Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 303975 times)

James S. Rustad

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3391 on: March 24, 2021, 02:38:06 PM »
A paper that asks a really interesting question.

Why Is All COVID-19 News Bad News?

We analyze the tone of COVID-19 related English-language news articles written since January 1, 2020. Ninety one percent of stories by U.S. major media outlets are negative in tone versus fifty four percent for non-U.S. major sources and sixty five percent for scientific journals. The negativity of the U.S. major media is notable even in areas with positive scientific developments including school re-openings and vaccine trials. Media negativity is unresponsive to changing trends in new COVID-19 cases or the political leanings of the audience. U.S. major media readers strongly prefer negative stories about COVID-19, and negative stories in general. Stories of increasing COVID-19 cases outnumber stories of decreasing cases by a factor of 5.5 even during periods when new cases are declining.

Weedon

« Reply #3392 on: March 24, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
I suppose this is COVID news. Dear friends contacted us in late February and proposed a trip to Mexico. We hesitated...for about two seconds. Both the wife and I are vaccinated and we had missed these folks more than words can begin to tell. Most of the six who went were either fully or partially vaccinated. We ended up having an absolutely wonderful time in a resort that was only 30% full. We all got our test to come home. Since they began testing back in January this resort has had ZERO cases. We all passed with flying colors, and arrived back in the US last night. Aside from the nasty mask wearing on board the airplanes and in the terminal for all those hours, it was really amazingly painless. It *almost* felt normal again. At the resort we wore the mask only in the restaurants when we were not seated at our table.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:43:11 PM by Weedon »

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: March 24, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »
I suppose this is COVID news. Dear friends contacted us in late February and proposed a trip to Mexico. We hesitated...for about two seconds. Both the wife and I are vaccinated and we had missed these folks more than words can begin to tell. Most of the six who went were either fully or partially vaccinated. We ended up having an absolutely wonderful time in a resort that was only 30% full. We all got our test to come home. Since they began testing back in January this resort has had ZERO cases. We all passed with flying colors, and arrived back in the US last night. Aside from the nasty mask wearing on board the airplanes and in the terminal for all those hours, it was really amazingly painless. It *almost* felt normal again. At the resort we wore the mask only in the restaurants when we were not seated at our table.
Color me a bit green, with envy. We had planned a fantastic trip for this coming June to Alaska with a cruise along the inside passage. Since it would have ended in Vancouver, B.C. and we would have flown home from there. Our trip was canceled when Canada closed it's ports to all cruises until February, 2022. We rebooked for 2022. This is the second time that our trip (originally planned for 2020) got canceled and rebooked. Rats!

Our congregational ladies (LWML) were scheduled to host our zone spring LWML Rally in April of 2020, canceled until Fall, 2020, canceled until Spring, 2021, canceled now until Fall, 2021. Our ladies have decided that three strikes and they're out and requested that the next LWML guild in the zone host the Fall Rally.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:54:02 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Weedon

« Reply #3394 on: March 24, 2021, 07:51:24 PM »
Dan, Iím hoping you get to have your 2022 cruise! I have friends up in Canada and it is certainly more restrictive there. Certainly, though, by 2022, right? Iíve been to Canada several times, but never up in that BC area. And since the pictures up that way are breathtaking and never do justice to what you see with your eyes, Iím sure it would be a wonderful voyage. Meanwhile, if you want to look south rather than north, Mexico is waiting...with sunshine and warmth, the Caribbean and amazing food, and also stunning flora and fauna. This trip featured coatis, agoutis, howler monkeys, peacocks a plenty (noisy things!), and a beautiful pair of Tucans. Oh, and one day we got to watch a troop of pelicans dive bombing for breakfast as the sun rose behind them.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0442DtBQUAOnSyoeimP7G87mA#Playa_Car_Fase_I
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:58:26 PM by Weedon »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3395 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »
Sounds as if you were in or near Cancun or somewhere on the YucatŠn peninsula. Iíve been there many times and it is one of my favorite parts of the world. Looking forward to going again. We are great fans of the Iberostar resorts.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolinaís Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Weedon

« Reply #3396 on: March 24, 2021, 09:54:14 PM »
Yup, thatís our happy place. We are members of Iberostar. I donít remember how many times weíve enjoyed that area. We first went for our 25th wedding anniversary; then went to Barcelo Maya with friends; then to Barcelo again with all the family in 2012; then numerous times over the years since to Iberostar. And I hope, God may grant us many times more. We donít do sports or theatre or even movies. But we do enjoy a week or two in Mexico every year and that is what we save up towards. And in the good old days pre-covid, it was just a three hour flight from St. Louis and you walked out in paradise. Of course, we also enjoy a good cruise. Not sure when THAT will happen again, but unlike Dan, I have prefer the warmth of the Caribbean or the coast of Baja to anything up in the colder north. Give me sun!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:59:49 PM by Weedon »

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: March 24, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
Yup, thatís our happy place. We are members of Iberostar. I donít remember how many times weíve enjoyed that area. We first went for our 25th wedding anniversary; then went to Barcelo Maya with friends; then to Barcelo again with all the family in 2012; then numerous times over the years since to Iberostar. And I hope, God may grant us many times more. We donít do sports or theatre or even movies. But we do enjoy a week or two in Mexico every year and that is what we save up towards. And in the good old days pre-covid, it was just a three hour flight from St. Louis and you walked out in paradise. Of course, we also enjoy a good cruise. Not sure when THAT will happen again, but unlike Dan, I have prefer the warmth of the Caribbean or the coast of Baja to anything up in the colder north. Give me sun!!!

Yuma is officially the sunniest place on earth.
https://www.jetsetter.com/magazine/sunniest-places-in-the-world/#:~:text=Yuma%2C%20Arizona%20takes%20the%20cake,a%20haven%20for%20the%20outdoorsy.

However, there is warmth and there is hot. (Here, "hot" is over 110ļ. Average for June and July is about 106ļ.) Staying indoors all summer is normal. The pandemic didn't affect us all that much.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3398 on: March 25, 2021, 04:53:23 AM »
the prices this year for the Iberostars in Cancun and down towards Playa del Carman were terrific; but Beloved Spouse and other family members wanted to be cautious, so....
We will gather with 18 of the family at a giant house on North Carolina's Outer Banks in June, a birthday party postponed from last year. Our niece is organizing it for her 50th birthday, it is our 80th, and a couple of others hit 65. It will be our first travel since the 2019 season. Missed Europe last year, didn't do Florida in either winter. Major foreign travel may still be a problem, but we look forward to the family gathering on the beach.
Can't see doing a cruise, or having another cruise be much fun with the added restrictions. But if one wants to do the Panama Canal or the Vancouver-Alaska run, a ship is the way to do it.
Also possible this summer, a few days in Door County, Wisconsin, to relive vacations of the early 1970s. And maybe- Iceland.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolinaís Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:57 AM »
the prices this year for the Iberostars in Cancun and down towards Playa del Carman were terrific; but Beloved Spouse and other family members wanted to be cautious, so....
We will gather with 18 of the family at a giant house on North Carolina's Outer Banks in June, a birthday party postponed from last year. Our niece is organizing it for her 50th birthday, it is our 80th, and a couple of others hit 65. It will be our first travel since the 2019 season. Missed Europe last year, didn't do Florida in either winter. Major foreign travel may still be a problem, but we look forward to the family gathering on the beach.
Can't see doing a cruise, or having another cruise be much fun with the added restrictions. But if one wants to do the Panama Canal or the Vancouver-Alaska run, a ship is the way to do it.
Also possible this summer, a few days in Door County, Wisconsin, to relive vacations of the early 1970s. And maybe- Iceland.

If you have not been to Door County since the early '70's, you will not recognize it. So much development and building. 

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: March 25, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
If you want to vacation and see part of God's majestic creation, then you might
consider Rocky Mountain National Park.  You can stay in Estes Park, Colorado.
To view the snow-capped mountain peaks will have you singing the hymn:
"How Great Thou Art"  within a few minutes.  One of the most scenic places in
our nation.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3401 on: March 25, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
Been through Rocky Mountain National Park twice. A truly great place for forest and mountain scenery. But my time in Europe spoiled me for mountains. If it isn't the Alps....

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: March 25, 2021, 07:03:58 PM »
If you want to vacation and see part of God's majestic creation, then you might
consider Rocky Mountain National Park.  You can stay in Estes Park, Colorado.
To view the snow-capped mountain peaks will have you singing the hymn:
"How Great Thou Art"  within a few minutes.  One of the most scenic places in
our nation.

I've often been to Estes Park. The Rocky Mountain Synod held its Bishop's Convocation there. Wartburg Seminary's Academy of the Rockies a few miles south of Estes Park at Meeker Lodge. However, growing up in Oregon and Washington, the view of Mt. Hood (11,250' high) out our kitchen window (facing east,) which remained snow-capped all year long. And, on clear days, we could also see Mt. Adams (12,281' high,) Mt. St. Helens (8.366' high) to the north and Mt. Jefferson (10,500' high) to the south. Our son in Seattle can see Mt. Rainier (14,411' high) from his apartment. While these heights are as tall as the highest peaks in the Rockies (Mt. Elbert at 14,440'), we are looking at them from about 50' above sea level in Portland and 175' in Seattle compared to 5,280' in Denver. I was pretty disappointed when living in Denver looking at the range of peaks in the Rockies.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: March 26, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: March 26, 2021, 05:34:14 PM »
A very helpful graphic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExXgLTpXEAMHuyy?format=jpg&name=900x900

Interesting that only Washington D.C. has a "numerical cap."

Wisconsin, my state, which is listed among those without restrictions, has had no restrictions on worship attendance since about mid-May of last year when the Wisc. Supreme Court struck down Gov. Ever's "Safer at Home" executive order.  His mask order, however, still stands, I think. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI