Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 648072 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #5190 on: October 07, 2021, 06:28:33 PM »
When New York starts worrying about not having enough people living there, we will have a host of other problems. :)
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: October 07, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
Bunk! Peer review means that other scientist at other institutions, who do not have the same agenda-drive processes, do the same experiment and reach the same conclusions - or their experiment shows the errors in the original conclusions.

No, peer review does not replicate the work.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: October 07, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
I don't mean this to be a political comment, but a recent experience cracked me up. We got a flu shot at the local CVS. The pharmacist who gave it to us said that we should wait two weeks to get the Pfizer booster. "It's OK to get them both at the same time," he said, "but if you just get the flu shot, you need to wait two weeks for the COVID booster."

Fast forward a few days. I'm visiting my allergist. He asks me if I've had a flu shot and a COVID vaccination. "Yes," I said, "but we're waiting two weeks for the COVID booster because that's what the pharmacist said." He raised his eyebrows, so I said, "Why is that exactly?" His response: "I have no idea. People make shit up."

I love my new allergist!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: October 07, 2021, 09:55:34 PM »
So why don't you go out and tell some unvaccinated black folks "youíre being a damn fool; get the shot." And then tell them you refuse to apologize for calling them foolish.  (That is how you put it, right?) Or you can call up your local BLM chapter and do the same thing. Be sure to leave your name, address, and phone number in case they want to follow up.
Me:
My, my! The systemic racism that lurks behind those words! You say I should hassle strangers in the grocery store, but suggest that if I do the same thing to African-Americans, Iím putting myself and my house in danger. Poop on that. Iím more worried about nuts who might be carrying a weapon in the supermarket.

"The systemic racism that lurks behind those words!" I suggested no such thing. You were the one who boasted, "I  would say, 'youíre being a damn fool; get the shot.'"  I just challenged you do exactly what you have claimed you would do for a demographic that has a very high rate of vaccination. (You can also throw in selfish, stupid, and some other terms you've used to refer to the vaccine resistant on this board if you'd like.) I figure the Minneapolis BLM folks would be able to pass your message along.

And, just in case those BLM folks would like to follow up with you, you can leave your address and phone number with those you speak to.

Finally, let us know how that goes. That was all I said.

*You* inferred racism, which I guess says a lot about where your mind is.

You see, I've done exactly what I challenged you to do.  A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the need to be vaccinated with some unvaxxed black inmates. We had a great conversation. I listened to their concerns and I encouraged them to get vaccinated along with their families. I gave them my card with my church address and phone number in case their family members would like to call me. They thanked me for the conversation.

Afterwards, I met with the head of BLM-Dedham to see how I might be able to encourage the black community in Dedham towards vaccination. I gave her my name, address, and phone number. That conversation went very well also. We'll talk again after I get back from vacation.

Only thing was, I didn't tell these black folks, 'Youíre being a damn fool; get the shot," as you boasted you would do. I just thought you could try out your way and see if it works any better than mine with the same demographic. That's not "systemic racism" that's reality.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5194 on: October 07, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »
In a larger context, then, your words take on a different aura. Thank you for the work youíre doing.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: October 07, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
As a rule, more flies are caught in honey than in vinegar.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5196 on: October 07, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
J. Thomas Shelley:
Me:
Not in New Jersey and parts of Brooklyn.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: October 07, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
J. Thomas Shelley:
Me:
Not in New Jersey and parts of Brooklyn.
OK....North Jersey, maybe.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: October 08, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Here's an extensive analysis of reported COVID-19 conditions in Minnesota from yesterday.  The base data is from the State:
https://healthy-skeptic.com/2021/10/07/relative-death-risks/

As to hospitalization of children due to COVID-19 since the pandemic began, NYT issued a minor correction to their previously reported 600,000 900,000*: their correction is to 62,000 hospitalizations.  Many have been reported as due to false positives from the huge ramp-up in testing requirements as the school year commenced.

(* Modified to correct copying error: Troubled by being my own editor, but apparently one more than the NYT)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 02:03:55 PM by Randy Bosch »

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #5199 on: October 08, 2021, 09:42:47 AM »
So why don't you go out and tell some unvaccinated black folks "youíre being a damn fool; get the shot." And then tell them you refuse to apologize for calling them foolish.  (That is how you put it, right?) Or you can call up your local BLM chapter and do the same thing. Be sure to leave your name, address, and phone number in case they want to follow up.
Me:
My, my! The systemic racism that lurks behind those words! You say I should hassle strangers in the grocery store, but suggest that if I do the same thing to African-Americans, Iím putting myself and my house in danger. Poop on that. Iím more worried about nuts who might be carrying a weapon in the supermarket.

"The systemic racism that lurks behind those words!" I suggested no such thing. You were the one who boasted, "I  would say, 'youíre being a damn fool; get the shot.'"  I just challenged you do exactly what you have claimed you would do for a demographic that has a very high rate of vaccination. (You can also throw in selfish, stupid, and some other terms you've used to refer to the vaccine resistant on this board if you'd like.) I figure the Minneapolis BLM folks would be able to pass your message along.

And, just in case those BLM folks would like to follow up with you, you can leave your address and phone number with those you speak to.

Finally, let us know how that goes. That was all I said.

*You* inferred racism, which I guess says a lot about where your mind is.

You see, I've done exactly what I challenged you to do.  A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the need to be vaccinated with some unvaxxed black inmates. We had a great conversation. I listened to their concerns and I encouraged them to get vaccinated along with their families. I gave them my card with my church address and phone number in case their family members would like to call me. They thanked me for the conversation.

Afterwards, I met with the head of BLM-Dedham to see how I might be able to encourage the black community in Dedham towards vaccination. I gave her my name, address, and phone number. That conversation went very well also. We'll talk again after I get back from vacation.

Only thing was, I didn't tell these black folks, 'Youíre being a damn fool; get the shot," as you boasted you would do. I just thought you could try out your way and see if it works any better than mine with the same demographic. That's not "systemic racism" that's reality.

More, if you tried that approach ("you're being a damn fool; get the shot") in my part of West Georgia, you'd likely get a similar response.

A basic rule, articulated more gently above as "more flies are caught in honey than vinegar," is what my dad told a particularly belligerent man in an Idaho restaurant when we were visiting when I was a teenager:  "Be careful not to say things that might make your nose hurt......"
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: October 08, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »
As Charles Austin celebrates his 80th birthday this year,
He might want to tone down his macho act of calling folks
XXXX fools.  There is the matter of someone deciding to
bust you in the mouth for that type of language. 

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #5201 on: October 08, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
When New York starts worrying about not having enough people living there, we will have a host of other problems. :)

Ah, but they do care:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/new-york-to-lose-a-congressional-seat-in-2022/article_c1156914-a69f-11eb-9d0a-cfab8b67f984.html

NY has lost seats since the 1940s. Letting the old die off and letting the young and able go does not add up. Even with more elbow room, people are leaving. Speaks volumes.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: October 08, 2021, 10:08:32 AM »

Ah, but they do care:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/new-york-to-lose-a-congressional-seat-in-2022/article_c1156914-a69f-11eb-9d0a-cfab8b67f984.html

NY has lost seats since the 1940s. Letting the old die off and letting the young and able go does not add up. Even with more elbow room, people are leaving. Speaks volumes.

Snake Plissken, a much older more passive aggressive version perhaps, must be helping people get out...

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #5203 on: October 08, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
I said, "Why is that exactly?" His response: "I have no idea. People make shit up."

In June, the head of the clinical research department where I receive regular care for rheumatoid arthritis told me that if they followed their protocols the way the vaccine trials were conducted, they would lose their licensure as a research site for new medications, and potentially face criminal charges. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: October 08, 2021, 12:06:36 PM »
I said, "Why is that exactly?" His response: "I have no idea. People make shit up."

In June, the head of the clinical research department where I receive regular care for rheumatoid arthritis told me that if they followed their protocols the way the vaccine trials were conducted, they would lose their licensure as a research site for new medications, and potentially face criminal charges.
Thatís the trade-off in emergencies. When time is of the essence, you just have to do it, safeguards be damned. Thatís also why our gut reaction to people saying we have to act now should be skepticism. Salesman want you to act now. People wanting to get around the process insist this is an emergency. Look at all the election laws illegally changed last year because of Covid, and now every attempt to change them back is called voter suppression. If the school building is on fire, the test can wait, just get outside. So kids who donít want to take the test have an incentive to pull fire alarms. A huge percentage of emergencies arenít really emergencies, but someone is always benefiting from the fact that emergencies suspend the normal rules. People who treat every problem like WWIIó we have to drop everything and come together to get this done!ó are often just finding that the normal process of deliberation and votes wonít go their way, so they for it to be an emergency.

In the case of the vaccine, we knew that up front. Operation Warp Speed granted permissions and circumvented the normal procedures for developing pharmaceuticals because a vaccine three to five years from now doesnít do any good even if it is a much better vaccine. So it was a known trade off, and the vaccine was developed in record time. But it was also developed under emergency conditions without the usual safeguards. Thatís just by necessity. So to ridicule those who have their doubts and concerns is to say that all the  processes that normally cause a new drug or vaccine to take multiple years in development are all useless and should be permanently thrown out for other drugs, too.

If youíre racing against time to get to the hospital, you ignore the speed limit. But you canít then say you were being fully safe driving 100 mph. You werenít. You were taking on risk due to an emergency. And the risk is real, and people are wise to take it into account. Most speeders are not in an emergency, but if they get pulled over they would love for the officer to they were. The officerís first instinct (not automatic final judgment, but first instinct) should be to doubt that it was an emergency.