Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 680696 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #6210 on: February 19, 2022, 10:18:42 PM »
One of the provisions of the bill is that employers could require a prior coronavirus infection as an alternative to vaccination and testing.

Much as I a loathe to give the Muslims credit for anything the concept of "vaccinated or recovered" first surfaced at Haj (Mecca pilgrimage) last summer.   That was the standard set by the Saudi government.   I am glad to see that beginning to spread elsewhere.

Those who are COVID survivors deserve more than a shot in the arm.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: February 20, 2022, 02:33:22 PM »
Pastor Engebretson:
I believe I read that over 70% of the country has some level of immunity either from vaccines or having had the virus.
Me:
True, but the immunity may not be strong and it will not last.

From the "Final Analysis of Efficacy and Safety of Single-Dose Ad26.COV2.S" (aka the Johnson & Johnson vaccine):

Vaccine efficacy against moderate to severe–critical Covid-19 with onset at least 28 days after administration was 52.9% (95% CI, 47.1 to 58.1).
Previous infection alone, in an analysis involving seropositive and seronegative placebo recipients, was found to provide 90.4% (95% CI, 83.2 to 95.1) protection against moderate to severe–critical Covid-19.

Elsewhere, the report indicates that the J&J vaccine decreases in effectivity after about 6-7 months.  Decrease in effectivity of previous infections was not studied.

A really good discussion of natural immunity vs. vaccination from The Guardian, which cites the above report and others:
It’s time to consider natural immunity to Covid-19 as equal to one-shot of the vaccine
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 02:49:35 PM by James S. Rustad »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: February 27, 2022, 04:17:18 PM »
Well, it seems that I have COVID. Felt a little punk last night, but didn't think much of it. Felt much worse this morning and running a low-grade fever, so i took a test and it's positive. I'm just hanging out watching movies, and I'm sure I'll be fine, but will appreciate your prayers.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: February 27, 2022, 04:20:48 PM »
Well, it seems that I have COVID. Felt a little punk last night, but didn't think much of it. Felt much worse this morning and running a low-grade fever, so i took a test and it's positive. I'm just hanging out watching movies, and I'm sure I'll be fine, but will appreciate your prayers.
Prayers ascending. You might want to consult your physician on the pros and cons of the new oral meds, but they appear to be most effective when started early.
Peace,
Jon

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: February 27, 2022, 04:27:49 PM »
Will do. Hopefully a mild case.

Must be your innate conservatism that made you wait until the last musicians were putting their instruments away before jumping on that bandwagon.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: February 27, 2022, 05:41:55 PM »
Prayers ascending.
Pete Garrison

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6216 on: February 27, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »
Hang in, Richard. The news is usually good when the vaccinated test positive, even though the test itself is not good news.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: February 27, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »
RICHARD,

Take care. I hope that your case remains mild and goes away soon.
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: February 28, 2022, 04:04:39 PM »
In my prayers Richard.  If you still have it put on your Mr. Happy shirt.  And check with your doctor. 

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: February 28, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »
In my prayers Richard.  If you still have it put on your Mr. Happy shirt.  And check with your doctor.

Still have it. Way too cold for T-shirts.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: March 01, 2022, 01:35:28 PM »
https://www.city-journal.org/how-the-fda-botched-the-vaccine-rollout-for-young-kids

Stories like these are sure to keep coming out and undermining people’s already flagging faith in our federal bureaucracies.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6222 on: March 01, 2022, 03:50:02 PM »
And dwelling on occasional missteps or mistakes or a few errors, thereby Undercutting confidence in our leaders and building animosity towards everything everywhere related to government accomplishes what?
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »
And dwelling on occasional missteps or mistakes or a few errors, thereby Undercutting confidence in our leaders and building animosity towards everything everywhere related to government accomplishes what?

It imbues us with a healthy skepticism towards government action.  Strangely enough, those on the left used to advocate that.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: March 01, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
It accomplishes the purpose of achieving an appropriate degree of certainly and/or humility when it comes to federal bureaucracies. When people lambast anyone who evidences even a tiny shred of doubt about something the government said, they are on the side of tyranny. Evidence that people's doubts are sometimes perfectly justified, as they were in this case when you were not only erroneously certain of your position but overbearingly disdainful of anyone who who was actually more tuned into the truth, helps to keep future discussions of "emergency powers" and mandates grounded in a healthy humility and skepticism toward the infallible decrees of the government. That is a positive good.