Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 399116 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #1395 on: April 29, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
My question: Freedom of religion issue? Or not?

Republic or monarchy?
Pandemics do seem to introduce an interesting legal tension. What if you are by definition a threat to your neighbor's life? How can the government protect the individual rights enumerated in the constitution for more than one person?

pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 29, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »

Pandemics do seem to introduce an interesting legal tension. What if you are by definition a threat to your neighbor's life? How can the government protect the individual rights enumerated in the constitution for more than one person?

Exactly so.  It certainly appears, in both theory and in practice, that one can have either a robust theory of "individual rights," or a robust notion of the "common good."  But not robustly both.  There will be compromise at one end or the other.

Tom Pearson

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #1397 on: April 29, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/HQSatmar/status/1255345428243021824

If this is true, it is highly damning to the mayor and all his huffing and puffing.

Maybe.  The Hasidic community and its relationship with precinct NYPD is interesting, to say the least.  I wouldn't bet the farm on the narrative being presented on Twitter. 
Here's what happened a few years ago in the Hudson Valley (there's an LCMS congregation there):  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/nyregion/hasidic-kiryas-joel-upstate.html.
The result has not necessarily been all peaches and cream.

Dave Benke

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 29, 2020, 05:41:35 PM »

Some faculty say this is not only inconvenient to cadets, but it is also a risk to their mental well-being. It has been an academic year marred by tragedy even before the outbreak. One cadet was killed and 21 others injured last June after a military vehicle overturned en route to a training exercise near the academy. In October, a cadet killed himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-west-point.html?searchResultPosition=1

There are 13 departments at West Point. The Behavioral Sciences and Leadership Department lists 66 faculty members. (I counted.) I don't know how many other faculty there are, but there seems to be a lot of them.

So, out of the faculty there, how many constitutes "some" as in "Some faculty say"? 3? 5? 15? Please, O Humble One, give us the magic number.

Another question: Why did the reporter use the word "some"? Why not an actual number or percentage? How about, "5 out of 200 faculty say..." Is it because it loses something? Do you think that if it was a majority of the faculty the reporter would use the word "some"?

This lazy writing and a logical fallacy.

Please don't think this is simply a NYT/Trump thing. Actually, it goes  back to articles in "Christian News" where Pr. Otten would say, "Some in the Synod say..." My question was, "Well, you, your brother...and who else? Who are these mysterious 'some'"?

So, please, how many are "some faculty"?
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 29, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
"Some," to me, wasn't the #1 tool for creating the necessary bandwidth.  That honor went to "a growing number." 

So - Yesterday morning I was the only one who felt the Synod was full of heterodoxy.  Yesterday evening, I got my wife to agree with me.  So now there is a "growing number" of those who find the Synod to be heterodox.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: April 29, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »

Exactly so.  It certainly appears, in both theory and in practice, that one can have either a robust theory of "individual rights," or a robust notion of the "common good."  But not robustly both.  There will be compromise at one end or the other.

Tom Pearson
That would explain the political and cultural divide resulting from something as otherwise apolitical as a virus. I prefer the robust individual rights side of that conundrum, because that is something only the government can safeguard. Other, non-coercive entities can and do play a far bigger role in ensuring the common good. Also, this view leaves far more room for something above government. When the task of government is to provide for people's material needs, government seems to morph into a god rather quickly.

RandyBosch

« Reply #1401 on: April 29, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
"Some," to me, wasn't the #1 tool for creating the necessary bandwidth.  That honor went to "a growing number." 

So - Yesterday morning I was the only one who felt the Synod was full of heterodoxy.  Yesterday evening, I got my wife to agree with me.  So now there is a "growing number" of those who find the Synod to be heterodox.

Dave Benke

In the jargon of the day, the number "spiked", increasing 100% overnight.  What will the morrow bring?

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
My first year in ministry my congregation's membership spiked by 1000%. I had 2 members when I arrived to plant the congregation (I was married) and after a year had about 22 members. Start out small and any increase becomes a large percentage increase.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 29, 2020, 08:29:55 PM »
For those that like to minimize, approach it from this perspective: on 29 January, the first Covid-19 death was reported in the US. As of this morning, 29 April, 58,355 deaths were reported. Do. The. Math.

Imagine 3.5 full 737s crashing into the earth every day from January 29 to today.

One of those killed was a good friend.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:39:58 PM by Matt Hummel »
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
For those that like to minimize, approach it from this perspective: on 29 January, the first Covid-19 death was reported in the US. As of this morning, 29 April, 58,355 deaths were reported. Do. The. Math.

Imagine 3.5 full 737s crashing into the earth every day from January 29 to today.

One of those killed was a good friend.

So sorry to hear this, Matt. 

And the First Son-In-Law declares victory as the death toll hikes over 60000 today, while the VP is the only unmasked person in Mayo Clinic Hospital.

This morning my first text came from a parishioner whose husband's grandmother passed away from the virus, but in a special situation he was not informed.  What's the next step?  Then I went to see one of my doctors for a visit unconnected to the virus.  Except one of his closest friends and colleagues had just died, as well as two assistants in his other office, and he had just come through his two weeks of quarantine.  The woman at the desk outside had just lost her mother to the virus, and her friend was headed to the hospital.  So I the patient became the counselor, in a heartbeat. 

My funerals are mounting up in delayed fashion, five through the end of May. Thirty of us went through an hour today with an expert in the field of death and dying, which was something I have desperately needed.  And so we move along in our new way in the world. 

Dave Benke

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 29, 2020, 10:29:18 PM »
This afternoon I received an email from a student who shared they missed class last night because their mom died of covid-19 yesterday.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 30, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »
Today, April 30, marks the 35th anniversary of the official end of the war in Vietnam. On the Mall in DC is a memorial bearing the names of over 58,000 killed. It took over fifteen years to reach that gruesome benchmark.

Today, April 30, three months or so since January 29, we have reached 60,967. There is not enough room on The Wall to list all those who have died of Covid-19.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 30, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »
This afternoon I received an email from a student who shared they missed class last night because their mom died of covid-19 yesterday.

M. Staneck

Prayers for that family, Matt - the funeral will no doubt be some time in the future.  Here's a horrible story about a funeral home travesty in Brooklyn:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/nyregion/bodies-brooklyn-funeral-home-coronavirus.html.  At the same time, I will be performing the funeral rites for a family this weekend through one of the funeral homes mentioned in this article, which explains the emerging process for taking care of the dead:  http://queensledger.com/view/full_story/27731613/article-As-curve-plateaus--funeral-homes-still-on-shaky-ground?instance=home_news_1st_left.

Although we in NY do not often comment on New Jersey on the far coast of the Hudson River, I watched the press conference of Gov. Murphy yesterday and it was notable in several regards.  First, it is run in a very personal way by the governor, who mentions by name, usually by first name, the people who are on the front lines, and who are in his office taking care of those front line situations.  Second, each press conference includes stories of individuals who have died.  There is an amplification and inclusion of a kind of public ritual of mourning the loss of these folks including how they affected their families and communities that is really important and takes it beyond the statistical and numerical.  It's absolutely the right way for New Jersey, and should be utilized in other states.  I say that especially because the mourning and grieving process is so chopped up right now.  NJ's approach is admirable.

Dave Benke
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:28:51 AM by Dave Benke »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 30, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
For those of you in Brooklyn/Queens:   What is your take on Mayor DiBlasio's strong words to the Jewish community following the Funeral of a Rabbi in Williamsburg?
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

loschwitz

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 30, 2020, 11:01:49 AM »
Very very sad news:   Lutheran Summer Music has cancelled the four weeks summer academy scheduled for Valparaiso.

https://www.lsmacademy.org/news-1/2020/4/29/lutheran-summer-music-2020-canceled