Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 338189 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3720 on: May 06, 2021, 03:46:57 PM »
Thank you, Dan and Don for the suggestion of the LSB CD idea.  I am checking with one of my other organists to see how much she may be available once my daughter leaves again for college, but that sounds like a viable option, and I believe one of my neighboring circuit parishes uses this.

I believe that Nadia Bolz-Weber grew her non-traditional Lutheran congregation by singing hymns without accompaniment. The voices filled the space.
That works for some people and in some cultural settings. For your typical Lutheran congregation, having no accompaniment is not a good option.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: May 06, 2021, 04:45:39 PM »
Thank you, Dan and Don for the suggestion of the LSB CD idea.  I am checking with one of my other organists to see how much she may be available once my daughter leaves again for college, but that sounds like a viable option, and I believe one of my neighboring circuit parishes uses this.

I believe that Nadia Bolz-Weber grew her non-traditional Lutheran congregation by singing hymns without accompaniment. The voices filled the space.
That works for some people and in some cultural settings. For your typical Lutheran congregation, having no accompaniment is not a good option.

Especially if you have only about 20 or 30 people.  It ends up being a pastor solo.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:38 PM »
Back in my parish pastor days, we had an organist who would occasionally flake out and not show up. At first I tried to cover by playing the piano, but I learned that the congregation really did just fine without accompaniment. My voice and a couple of others provided the foundation, and everyone just stepped up. People often commented that they really enjoyed it--they could hear other voices, not just the organ and their immediate neighbors.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: May 06, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
Back in my parish pastor days, we had an organist who would occasionally flake out and not show up. At first I tried to cover by playing the piano, but I learned that the congregation really did just fine without accompaniment. My voice and a couple of others provided the foundation, and everyone just stepped up. People often commented that they really enjoyed it--they could hear other voices, not just the organ and their immediate neighbors.

Long, long ago in my former life the organist had a major medical issue shortly after Christmas.   It was a challenge to find substitutes week after week so the Council and I decided that we would have an a capella Lent...with a first-class substitute doing all of Holy Week. 
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: May 07, 2021, 02:28:20 AM »

Especially if you have only about 20 or 30 people.  It ends up being a pastor solo.

Not if there are good singers in the congregation.

One Sunday on internship (I was alone because my supervisor had accepted a call to another congregation) we had no organist for our early service. I'm a pianist so I could have played the organ, but it was at the back of the nave. I suggested that we just read the lyrics to hymns. A member thought that we should sing everything as we usually did. I said that I would sing my parts (chanting the liturgy) if they would sing theirs. That's what we did. One person afterwards said that he liked that service, but we shouldn't do it more than once a year.

Marty Haugen purposely writes some call and response music. A song leader sings a part and the congregation responds. He said at a workshop a line I've used, too: "I sing my part, then you'll have to sing yours. If you don't, there will be silence; and that's really awkward." That is one of his techniques for encouraging congregational singing.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: May 07, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
My experience is that, without music, a couple of strong voices who know the hymn can serve as the base and the congregation will be fine.  If there is music, one strong voice is enough to encourage the congregation to sing out.  Of course, if a strong voice gets lost, it's a trainwreck.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: May 07, 2021, 11:00:34 AM »
To each his own, in my setting I do not intend to go to unaccompanied singing as a general rule. YMMV

Speaking of singing, one thing that I think we will see a major change in goring forward from the Covid year is in hymnal use. This had started well before in some churches. When we restarted in person worship after being shut down we removed the hymnals from general use so that we would not have to figure out some way to disinfect them. We first improvised projecting the service on a screen using the PowerPoint option in Lutheran Service Builder and then got a larger flat screen TV mounted on the wall. I'm confident that we will bring out our hymnals for people to use who want to, but I'm not sure that we will put them back in the chairs. Resistance to stopping putting the service on the screen has been expressed. I really don't think that we will go back to a printed service outline and singing from the hymnal.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: May 07, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
To each his own, in my setting I do not intend to go to unaccompanied singing as a general rule. YMMV

Speaking of singing, one thing that I think we will see a major change in goring forward from the Covid year is in hymnal use. This had started well before in some churches. When we restarted in person worship after being shut down we removed the hymnals from general use so that we would not have to figure out some way to disinfect them. We first improvised projecting the service on a screen using the PowerPoint option in Lutheran Service Builder and then got a larger flat screen TV mounted on the wall. I'm confident that we will bring out our hymnals for people to use who want to, but I'm not sure that we will put them back in the chairs. Resistance to stopping putting the service on the screen has been expressed. I really don't think that we will go back to a printed service outline and singing from the hymnal.

If I am attending a service where I know the music well enough to sing it, I like to use the projected words.  If I don't know the music, I prefer using the hymnal as I can sight-read the music well enough to sing along with the congregation.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: May 07, 2021, 11:25:00 AM »
One thing that I very recently discovered about Lutheran Service Builder is that it has the capability of including the melody line with the liturgy and hymns from the hymnal. So the tune can be projected along with the words. Now that only works for hymns and liturgy that are a part of LSB. I don't currently use the other copywrite services so I don't know if they offer that kind of service. In my services I stick pretty close to the hymnal.

With some effort, it probably would be possible to include the melody line with most other songs one would use. Of course proper copywrite permission would need to be secured. If you are using a copywrite service like CCLI, I'd suggest inquiring if they provide assistance in using material in PowerPoint or other presentation software and whether adding the melody line would be possible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:30:08 AM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3730 on: May 07, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
That release is a ridiculous piece of self-important puffery. And the remarks that follow the release, the language and attitudes expressed there, show the nature of the organization involved. Yuck.
It is as if your car accidentally ran over a mouse and you went home and said that you had killed a lion.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Randy Bosch

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: May 07, 2021, 02:00:58 PM »
“I do think that President Trump’s Operation Warp Speed was absolutely visionary to put together science, government, the military, and the private sector and just give us full empowerment. It was the right thing to do.”
Moncef Slaoui, Registered Democrat and Trump appointed Scientific Head of Operation Warp Speed as posted in Science Magazine interview on January 25, 2021

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: May 07, 2021, 11:14:12 PM »
Churches seem still to be places where virus spread is taking place:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/07/oregon-peoples-church-covid-outbreak/

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: May 08, 2021, 01:29:34 AM »
Churches seem still to be places where virus spread is taking place:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/07/oregon-peoples-church-covid-outbreak/

My home church in Oregon still has not had inservice worship. In contrast, an ELCA congregation in my present town in Arizona never stopped holding inservice worship (with precautions). The pastor says that no one has caught COVID by attending a worship service there.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: May 10, 2021, 09:57:49 AM »
From the New York Times:

Schools Are Open, but Many Families Remain Hesitant to Return

Even as fears of the coronavirus abate, many students are continuing to opt out of in-person learning. Some school leaders are trying to woo — or push — them back.

Only a small slice of American schools remain fully closed: 12 percent of elementary and middle schools, according to a federal survey, as well as a minority of high schools. But the percentage of students learning fully remotely is much greater: more than a third of fourth and eighth graders, and an even larger group of high school students. A majority of Black, Hispanic and Asian-American students remain out of school.

These disparities have put district leaders and policymakers in a tough position as they end this school year and plan for the next one. Even though the pandemic appears to be coming under control in the United States as vaccinations continue, many superintendents say fear of the coronavirus itself is no longer the primary reason their students are opting out. Nor are many families expressing a strong preference for remote learning.

Rather, for every child and parent who has leaped at the opportunity to return to the classroom, others changed their lives over the past year in ways that make going back to school difficult. The consequences are likely to reverberate through the education system for years, especially if states and districts continue to give students the choice to attend school remotely.

Teenagers from low-income families have taken on heavy loads of paid work, especially because so many parents lost jobs. Parents made new child care arrangements to get through the long months of school closures and part-time hours, and are now loath to disrupt established routines. Some families do not know that local public schools have reopened, because of language barriers or lack of effective communication from districts.

Experts have coined the term “school hesitancy” to describe the remarkably durable resistance to a return to traditional learning. Some wonder whether the pandemic has simply upended people’s choices about how to live, with the location of schooling — like the location of office work — now up for grabs. But others see the phenomenon as a social and educational crisis for children that must be combated — a challenge akin to vaccine hesitancy....

n March, half of Black and Hispanic children, and two-thirds of Asian-American children, were enrolled in remote school, compared with 20 percent of white students, according to the latest federal data. While most district leaders and policymakers believe that the classroom is the best place for children and teenagers to learn, many are hesitant to apply pressure to families who have lived through a traumatic year.

An added complication is continued opposition to full-time, in-person learning from some teachers and district officials, with unions arguing that widespread vaccination of educators, and soon teenagers as well, does not eliminate the need for physical distancing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to advise three to six feet of distancing in schools. In that context, students who opt out create the space necessary to serve students who prefer to be in person....

...for many months, some education and children’s health experts have warned about the social and academic consequences of extended remote learning.

Hopefully you can access the entire article at the link below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/09/us/covid-school-reopening-virtual-learning.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210510&instance_id=30528&nl=the-morning&regi_id=96069183&segment_id=57667&te=1&user_id=f513d46ebc73b988def4c2178d04ed50
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI