Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 622372 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #5640 on: November 30, 2021, 02:20:33 PM »
There is a Fauci Derangement Syndrome out there:
Lara Logan, once a lauded foreign correspondent for CBS News’s “60 Minutes” and now a boundary-pushing Fox News guest commentator and streaming show host, drew fierce condemnation for on-air comments Monday night comparing the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, Anthony S. Fauci, to Nazi doctor Josef Mengele.

Her comments came during a segment in which Fox host Pete Hegseth, a frequent critic of coronavirus vaccine mandates and masking politics, accused the Biden administration of overhyping the new omicron variant.

Logan’s response, though, went well beyond.

“What you see on Dr. Fauci — this is what people say to me: that he doesn’t represent science to them. He represents Josef Mengele,” she said. “Dr. Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who did experiments on Jews during the Second World War and in the concentration camps. And I am talking about people all across the world are saying this, because the response from covid, what it has done to countries everywhere, what it has done to civil liberties, the suicide rates, the poverty, it has obliterated economies. The level of suffering that has been created because of this disease is now being seen in the cold light of day.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/11/30/media-lara-logan-fox-fauci-mengele-comparison/

Peace,
Michael
I've noted this before, verbal inflation. We no longer can simply disagree with people; we have to compare them to Nazis. We can't simply point out mistakes that they have made or foolish things they have done; they are the Worst EVER! There is also the other side of the coin. I have to be the best ever. Nobody dares disagree with me because "I am Science!" or I am the greatest President, if you don't vote for me you are a traitor to your race. And, naturally, all, ALL of whatever group I disagree with and vilify are b-----ds. Leaves little room for reasoning together.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 03:05:06 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: November 30, 2021, 02:31:49 PM »
Lara Logan, once a lauded foreign correspondent for CBS News’s “60 Minutes” and now a boundary-pushing Fox News guest commentator and streaming show host, drew fierce condemnation for on-air comments Monday night comparing the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, Anthony S. Fauci, to Nazi doctor Josef Mengele.

Her comments came during a segment in which Fox host Pete Hegseth, a frequent critic of coronavirus vaccine mandates and masking politics, accused the Biden administration of overhyping the new omicron variant.

“What you see on Dr. Fauci — this is what people say to me: that he doesn’t represent science to them. He represents Josef Mengele,” she said. “Dr. Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who did experiments on Jews during the Second World War and in the concentration camps. And I am talking about people all across the world are saying this, because the response from covid, what it has done to countries everywhere, what it has done to civil liberties, the suicide rates, the poverty, it has obliterated economies. The level of suffering that has been created because of this disease is now being seen in the cold light of day.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/11/30/media-lara-logan-fox-fauci-mengele-comparison/

Peace,
Michael
Agreed. Comparing your political opponents to evil white supremacists is a sign of derangement.   

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: November 30, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »

Peace,
Michael

Godwin wins again. *sigh*

Fauci is not "science." Neither is he Mengele. Fauci is Fauci. He is a man who knows a lot about many things and probably forgotten more about SARS-CoV-2 and related matters than most of us will ever know. But for all of that, he is only a man. That means he makes judgement calls. Some of those calls he gets right; others he gets wrong.

In 2020, Candidate Biden said that President Trump as being "xenophobic" and "racist" when he put a travel ban into effect. When Mr. Trump put in place a travel ban from African countries, Mr. Biden said it was just to harass 'black and brown' people. He later boasted that he had a comprehensive COVID plan and that he was going to shut down the virus.

Now, he has put in place an African travel ban. 10 months in office, with effective vaccines, and the virus is still going strong and the number of deaths is greater than it was in 2020.

Which just goes to show that it is much easier to criticize when you aren't the one who has to make the call and whose decisions actually impact people's lives. I may agree with Dr. Fauci, I may disagree with him, but overall, I'm glad I don't have his job.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #5643 on: November 30, 2021, 03:17:57 PM »

Peace,
Michael

Godwin wins again. *sigh*

Fauci is not "science." Neither is he Mengele. Fauci is Fauci. He is a man who knows a lot about many things and probably forgotten more about SARS-CoV-2 and related matters than most of us will ever know. But for all of that, he is only a man. That means he makes judgement calls. Some of those calls he gets right; others he gets wrong.

In 2020, Candidate Biden said that President Trump as being "xenophobic" and "racist" when he put a travel ban into effect. When Mr. Trump put in place a travel ban from African countries, Mr. Biden said it was just to harass 'black and brown' people. He later boasted that he had a comprehensive COVID plan and that he was going to shut down the virus.

Now, he has put in place an African travel ban. 10 months in office, with effective vaccines, and the virus is still going strong and the number of deaths is greater than it was in 2020.

Which just goes to show that it is much easier to criticize when you aren't the one who has to make the call and whose decisions actually impact people's lives. I may agree with Dr. Fauci, I may disagree with him, but overall, I'm glad I don't have his job.

I agree with this, Jim.  Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.  Fauci as Mengele is simply reprehensible.  He seems not to take all the guff personally by and large, which is to his credit.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: November 30, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »
This article interviews people who refuse to be vaccinated. It is an interesting look at different mindsets.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/a-year-ago-i-was-a-hero-now-im-treated

DeHall1

• View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
This article interviews people who refuse to be vaccinated. It is an interesting look at different mindsets.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/a-year-ago-i-was-a-hero-now-im-treated

If you have the time, I suggest you read the comments on this article from Jake Gruber as well.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: November 30, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
Here is another interesting take on the international vaxxed/unvaxxed wars.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: December 01, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »
Sad story from Texas on the anti-vaxx and misinformation front:  https://www.aol.com/news/founder-anti-vaccine-christian-tv-060022745.html

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: December 01, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
Sad story from Texas on the anti-vaxx and misinformation front:  https://www.aol.com/news/founder-anti-vaccine-christian-tv-060022745.html

Dave Benke

Interesting interpretation of his infection from the family:

On Tuesday’s broadcast of the daily “Ministry Now” program, his wife, Joni, said that her husband had developed “COVID pneumonia” after contracting the virus. She said he had pre-existing conditions.

“He never talked about that,” she said. “He had diabetes, but he kept it in check. He was very healthy.”

She said they had both been following “many of the protocols talked about here on Daystar” to treat him and that he “100% believed in everything we’ve talked about here on Daystar.”

“There’s no doubt in my mind that this is a spiritual attack from the enemy,” Jonathan Lamb said of his father’s COVID-19 infection during a Nov. 23 broadcast on the network, Religion News Service reported.

“As much as my parents have gone on here to kind of inform everyone about everything going on to the pandemic and some of the ways to treat COVID — there’s no doubt that the enemy is not happy about that. And he’s doing everything he can to take down my dad.”
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: December 01, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »

Dave Benke

Interesting interpretation of his infection from the family:

On Tuesday’s broadcast of the daily “Ministry Now” program, his wife, Joni, said that her husband had developed “COVID pneumonia” after contracting the virus. She said he had pre-existing conditions.

“He never talked about that,” she said. “He had diabetes, but he kept it in check. He was very healthy.”

She said they had both been following “many of the protocols talked about here on Daystar” to treat him and that he “100% believed in everything we’ve talked about here on Daystar.”

“There’s no doubt in my mind that this is a spiritual attack from the enemy,” Jonathan Lamb said of his father’s COVID-19 infection during a Nov. 23 broadcast on the network, Religion News Service reported.

“As much as my parents have gone on here to kind of inform everyone about everything going on to the pandemic and some of the ways to treat COVID — there’s no doubt that the enemy is not happy about that. And he’s doing everything he can to take down my dad.”

In the words of Aaron Rodgers, he was immunized. 

This news source, Daystar Ministries, is highly influential among evangelicalists, who are among those most likely to oppose vaccination for supposed spiritual/religious reasons.  The quote from the daughter is right on target with that viewpoint.  The difference between "treating" COVID and getting vaccinated are enormous.  That narrative is what's being opposed by those on the evangelicalist anti-vaccine front. 

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5651 on: December 02, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
This is just another take on the questionable premise that everyone should get the disease, then we all would be immune.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minnesota. Interested in faith related to today’s life; and in church history, choral singing, cooking, movies and live theater.

DeHall1

• View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: December 02, 2021, 11:58:31 AM »
This is just another take on the questionable premise that everyone should get the disease, then we all would be immune.

That darn partisan scream machine, The New England Journal of Medicine!

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5653 on: December 02, 2021, 12:25:05 PM »
I roamed around the website of the New England Journal for medicine and couldn’t find any reference to that particular article.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minnesota. Interested in faith related to today’s life; and in church history, choral singing, cooking, movies and live theater.

Mark Janke

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: December 02, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »
Here is the link to the article: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2108120. It was published in the correspondence section of the journal.
Mark Janke - LCMS layman