Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 157105 times)

JEdwards

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #2655 on: October 29, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
More emerging evidence on the potential value of masking:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/mask-mandates-lower-rates-coronavirus-hospitalizations

Please consider our common call “not hurt or harm our neighbor in his body, but help and support him in every physical need.”

Peace,
Jon

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: October 29, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/health/mask-mandates-lower-rates-coronavirus-hospitalizations

Please consider our common call “not hurt or harm our neighbor in his body, but help and support him in every physical need.”

Peace,
Jon

Another take: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14458-bacteria-were-the-real-killers-in-1918-flu-pandemic/

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: October 29, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »

Peace,
Jon

Another take: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14458-bacteria-were-the-real-killers-in-1918-flu-pandemic/

Interesting article, but I'm not sure why you consider it "another take" on "coronavirus news" in general, or the efficacy of masking in particular.  This article was published over 12 years ago and doesn't address masking at all.  I don't think anyone disputes that it's a good thing to have antibiotics on hand to treat bacterial pneumonia, which can occur as a complication of viral pneumonia or as a completely separate entity.

Peace,
Jon

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: October 29, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
https://issuesinsights.com/2020/10/29/5-more-covid-charts-democrats-and-the-press-dont-want-you-to-see/

The charts rather than the text are make this article really worthwhile.

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: October 29, 2020, 08:40:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 08:41:40 PM by James »
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: November 09, 2020, 06:26:33 PM »
Remember the ridicule heaped on those who thought a vaccine was coming this year?

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective
Pfizer announced positive early results from its coronavirus vaccine trial, cementing the lead in a frenzied global race that has unfolded at record-breaking speed.

Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2661 on: November 09, 2020, 06:28:40 PM »
I don’t think I “heaped” anything, but if I did, I’m glad I was wrong.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 09, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
I don’t think I “heaped” anything, but if I did, I’m glad I was wrong.

Well, I didn't say it was necessarily you, but:

Pastor Engebretson:
We can learn to live with this terrible pandemic.
Me:
But not forever.
We need to learn how to live in such a way that the pandemic can be suppressed or even eliminated completely.
This requires leadership. Local leadership. State leadership. National leadership.
It requires leadership that cares about people rather than the economy. We have enough money to fix the economy if we need to.
We should be more concerned about the sickness and death that we cannot fix among our brothers and sisters. The primary concern ought to be how the virus spreads, and the health of our people, not whether or not schools, restaurants  or stores, or football arenas are open.
All I hear from what passes for national leadership today is how we have to open everything up.
All I hear from what passes for national leadership today is how Saving the lives and health of our people might be hurting the economy.
All I hear from the media who are in love with what passes for national leadership are additional lies including the recent articles which contend  “most of these people would’ve died anyway.” That is inhumane nonsense, and a moral atrocity.
All I hear from what passes for national leadership today is how we have turned the corner and the virus is somehow or other mysteriously disappearing  and that we’re gonna have a vaccine any minute now.
Any sane person knows is not true, should shout “liar!”, And refuse to listen to anyone who speaks such nonsense.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:10:44 PM by James S. Rustad »

WJV

• View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: November 09, 2020, 07:27:37 PM »
The presumptive next president is certainly surrounding himself with winners as he kicks off planning for COVID: https://ricochet.com/822445/bidens-covid-task-force-includes-doctor-who-wishes-biden-died-2-years-ago/

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: November 09, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »
The presumptive next president is certainly surrounding himself with winners as he kicks off planning for COVID: https://ricochet.com/822445/bidens-covid-task-force-includes-doctor-who-wishes-biden-died-2-years-ago/

That is a ridiculous assessment of what the doctor said.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

WJV

• View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 09, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »
But you did read what the doctor actually said, right? Never mind the editorializing. If this is where a possible administration starts asking advice on life issues, the goose is well past cooked. While they've so far barely done more than sit on their hands rather than applaud over the years, at least there's a ghost of a possibility that there could be some positive movement from the political Right. Biden is showing his hand early — the pro-death march will only keep on moving.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 09, 2020, 09:12:10 PM »
I believe that Dr. Ezekiel Emmanuel, one of those appointed to Biden's COVID task force, is on record as not supporting, even opposing euthanasia. I suspect that his association with the so-called "death panel" debate was misplaced.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:13:57 PM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

WJV

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: November 09, 2020, 11:22:23 PM »
I believe that Dr. Ezekiel Emmanuel, one of those appointed to Biden's COVID task force, is on record as not supporting, even opposing euthanasia. I suspect that his association with the so-called "death panel" debate was misplaced.
That would be good news. Thank you.

Rob Morris

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 09, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »

Agreed.

I remember reading the full article in The Atlantic when it was first published. The author's main point was that we over-medicate and over-treat rather than allowing natural aging processes to take place. By doing so, we almost guarantee that we will die of something painful and untreatable after a lengthy battle with diminished vitality. I don't remember agreeing with all of it, but it was articulate, thought-provoking, and (if I recall correctly), rather life-affirming.

The Ricochet snippet is misleading at best. But don't take my word for it... go read the full article. It was linked: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

If it's TL;DR, then read this at least: "Let me be clear about my wish. I’m neither asking for more time than is likely nor foreshortening my life. Today I am, as far as my physician and I know, very healthy, with no chronic illness. I just climbed Kilimanjaro with two of my nephews. So I am not talking about bargaining with God to live to 75 because I have a terminal illness. Nor am I talking about waking up one morning 18 years from now and ending my life through euthanasia or suicide. Since the 1990s, I have actively opposed legalizing euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide. People who want to die in one of these ways tend to suffer not from unremitting pain but from depression, hopelessness, and fear of losing their dignity and control. The people they leave behind inevitably feel they have somehow failed. The answer to these symptoms is not ending a life but getting help. I have long argued that we should focus on giving all terminally ill people a good, compassionate death—not euthanasia or assisted suicide for a tiny minority."

I recall caring for one parishioner who was so miserable with all her medical runarounds, even as she was on over a dozen medications and didn't feel she could cease taking a single one. Eventually, God called her home, but I think we would all have agreed it would have been a mercy if some of those natural processes hadn't been interrupted with so much treatment. Prolonging life and preventing death are not always the same thing. And that was the Dr.'s point in the article.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: November 09, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »
Yes, thank you, Rob. He's simply saying that sometimes doing everything to prolong life is not the right thing--not even what the patient wants. Atul Gawande's Being Mortal is a fascinating and helpful book that addresses this issue (as well as many others). He argues that the better approach for those who have a life-threatening condition (regardless of age) is to discuss what their priority is. Sometimes it isn't prolonging life, but what they want to accomplish in the time they have left.

The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS