Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 158092 times)

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 10:16:30 AM »
This thread began with an ALPB poster in far northern Hokkaido, Japan.  It made me wonder about someone from my area who went to Niigata City, Japan some years ago to work.  Today he confirmed that they, too, now have a reported case or two.  He notes that there is no school, but the teachers still report for work.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
I have been following the information as has everyone.

I think the real problem with the disease will not be the primary effect (corpses stacked like cordwood like the Spanish Flu pandemic.) Where there will be real and life threatening issues will be in the  disruption of the global logistics network. Think of the feedstocks for various pharmaceuticals manufactured in China. And look at other necessities that likewise depend on the PRC for at least part of their manufacture. And then, as the disease spreads, the same issue playing out across the globe.

But it’s nice to know that someone has figured out that “it’s all Trump’s fault!””
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »

I think the real problem with the disease will not be the primary effect (corpses stacked like cordwood like the Spanish Flu pandemic.) Where there will be real and life threatening issues will be in the  disruption of the global logistics network. Think of the feedstocks for various pharmaceuticals manufactured in China. And look at other necessities that likewise depend on the PRC for at least part of their manufacture. And then, as the disease spreads, the same issue playing out across the globe.

But it’s nice to know that someone has figured out that “it’s all Trump’s fault!””

No one has said that. 

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 01:00:59 PM »
The CDC budget is now up to Congress and it is likely to be significantly increased to deal with this problem.
But the previous cuts and ends to certain programs, did affect the agencies ability to respond quickly to the current situation.

So you're sticking to your previous misstatements of fact?  Ah, journalism in 2020.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »
The Coronavirus quickly became a political football for the Democratic presidential candidates.  Nothing like letting a global crisis contribute to one's campaign rhetoric.  And it's nice to know that Sander's "Medicare for All" would have solved this whole problem already, making sure the vaccine was produced and universally distributed. Wow. 

COLUMBIA, S.C. —

Democratic presidential candidates are questioning President Trump’s response to the global coronavirus outbreak and urging him, among other things, to do his “damn job.”

Candidates, many campaigning in South Carolina on the eve of the state’s primary election on Saturday, sharpened their criticism of the president as reports of new cases sparked fear in U.S. communities.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders accused the president of incompetence, noting that instead of working to manage the nation’s response to the outbreak, Trump traveled to South Carolina for a campaign rally on the eve of the Democratic primary. The state Republican Party had canceled its 2020 primary....

Earlier this week, Sanders said it was outrageous that if a vaccine for the virus is developed, the administration wouldn’t guarantee it would be available to all Americans. He argued that under his Medicare for All plan, nobody would be denied access to a vaccine

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-02-28/democratic-candidates-criticize-trump-coronavirus-response

Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
The CDC budget is now up to Congress and it is likely to be significantly increased to deal with this problem.
But the previous cuts and ends to certain programs, did affect the agencies ability to respond quickly to the current situation.

Once again Charles I'm asking how exactly did that work out.  Tell me what could have been done that was not done and how that might have changed anything at all in the US
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

loschwitz

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 01:54:55 PM »
I am undecided if I should go forward tomorrow to receive Communion.   Too risky with a common cup.  Intinction is even worse.

Will probably skip shaking hands during the Peace.   Maybe a bow or a bump, but that's it.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »

No one has said that. 

Peace, JOHN

Uh huh.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
I am undecided if I should go forward tomorrow to receive Communion.   Too risky with a common cup.  Intinction is even worse.

Will probably skip shaking hands during the Peace.   Maybe a bow or a bump, but that's it.

One of our priests this morning sent out an email to the rest of us. He had taken some material from the diocese about health practices and worship and made up a flyer or announcement, and wondered if we should put it in the bulletin. My suggestion was: "My opinion, let's hold off at least a week and talk about it at our clergy meeting this week." Then this morning we went to a funeral at the local ELCA congregation where the interim pastor, immediately prior to the passing of the peace, gave elaborate instructions about different ways to share the peace (which, from my vantage point, were largely ignored by the congregation). He did the same thing prior to the distribution of communion. Incredibly disruptive, liturgically speaking, and done in a way that made people chuckle, which made this far from the most reverent sacramental occasion I've witnessed.

On the way home, as I groused about all this, my wife asked me what I would do. My off the cuff response was that I'd write something for the bulletin. I'd not include all the diocesan stuff about worship leaders washing their hands thoroughly before the service and using hand sanitizer before and after the peace (which we actually already do). I'd frame it, not as a response to the current virus but as good reminders during cold and flu season generally. I'd offer some alternatives to shaking hands, and remind people that if another worshiper does not wish to shake your hand, our care for one another means we don't take offense but respond with grace and understanding. I'd say something about the problem of intinction vs. common cup (in our congregation is probably 75% intinct), and remind people that the full benefit of the sacrament is contained in either element. (An aside: I think trying to convince them to give up intinction is asking for trouble; people go the altar on autopilot and we'd get a lot of automatically intincting, then remembering and pulling back, and then looking hopelessly confused.) And I'd stress that how we choose to respond to all of this is completely a matter of personal preference and conscience, and no one should feel compelled to make one choice or another. That's what I'd do.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 04:25:26 PM »
I guess we can look forward to the return of oversized pump jars of hand sanitizer on altars and Communion rails. 

(sarcasm off)

For a variety of reasons--COVID 19 probably the least among them--there should be serious conversation over whether staging the Eucharistic elements (most especially a loaf bread, sometimes not even covered with a napkin!) on a table just inside the Nave or even in the Narthex is really such a good idea.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

loschwitz

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
Pastor Johnson--

What alternatives to shaking hands would you suggest?

Pasgolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »
Mark (retired pastor, golfs the pastures) Renner

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2020, 09:13:21 PM »
Pastor Johnson--

Touching the shoulder. Waving the hand. Simply exchanging words with a smile. Bowing the head in greeting.

I've seen people who perhaps had a cold simply hold their hands behind their back or across their chest to indicate they didn't want to shake hands.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »
Pastor Johnson--

Touching the shoulder. Waving the hand. Simply exchanging words with a smile. Bowing the head in greeting.

I've seen people who perhaps had a cold simply hold their hands behind their back or across their chest to indicate they didn't want to shake hands.

Fist bump without quite touching.  That's happening in this part of the world.

Dave Benke

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 09:38:46 AM »
The concern and care given to the covid 19 outbreak is good but we also need to keep it in perspective. So far there have been around 3000 deaths from the disease,  last year we had more than 10 times that number of deaths from the flu in the US. This is not the return of the Black Plague. Concern, yes, preparation and care, certainly, panic, no.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS