Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 654089 times)

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3675 on: April 29, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
And, for once, Charles must be appreciative of Dan’s on the one hand-on the other hand post admonishing us to be more aware of Charles’ suffering during the pandemic.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3676 on: April 29, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
I am not saying any of those things specifically to anyone, Pastor Butler. You are again overworking every single one of my comments.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis. Preaching and presiding for Episcopalians next Sunday.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: April 29, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
I am not saying any of those things specifically to anyone, Pastor Butler. You are again overworking every single one of my comments.

I am not "overworking" your comments. I'm trying to understand your point.

We are talking about a specific comment that you made about a catechumen's essay, an essay in which you used scare quotes around the words "trauma" and "normal." When I said you could be a bit more pastoral in approach--which Dan correctly identified as thoughtful and compassionate--you then said that "pastoral" means we need to be prophetic and tell people they are being foolish. Considering how you downplayed her concerns, then you comments about telling someone they are being out of line and foolish naturally followed.

So, if you aren't referring to the catechumen's essay--which is the topic under discussion--then what are you talking about?

BTW, call me Jim. I'm pretty informal when it comes to titles on discussion boards like this one. Thanks.

The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: April 29, 2021, 02:14:50 PM »
New York City opens fully (100%) on July 1!!  We just received that announcement this morning.  Wow!  Fully capacity, this states, for restaurants, sports events, and Broadway, among all the others.  And fully open schools in the fall.  This is the result of dropping indicators of virus infection and is due in great part to 6.3 million vaccinations in NYC to date.  In our part of the city, still over-infected and under-vaccinated, encouragement to push ahead.
On the plus side, pretty much everything.  Hot time, summer in the city.
On the minus side, traffic.

That's incredible. Massachusetts is about a month behind you. Boston is about two months behind. I wonder how much pressure this will put on the acting mayor. But seriously great news!

The second announcement made by the mayor was unfortunately necessary.  He announced the Jacob DeGrom Support Fund, which promises live bats to be supplied for DeGrom's pitching starts, since once again last night the Mets lost 1-0 when he was pitching, the umpteenth time he gives up one or zero runs and either loses or gets no decision.

Dave Benke

Well, if they got some hitting behind Thor, that might help. But I'm a Royals/Cards fan, so what I can tell you?

Given what they did to the Cubs in 1969, I am never sorry to see the Mets lose!  The Cubs, after all, are firmly planted on Lutheran ground; Wrigley Field sits on land that once was home to a Lutheran seminary.

I’m not sure what it means to be a “Royals/Cards” fan. To help us sort that out, perhaps you could share your opinion of Don Denkinger? 

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: April 29, 2021, 02:27:47 PM »
And sometimes it can be “pastoral“, if we have to use that word, to say clearly “you’re wrong, ““you’re out of line,” or even “you are being incredibly foolish.“
In addition to being “pastoral,“ which always seems to me to have a mushy context, at times we are called to be prophetic and to proclaim the truth, sometimes that truth being more than “Jesus is Lord.”  People in this modest forum are not very “Pastor,” in the usual use of that word, towards those who are fervently, and even piously “pro choice.”

In a speech on leadership by Ed Friedman at a synod theological convocation, he stated that what actual shepherds (from where we get "pastor") do is not to coddle the sheep, but to hit them in the ass with their rod to make them go where they're supposed to go.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: April 29, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
And sometimes it can be “pastoral“, if we have to use that word, to say clearly “you’re wrong, ““you’re out of line,” or even “you are being incredibly foolish.“
In addition to being “pastoral,“ which always seems to me to have a mushy context, at times we are called to be prophetic and to proclaim the truth, sometimes that truth being more than “Jesus is Lord.”  People in this modest forum are not very “Pastor,” in the usual use of that word, towards those who are fervently, and even piously “pro choice.”

In a speech on leadership by Ed Friedman at a synod theological convocation, he stated that what actual shepherds (from where we get "pastor") do is not to coddle the sheep, but to hit them in the ass with their rod to make them go where they're supposed to go.

I’m not sure that that is the wisest way for a pastor to describe his interactions with his parishioners.  While middle-school boys might laugh, middle-aged women would certainly not.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: April 29, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
Wait for it...
Don Kirchner

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3682 on: April 29, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
Any metaphor can be stretched too far. That is a prime objection I have to some of Peter’s postings.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis. Preaching and presiding for Episcopalians next Sunday.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: April 29, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
Any metaphor can be stretched too far. That is a prime objection I have to some of Peter’s postings.

That.  And, let's not forget, because he "despises liberals".  And his "world view, sectarian theology, right-wing political stance, refusal to accept correction, and his arrogance".  But mostly because he stretches metaphors.  :)

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: April 29, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »
New York City opens fully (100%) on July 1!!  We just received that announcement this morning.  Wow!  Fully capacity, this states, for restaurants, sports events, and Broadway, among all the others.  And fully open schools in the fall.  This is the result of dropping indicators of virus infection and is due in great part to 6.3 million vaccinations in NYC to date.  In our part of the city, still over-infected and under-vaccinated, encouragement to push ahead.
On the plus side, pretty much everything.  Hot time, summer in the city.
On the minus side, traffic.

That's incredible. Massachusetts is about a month behind you. Boston is about two months behind. I wonder how much pressure this will put on the acting mayor. But seriously great news!

The second announcement made by the mayor was unfortunately necessary.  He announced the Jacob DeGrom Support Fund, which promises live bats to be supplied for DeGrom's pitching starts, since once again last night the Mets lost 1-0 when he was pitching, the umpteenth time he gives up one or zero runs and either loses or gets no decision.

Dave Benke

Well, if they got some hitting behind Thor, that might help. But I'm a Royals/Cards fan, so what I can tell you?

Given what they did to the Cubs in 1969, I am never sorry to see the Mets lose!  The Cubs, after all, are firmly planted on Lutheran ground; Wrigley Field sits on land that once was home to a Lutheran seminary.

I’m not sure what it means to be a “Royals/Cards” fan. To help us sort that out, perhaps you could share your opinion of Don Denkinger?

As to the Cubbies, I loved their World Series winning team. Ben Zobrist was one of the best players ever. We KC fans are forever indebted to him for our 2015 Series win. That made Zobrist one of the few (only?) players to win back-to-back Series on two different teams.

Growing up in KC, I love the Royals. Going to seminary in St. Louis, I spent many good hours watching the Cards and went to Busch for several games, so I started following them as well. Now a high school classmate from St. Paul’s, Concordia MO is working for the Cards so that gives me more reasons to follow them.

Don Denkinger—one of the worst calls ever. Whitey Herzog had every reason to be mad as hell about it. Of course, with today’s HD cameras and the opportunity to challenge calls, it would be overturned. Which—in both football and baseball—I’ve always considered a negative. Bad calls—and I’ve endured them both ways—are simply part of the game. (I should note that I consider Herzog to be one of the best managers KC and St. Louis ever had.)
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #3685 on: April 29, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Don Denkinger—one of the worst calls ever.
This lifelong Royals fan agrees, although since he immediately pointed at the base, I have always suspected that he believed that Todd Worrell's foot missed it, rather than that Jorge Orta got there first. The side of Worrell's foot was against the side of the base, so Denkinger still got it wrong, but the call is not quite so egregious from that standpoint.

And to be fair, it was not his fault that Jack Clark subsequently missed a foul pop-up; nor that Darrell Porter then got crossed up on a slider and had it bounce off his mitt for a passed ball; nor that Joaquin Andujar, Whitey Herzog, and the entire Cardinals team completely imploded the next day.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: April 29, 2021, 06:35:53 PM »
And some of us have felt called to be pastoral in your sense and to say clearly "you're wrong" and be prophetic, proclaiming the truth against those who are fervently and piously "pro choice" who are completely willing to sacrifice the innocent on the altar of choice and women being in control of their bodies. I understand that choice and control over one's body is a good thing when choosing abortion but something horrid when it comes to vaccination. Then there should be no choice.

(You brought abortion into this discussion.)
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: April 29, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »
And some of us have felt called to be pastoral in your sense and to say clearly "you're wrong" and be prophetic, proclaiming the truth against those who are fervently and piously "pro choice" who are completely willing to sacrifice the innocent on the altar of choice and women being in control of their bodies. I understand that choice and control over one's body is a good thing when choosing abortion but something horrid when it comes to vaccination. Then there should be no choice.

Except for the story of Jonah (probably more of a folk tale that literal history,) none of the other prophetic books show prophets being successful. They all failed to convert the people back to God's way. If you want to be prophetic, so be it. Expect to fail.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:03:28 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: April 29, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
Uh oh! Brian just turned on Charles.   :o

But rest easy. His illogic hasn't changed. The fallacies still abound.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:58:59 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3689 on: May 01, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
Some of the new variations of the virus are believed to be dangerously contagious. All the more reason for there to be a big big push for vaccinations and that something strong must be said to those who are putting down the need for vaccinations or refusing to take them. . And it is interesting to me that some of the “reach out“ programs that have been in the news are making use of clergy and their churches to encourage people to take the vaccines.