if you are walking but not if you are sitting down? It just never made any sense to me. 
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: March 03, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
One of the sad outcomes of this pandemic is the effect it has had on the community of churches nationwide, and on the judgements leveled against fellow believers based on decisions individual people made regarding vaccines and masks.  Christian fidelity to the Gospel and love for ones neighbor was gauged, in some cases, on simple compliance lacking a full understanding of needful exceptions and a willingness to listen to concerns. I hope and pray that reconciliation happens on both sides as the church rebuilds from this painful chapter in our history.  I also hope that the medical community has learned that isolating people for extended periods of time, especially the very sick and the elderly, has had very unfortunate effects on their well-being and mental health.  Mistakes were made all around and no one person or group can bear responsibility for our inability to know exactly how to respond.  As a pastor I have been chastised for my own lack of leadership even while I was working hard to find a way to fulfill my calling to preach the Gospel and administer the sacraments under what felt, at times, like oppressive restrictions.  If I made mistakes I repent, but I do not repent of my desire to keep God's people connected with God's gifts.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: March 03, 2022, 09:47:30 AM »
Yesterday I was given a chart of the number of suspected child abuse or neglect cases reported to my County's protective agency.

The line graph showed monthly reports January - December for the past five years, each year represented by a different color line.   

Most years the reports hovered around 1350/month January through May, then fell off June through August, rebounding in September.  Obviously the mandated reporters in the school systems were doing their jobs very well.

In March 2020 the reports plunged to 750 but later stayed within a standard deviation of average beginning in June.

Did suspected child abuse and neglect suddenly diminish because of lockdowns?

I think not.

COVID 19 was a threat but it was not and is not and will not be the only threat; nor the most lethal threat.

Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: March 03, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »
One of the sad outcomes of this pandemic is the effect it has had on the community of churches nationwide, and on the judgements leveled against fellow believers based on decisions individual people made regarding vaccines and masks.  Christian fidelity to the Gospel and love for ones neighbor was gauged, in some cases, on simple compliance lacking a full understanding of needful exceptions and a willingness to listen to concerns. I hope and pray that reconciliation happens on both sides as the church rebuilds from this painful chapter in our history.  I also hope that the medical community has learned that isolating people for extended periods of time, especially the very sick and the elderly, has had very unfortunate effects on their well-being and mental health.  Mistakes were made all around and no one person or group can bear responsibility for our inability to know exactly how to respond.  As a pastor I have been chastised for my own lack of leadership even while I was working hard to find a way to fulfill my calling to preach the Gospel and administer the sacraments under what felt, at times, like oppressive restrictions.  If I made mistakes I repent, but I do not repent of my desire to keep God's people connected with God's gifts.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

I've been quite fortunate. My members have been fine with going along with whatever the town government asks in terms of masking. Now that it is no longer required, they have a "live and let live" attitude--some mask, others don't. I don't and no one has ever said anything to me about it.

Others have not been so fortunate. I truly wish people could let charity and love prevail.