Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 398898 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #1020 on: April 15, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »
Pastor Fienen:
I find it ironic, some time back Pres. Trump  was sharply criticized for not issuing a blanket nationwide stay at home order but rather leaving it to the governors to  do that for their states. Now he is asserting that nationwide authority to determine easing restrictions and is being sharply criticized, he should leave it to the governors.
Me:
No. He was criticized for not asking for a nationwide shut down. Smart people then knew he didn’t have the authority to order one, but by leaving it up to the states, rather than making a strong recommendation, he once again failed in his leadership. During several weeks when he should’ve been recommending a shut down, he was telling us things weren’t that bad.
And I guess you are not bothered about his comment saying that the president has supreme Authority, and an uninformed reference to “several parts of the constitution” which give him that authority even though there are no such parts.

There are a lot of things about Donald Trump that bothers me. There are a lot of things about Joe Biden that bothers me. There are a lot of things about a lot of people that bother me. Just because I don't join you in your anti-Trump crusade, all Trump is absolutely bad, all the time, doesn't mean that I think that he is just the best president ever.

I presume that you will support and vote for Joe Biden for president come November. Does that mean that you think that he is just the best candidate for president that ever run for office? That all of his dealings with Ukraine were perfectly proper with absolutely no personal or family interests involved, that the accusations of sexual assault against him are simply ridiculous and should not be at all investigated or even mentioned?

But I get it, if I am not 100% on board with your Trump is an absolutely idiotic, self-serving, evil, and corrupt man who does nothing right, then I must be 100% Trump is the best thing that has ever happened to American politics he can do no wrong. With you there is no nuance, no shades of grey. Everyone who is not with you all the way must be an idiotic Trump follower. And Oh yes, anyone who supports Trump in any way cares nothing for morality, the United States, our fellow citizens of the United States, or anybody but myself and Trump in all the world. You have not yet stated that any one who would vote for Trump or even not completely and unequivocally condemn Trump and all his ways cannot be a Christian, but you have hinted.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:28:54 AM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
Every week our local Fox News morning show anchor, Rosanna Scotto, sings the song "I'm a Native New Yorker" from back in the day 1977 (this version features footage from that era, including an opening that's startling, to say the least):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qreFaO1dR4

I'm not a native New Yorker, rather a native Milwaukeean.  Our wayback motto was "I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know/it's Blatz, Blatz, Blatz, wherever you go.  In this commercial you'll note that the guys the cartoon beer people are from Milwaukee but the billboard-assembling humans are, by accent, from - Brooklyn:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w7I5FJBYvI

Here are some native New Yorkers and my level of confidence in them at this moment in time:
Tony Fauci (Our Lady of Guadalupe grammar, Regis HS, Dyker Heights, Bklyn)   Total Confidence
Rosanna Scotto (Fox 5, speaker at many pro-life events I've attended, Visitation Academy, also Brooklyn)  Very High Confidence
Andrew Cuomo (Hollis, Queens - St. Gerard Majella grammar, Archbishop Molloy, Fordham)  Very High Confidence
Donald Trump (Jamaica Estates, Queens; Kew Forest grammar, New York Military Academy, Fordham/Wharton)  Little to No Confidence

Maybe it's just that I have a bias toward Catholics.

Dave Benke

Fake News! Everybody knows all New Yorkers are just raging libs.
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 15, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
Every week our local Fox News morning show anchor, Rosanna Scotto, sings the song "I'm a Native New Yorker" from back in the day 1977 (this version features footage from that era, including an opening that's startling, to say the least):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qreFaO1dR4

I'm not a native New Yorker, rather a native Milwaukeean.  Our wayback motto was "I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know/it's Blatz, Blatz, Blatz, wherever you go.  In this commercial you'll note that the guys the cartoon beer people are from Milwaukee but the billboard-assembling humans are, by accent, from - Brooklyn:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w7I5FJBYvI

Here are some native New Yorkers and my level of confidence in them at this moment in time:
Tony Fauci (Our Lady of Guadalupe grammar, Regis HS, Dyker Heights, Bklyn)   Total Confidence
Rosanna Scotto (Fox 5, speaker at many pro-life events I've attended, Visitation Academy, also Brooklyn)  Very High Confidence
Andrew Cuomo (Hollis, Queens - St. Gerard Majella grammar, Archbishop Molloy, Fordham)  Very High Confidence
Donald Trump (Jamaica Estates, Queens; Kew Forest grammar, New York Military Academy, Fordham/Wharton)  Little to No Confidence

Dave Benke

Not all.  Just way too many. :)

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #1023 on: April 15, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
Pastor Fienen writes:
There are a lot of things about Donald Trump that bothers me. There are a lot of things about Joe Biden that bothers me. There are a lot of things about a lot of people that bother me. Just because I don't join you in your anti-Trump crusade, all Trump is absolutely bad, all the time, doesn't mean that I think that he is just the best president ever.
I comment:
Good.

Pastor Fienen:
I presume that you will support and vote for Joe Biden for president come November. Does that mean that you think that he is just the best candidate for president that ever run for office? That all of his dealings with Ukraine were perfectly proper with absolutely no personal or family interests involved, that the accusations of sexual assault against him are simply ridiculous and should not be at all investigated or even mentioned?
Me:
No, my support for him does not mean that. I think the best president that ever ran for office was Teddy Roosevelt. Maybe FDR, but probably Teddy.

Pastor Fienen:
But I get it, if I am not 100% on board with your Trump is an absolutely idiotic, self-serving, evil, and corrupt man who does nothing right, then I must be 100% Trump is the best thing that has ever happened to American politics he can do no wrong. With you there is no nuance, no shades of grey. Everyone who is not with you all the way must be an idiotic Trump follower.
Me:
Why must you always - always! - overstate and hyper-up your reaction? The president probably does a number of things right. I do not contend you think he is 100 percent about anything. Why do you always take things to this all-or-nothing extreme? I do not do that. (See below)

Pastor Fienen:
And Oh yes, anyone who supports Trump in any way cares nothing for morality, the United States, our fellow citizens of the United States, or anybody but myself and Trump in all the world. You have not yet stated that any one who would vote for Trump or even not completely and unequivocally condemn Trump and all his ways cannot be a Christian, but you have hinted.
Me:
No, I certainly believe that Christians - faithful, active Christians - can support the president and vote for him. Repeat: I certainly believe that Christians - faithful, active Christians - can support the president and vote for him. And it is only your extremist reading that suggests I do not believe that.
What I do not understand is why certain Christians do support him. What I do not understand is why the "evangelicals" who raged about Kennedy's Catholicism and morality, who say (wrongly) that Democrats are anti-Christian and anti-religion do not rage about Trump's non-view on religion and his morality.
Peter has said he why he can support Trump. I see his reasons, I just do not understand them. And I do not contend Peter is not a Christian So let's set aside your extremist interpretations, please?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 15, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »

Why must you always - always! - overstate and hyper-up your reaction?
Best line of the day!

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 15, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
I find it ironic, ...

By definition Trump is always wrong.

Always.
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 15, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »
Why must you always - always! - overstate and hyper-up your reaction?

When you walk by a mirror, do you see a reflection?

spt+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 15, 2020, 02:13:56 PM »

Dave Benke

My favorite: Dr. Birx
Then good ol’ Trumpy Trump; the actions, not so much the verbiage- but I get him.

PS-  So far I’ve been able to intuit societal trends about two days before they happen as the local Cassondra.
My next prophecy is for civil disorder beginning with the continued uptick in crime, then some not so SIP gatherings, and businesses clandestinely going back to work ala Prohibition Era Speak-Easys.

Peter (P.L.) Garrison
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:15:59 PM by pastorg1@aol.com »
Pete Garrison, STS

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 15, 2020, 02:30:48 PM »
This just in 5 minutes after I post the above....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/drivers-swarm-michigan-capital-to-protest-coronavirus-lockdown-measures

I amaze even myself; free palm reading is next. DM me...

Peter (The Amazing Cassandra) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 15, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »

Why must you always - always! - overstate and hyper-up your reaction? The president probably does a number of things right. I do not contend you think he is 100 percent about anything. Why do you always take things to this all-or-nothing extreme? I do not do that.

Because I am responding to what you write:

And I guess you are not bothered about his comment saying that the president has supreme Authority, and an uninformed reference to “several parts of the constitution” which give him that authority even though there are no such parts.
Since I do not immediately join you in your over the top denunciation then I must not be bothered about what he said. That is the kind of reasoning that you habitually repeat.

No, I certainly believe that Christians - faithful, active Christians - can support the president and vote for him. Repeat: I certainly believe that Christians - faithful, active Christians - can support the president and vote for him. And it is only your extremist reading that suggests I do not believe that.
What I do not understand is why certain Christians do support him. What I do not understand is why the "evangelicals" who raged about Kennedy's Catholicism and morality, who say (wrongly) that Democrats are anti-Christian and anti-religion do not rage about Trump's non-view on religion and his morality.
Peter has said he why he can support Trump. I see his reasons, I just do not understand them. And I do not contend Peter is not a Christian So let's set aside your extremist interpretations, please?

There is a lot about the personal life and comportment of Donald Trump for a conservative Christian not to like. But there are many of his policies that we do. There is also much about the Democrats and progressives that we not only don't like but seem to be a threat to conservative Christians.

Acceptance of some form of abortion on demand as a right if not a positive social good and blessing seems de rigueur if one is to be a member in good standing. One hears of very few pro life Democrats and they always seems to be under siege.

Similarly, acceptance of same sex marriage and same sex sexual relationships seem demanded. It is not just that same sex marriage is legal, we know that and while we don't like it there is nothing we can do about that. But acceptance of that as a societal good, and cooperation with it seems demanded of anyone who wants to be employed or do business in public. To dissent seems on its way, if Democratically controlled civil rights commissions and governments have their way, to becoming illegal.

Under the Obama administration (of which the current presumptive Democratic candidate for president was a part) there seems an effort to bring religious communities into compliance with the Democratic/progressive societal vision. Opting out of funding for birth control and abortion on the grounds of religious belief was not acceptable. If your religious beliefs did not allow for that, get other beliefs and get with the program or be fined out of existence. Religious rights when they do not conform to and support progressive social activism seem to be a hindrance to be overcome, not rights to be respected. Whether intended or not, that could be debated, the impression that many have is that religious rights, like gun rights, are something to be minimized or eliminated if they get in the way of progressive. The administration's law suit against the Little Sisters of the Poor has not been forgotten. The National Review article "From Obamacare to Obergefell: The Obama Administration's Troubled Legacy on Religious Liberty" discusses that administration's record on religious rights, a record that causes many of us concern. You may dispute that it is as bad as they paint or many conservatives fear, but that is the perception and that is why many support even such an unlikely character as Trump. We fear that the alternative may ultimately be an existential threat to our religious liberty. Progressives do not like dissent to their ideas or programs.

Yes, and I understand that the religious liberties of progressive Christians are hardly threatened, when you agree with the progressive mindset you have no reason to speak or act contrary to their dictates and pose no problem to be dealt with. And yes, I realize that cries of "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" are foolish when uttered by conservatives. It is only when uttered by progressives about Trump that they are to be taken seriously. At this point in his 4 year terms, our fascist president should have the news media pretty well cowed and those who still challenge him imprisoned or otherwise silenced (have you noticed?) and his bully boys will have beaten the progressive left into submission so that they dare not show their faces in public (who has called for mobs groups of right thinking people to denounce opponents when seen at a restaurant or other public place to drive them out and show them that they are not welcome?).

On the lighter side, Babylon Bee "More Government Officials Calling for Common-Sense Religion Control".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:37:01 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Marshall Hahn

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 15, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
And now for something entirely different:

MASKS ON THE RUN
(with apologies to Sir Paul)

Stuck inside these four walls; sent inside forever;
Never seeing no one – quarantined with you,
Mama, you, mama you

If we ever get out of here,
We’ll be breathing free air again,
Through our cloth face coverings,
But we’ll keep six feet away,
If we ever get out of here.
If we ever get out of here.

Well, the virus had us all cooped up inside,
‘Til we couldn’t take it no more!
So we grabbed our masks, threw away our fears
And we headed out the door!

Masks on the run!  Masks on the run!
To the groc’ry store, ‘cause we needed more,
So we cleaned out every shelf,
With our masks on the run!  Masks on the run!

Scored some N-95s, they were sanitized
So we felt it safe to roam
We caught up to some friends, but then there were ten
So we hurried on back home!

We’ll be in our room, ‘til we’re sick of zoom,
Then we’ll make our break once more,
With our masks on the run!  Masks on the run!

Marshall Hahn
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:07:25 PM by Marshall Hahn »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #1031 on: April 16, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »
I do, I really do want the administration’s plans to combat the virus to work. Why would I not? But here, in today’s news is why I believe things are going so wrong at the top. As you will remind me, this is from The New York Times, that makes up bad things about the President So check other sources and tell us what facts are wrong. (My underlining are facts for you to check.)

Trump’s ‘Opening Our Country Council’ Runs Into Its Own Opening Problems
Instead of a formal council, the president created several industry groups, and joined four calls with them. But some participants had no notice they would be included, and others could not join
   WASHINGTON — Some business leaders had no idea they were included until they heard that their names had been read in the Rose Garden on Tuesday night by President Trump. Some of those who had agreed to help said they received little information on what, exactly, they were signing up for. And others who were willing to connect with the White House could not participate in hastily organized conference calls on Wednesday because of scheduling conflicts and technical difficulties.
   In short, the rollout of what the president referred to last week as his “Opening Our Country Council” was as confusing as the process of getting there. Instead of a formal council, what Mr. Trump announced on Tuesday was a watered-down version that included 17 separate industry groups, including hospitality, banking, energy and “thought leaders.” And on Wednesday, a bipartisan group of lawmakers received emails inviting them to join another task force.
   The president participated in four calls with those groups during the day at the same time White House officials were playing down their significance, claiming that the creation of a “task force” was never planned, despite the president’s mention of it last week.
   They said that there was no date for an in-person meeting planned, and that the goal was simply to begin, via conference calls, a dialogue about the economy after the pandemic recedes. The only task force that existed, they insisted, was the coronavirus task force led by Vice President Mike Pence.
   The confusion was the latest example of the difficulty the administration has encountered in its attempts to enlist support from the private sector to bolster the president’s claim that he has the power to reopen the economy, even as governors have made it clear that they will make those decisions themselves.
   Cisco Systems, the networking company, and McDonald’s were among the major employers that learned of their involvement in consulting with the president only when he mentioned their names on Tuesday evening, according to people familiar with the matter.
   Pfizer was also blindsided by its inclusion in the group, receiving a heads-up that Mr. Trump might mention the company an hour before the announcement, with no information about how many other companies were involved or what the purpose of the group was.
   Richard Trumka, the president of the A.F.L.-C.I.O., was also not asked whether he would join the group before his name was announced by Mr. Trump as a participant, according to Carolyn Bobb, the union’s national media manager. But she said Mr. Trumka had planned to join a call with Mr. Trump on Wednesday “to see if it’s a serious effort.”

The rest of the story is here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-economy-panel.html

Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #1032 on: April 16, 2020, 04:39:26 AM »
And then there is this...
Trump Threatens to Adjourn Congress to Install Nominees. McConnell Demurs.
The House and Senate have both taken extended recesses amid the pandemic, convening at least every few days for so-called pro forma sessions to keep their chambers technically in session.

WASHINGTON — President Trump, furious over government vacancies he said were hindering his administration’s coronavirus response, threatened on Wednesday to invoke a never-before-used presidential power to adjourn Congress so he could fill the positions temporarily himself.
   The top Senate Republican, Senator Mitch McConnell, quickly let it be known that would not happen.
   “The current practice of leaving town while conducting phony pro forma sessions is a dereliction of duty the American people can’t afford during this crisis,” Mr. Trump said on Wednesday. “They have been warned.”
   If the Senate did not do his bidding, Mr. Trump said, he would use the “very strong power” afforded to him by the Constitution to force an adjournment. He appeared to be referring to Article II of the Constitution, which gives the president the power to adjourn Congress until a time of his choosing if the House and Senate are unable to agree on when they should go out of session.
   But there is currently no disagreement between the two chambers — they have already agreed to adjourn on Jan. 3, 2021 — and the office of Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, suggested in a statement on Wednesday evening that he was not inclined to change that.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 16, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
Again, he threatened something. What did he do? Trump uses whatever he thinks will move the ball. In this case, everyone knows that President can’t adjourn Congress, but everyone also now knows that Congress has been refusing to approve a full staff for the administration while criticizing the efforts of that staff. Mission accomplished.

What the president huffs and puffs about is moot. What he does matters.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #1034 on: April 16, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
Well, he huffs and puffs about his "business council" and then screws up organizing it.