Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 399621 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3885 on: June 25, 2021, 02:15:43 PM »
Lighten up.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." - Erica Jong

Wait -  you visited Erica Jong at her home? 
Did she exhibit a fear of flying?

Dave Benke

How does one exhibit a fear of flying in their home?  Legos on the floor?

It's possible you may not have read the book under that title by Ms. Jong.

Dave Benke
Or that he has and is messing with you.  :D

Peace,
Michael

I was instructed hereon to lighten up...

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
That's how the light gets in"
--Leonard Cohen (didn't visit his house, either).

Hallelujah!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Dave Benke

A much better version with the sweetest kids. Especially at 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrsAcTg8j8

Definitely - I wanted to send one with Randy's bff  Leonard Cohen in the actual video. 
We do the other/adapted version in Brooklyn; maybe it will make LSBII.  But we're also pushing for "Jesus:  O What a Wonderful Child" by Randy's homegirl Mariah Carey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVK8XH1ulY&list=RDGMEMz3e4vKpJzevZUeQNb5kIlg&index=18.  Our version is of course slightly better than this because we're Lutheran and can sing the fast stuff while dancing like Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine, whom Randy schooled in the fine arts along with the whole Gong Show crew.

Randy Bosch - friend and mentor to so many, an EveryDay Confessional Lutheran!

Dave Benke

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: June 25, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »

Thanks for that! It's an achievement. The additional lyrics are explained
The song is a reworked version with lyrics by American Christian rock band Cloverton that was put on YouTube in 2014.
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/girl-autisim-s-christmas-remake-hallelujah-goes-viral-n699781

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: June 25, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
Lighten up.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." - Erica Jong

Wait -  you visited Erica Jong at her home? 
Did she exhibit a fear of flying?

Dave Benke

How does one exhibit a fear of flying in their home?  Legos on the floor?

Have you never had a four-year-old?  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: June 25, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »

Thanks for that! It's an achievement. The additional lyrics are explained
The song is a reworked version with lyrics by American Christian rock band Cloverton that was put on YouTube in 2014.
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/girl-autisim-s-christmas-remake-hallelujah-goes-viral-n699781

Peace,
Michael

The video is moving and beautiful. Even so, the music to me conveys deep emptiness and sadness. The lyrics tell of offering hallelujahs to false gods. The resulting fall and its consequences are predictable.

I love the song for its melancholic truth. Hearing it sung without irony and in praise of the true God doesn’t really work, in my view. It robs the song of its powerful and tragic message.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: June 25, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
I know what you mean James. The Cohen song is a beautiful song, but I have never really understood the use of Hallelujah in it. (A favorite YouTube version of mine is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ) In our era when cultural appropriation has become taboo, it still annoys me that cultural appropriation from Judaism and Christianity is considered perfectly appropriate.

I appreciate the expression of faith of Kaylee Rodgers and am unsurprised that she used this song that has become so popular and uses the word Hallelujah if not its meaning. She did it well. But I agree the melancholy melody does not exactly fit the joy of her lyrics. Perhaps a bit of reverse cultural appropriation?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: June 26, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
More evidence that the vaccines are working.

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3891 on: June 30, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »
Responding to Pastor Fienen’s comment elsewhere:
No, I don’t think we should “force” everyone to be vaccinated. But I do think we should put restrictions on what those who are not vaccinated can do.
For example, already today children who are not vaccinated for certain things cannot come in to our public schools.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: June 30, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »
Responding to Pastor Fienen’s comment elsewhere:
No, I don’t think we should “force” everyone to be vaccinated. But I do think we should put restrictions on what those who are not vaccinated can do.
For example, already today children who are not vaccinated for certain things cannot come in to our public schools.

Well, Minnesota (for example) DOES have both medical and non-medical exemptions from school vaccinations.  https://www.health.state.mn.us/people/immunize/basics/exemption.html. Would you accept the same standard for COVID vaccinations?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3893 on: June 30, 2021, 08:49:58 PM »
You missed the point. Give people an “exemption” from being vaccinated. But then make it clear that there will be certain things in society that they cannot do. Maybe hold certain jobs. Maybe work in government. Maybe work for certain employers. Maybe have access to certain programs or events. Maybe do a whole list of things that, in their unvaccinated state, would make them dangerous to others.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: June 30, 2021, 09:01:55 PM »
You missed the point. Give people an “exemption” from being vaccinated. But then make it clear that there will be certain things in society that they cannot do. Maybe hold certain jobs. Maybe work in government. Maybe work for certain employers. Maybe have access to certain programs or events. Maybe do a whole list of things that, in their unvaccinated state, would make them dangerous to others.

Oh, like second-class citizens with limited rights and privileges.  I get it.  Or maybe you mean to give them separate-but-equal facilities/opportunities.  By the way, the current exemptions for school vaccinations do not require (or even allow, I believe) for those students to be excluded from programs or events (your other suggestions, like not allowing them certain jobs or employment, do not really fit with school kids).

But if the vaccine protects you like we are told, then why are you worried if I am not vaccinated?  And if the unvaccinated choose that, and become infected, that is their choice.  My body, my choice!  Or aren't you for choice anymore?  Or only when the choice agrees with yours?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:07:55 PM by Steven W Bohler »

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: June 30, 2021, 09:05:22 PM »

And who's goIng to implement these restrictions?
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3896 on: June 30, 2021, 09:09:43 PM »
What I am not for, Pastor Bohler, is the next fight that you obviously want to set up.
Nor am I interested in Pastor Kirchner’s  “how could this possibly work” dismissal.
I am of the opinion, supported by considerable evidence, that people who care about their health and the health of their neighbors, will get vaccinated.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: June 30, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »
What I am not for, Pastor Bohler, is the next fight that you obviously want to set up.
Nor am I interested in Pastor Kirchner’s  “how could this possibly work” dismissal.
I am of the opinion, supported by considerable evidence, that people who care about their health and the health of their neighbors, will get vaccinated.
Except that we all know people who care about their health and the health of their neighbor who do not get vaccinated. So your opinion is demonstrably false. The issue is not who cares about health but whose views of what constitutes healthy behavior and which experts to trust are correct. You’re making it a moral issue when it isn’t.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: June 30, 2021, 10:49:18 PM »
I think that people should get vaccinated against Covid-19 unless they have a sound medical counter indicator. But who am I to force my opinion on others? Isn't that the principle behind being pro-life and pro-choice? Publish high minded papers about making morally responsible life choices, but of course those are only opinions and nobody, certainly not the government, should try to force those opinions on others or horror or horrors penalize those who make bad choices, no that would never do. We must make sure that they are assisted in carrying out their choices whether or not we approve of them. Kill the unborn, get vaccinated, it's all a matter of choice.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3899 on: June 30, 2021, 11:11:58 PM »
Peter:
Except that we all know people who care about their health and the health of their neighbor who do not get vaccinated.
Me:
And we all know people who are foolish and just plain wrong, like those who say they care about their health and keep on smoking.

Peter:
So your opinion is demonstrably false.
Me:
See above.

Peter:
The issue is not who cares about health but whose views of what constitutes healthy behavior and which experts to trust are correct. You’re making it a moral issue when it isn’t.
Me:
Who care's how much of a "moral" issue it is? the issue is that getting the vaccine is "demonstrably" - to use your word - the right, safe, healthy thing to to and to stay unvaccinated is dangerous for the person and possibly for others.
That is not "opinion," Pastor Fienen, it is - here's that word again - "demonstrably" true.
I do not understand this off-the-wall mania about defending those who will not get vaccinated. Is it because vaccinations are supported by Democrats? By the Biden administration? By "liberals"?
Let's deep six the phony parallels between vaccinations and the other medical hot topic which rises like Godzilla whenever called.
Tell me what evidence you have that the vaccines do not work that vaccinations are not good public policy, that getting people vaccinated is not  a way to minimize the effects of the pandemic. (And I know I am gonna be sorry I asked that. I'll probably get some crackpot "wisdom" from Q.)