Author Topic: Candlemass Day  (Read 17485 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Candlemass Day
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »
The Nor'easter that has been buffeting Pennsylvania since midday Sunday continues, and some of the steadiest and heaviest snow is forecast to come through the night hours, possibly not ending until at least the middle of the day Tuesday the 2nd.

So, for the first time in many years--in fact, probably from the first time that I became aware of this Feast when I was in my late teens--there will be no church services.  The cancellation phone call was received a few minutes ago.

Thus, as I  had on the 40th day prior, I will be reading the Orthros before our Icons.  But this time my wife will be in the same room, not in a hospital room.

For any interested service texts in a variety of formats can be found here:

https://www.agesinitiatives.com/dcs/public/dcs/indexes/20210202.html

From tonight's Vespers (just change the final digit of the URL posted above from "2" to "1")

Mode 1/Tone 1

For His mercy rules over us; and the truth of the Lord endures forever.

Let us also come;
let us meet Christ with inspired song,
and let us receive Him whose salvation was seen by Symeon.
He is the One whom David proclaimed.
He is the One who spoke in the Prophets;
He became incarnate for us and spoke through the Law.
 Let us worship Him.

Mode plagal. 2.  (Tone 6)

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
Both now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen.

Let the gate of heaven open today.
For the Father's beginningless Logos,
having taken a beginning in time and not separated from His divinity,
is willingly offered as a forty-day old infant,
in the Temple of the Law, by His virgin Mother.
And the Elder receives Him in his arms.
"Let me depart," cries the servant to the Master.
"For my eyes have seen Your salvation."
O Lord, who came to the world to save the human race,
glory to You!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:18:52 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Weedon

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
“We have thought of Thy lovingkindness, O God: in the midst of Thy temple.” (Introit)

The storm largely passed us by, Thomas. I will, God willing, be serving as Deacon at the Mass tomorrow morning. Some Luther for the feast from the House Postils:

Now, although Mary was not required to do this—the Law of Moses having no claim over her, for she had given birth without pain and her virginity remained unsullied—nevertheless, she kept quiet and submitted herself to the common law of all women and let herself be accounted unclean. She was, without doubt, a pure, chaste virgin before the birth, in the birth, and after the birth, and she was neither sick nor weakened from the birth, and certainly could have gone out of the house after giving birth, not only because of her exemption under the Law, but also because of the uninterrupted soundness of her body. For her Son did not detract from her virginity, but actually strengthened it; but, in spite of this, not only the mother, but also the son, both allowed themselves to be considered unclean according to the Law. III:256 (1541)

[St. Luke’s] second purpose is to indicate that our dear Lord Christ subjected himself under the Law of our sake, in order that he might redeem us from the law’s curse. He was not conceived or born under the rubrics of what the Law stated concerning the firstborn, for He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of a virgin. Nevertheless, with his mother he submitted to purification in accord with the Law. And it is a very great comfort that Scripture sketches and portrays Christ to us as being like us in all things, only without sin. The deeper we plunge Christ into the flesh of mankind, the better for us. For he subjected himself under the meanest purification Law, in order to show that he was an ordinary human being, yet a pure, holy person who places himself under the Law for our sake. III:276, 277 (1537)

Simeon has a very penetrating eye. In this child there is no kingly mien or royal garb to see, merely the form of a poor beggar... But he does not allow his reason to judge by what his eyes behold but denominates this child a king, greater than all the kings in the world. For he calls him a Saviour, prepared by God for all nations and a Light to lighten the Gentiles all over the world. Indeed, for Simeon this was to open one’s eyes wide and look far beyond oneself! His eyes behold the whole world, from one end of the earth to the other. Wherever in this whole world, he says, there are peoples and Gentiles, there this child is a Saviour and a Light. Thus he comprehends everything that the Holy Scriptures state, and associates it with the child now lying in his arms. III:278 (1537)

This is the song Simeon has sung to us today. Now, filled with joy he wants to depart in peace; for he has seen so much that there is nothing now that frightens him. Since he has seen the Saviour and the Light which God has prepared, he no longer beholds either sin or death and is prepared and willing to die. III:283 (1537)

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:39 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/goarch/troparion-presentation-el

Apolytikion (First Tone)

Hail Virgin Theotokos full of Grace,
for Christ our God, the Sun of Righteousness, has dawned from you,
granting light to those in darkness.
And you, O Righteous Elder, rejoice,
taking in Your arms, the Deliverance of our souls,
who grants us Resurrection.

Notice how the final phrase "who grants us Resurrection" becomes the hinge through which we transition from the Nativity cycle to the Paschal cycle.

Weedon

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2021, 08:41:20 PM »
And for us, of course, the day could not be complete without Luther’s incomparable: Mit Fried’ und Freud’...here the simple melodic line sung so hauntingly:

https://youtu.be/SwyvQd-rg1U

And a jaunty duet from one of Bach’s cantatas based on the hymn:

https://youtu.be/h0MpV94SJ6Q
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:59:55 PM by Weedon »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
Our Troparion and Kontakion would still be a good match, sung in English and up tempo    ;D

Seriously....thank you so much for posting not only these musical offerings but the quotes from the House Postils.

"The beggar king" remains one of my favorite descriptions of Christ's kenosis

Weedon

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2022, 02:20:46 PM »
The aged saints Simeon and Anna are important figures in this Feast's beautiful Gospel passage.  We have known, and loved, and labored beside many who have embodied the words of the Psalmist "O Lord, I have loved the beauty of Thy house" by coming to almost every service, no matter how minor the festival.

As my years increase I know that I am becoming closer and closer to Simeon's vintage.   The confirmation of my pending Ordination to the Holy Diaconate sharpens that focus.  Deacon Bob of blessed Memory was my forerunner and predecessor; he was Ordained when he was 67 and was only able to serve about eight years thereafter.

His widow gave me all of his vestments.  I will be five years behind him at the time of my Ordination; and, as ever, looking forward to the consolation of Israel.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:32:18 AM by J. Thomas Shelley »

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »
The aged saints Simeon and Anna are important figures in this Feast's beautiful Gospel passage.  We have known, and loved, and labored beside many who have embodied the words of the Psalmist "O Lord, I have loved the beauty of Thy house" by coming to almost every service, no matter how minor the festival.

As my years increase I know that I am becoming closer and closer to Simeon's vintage.   The confirmation of my pending Ordination to the Holy Diaconate sharpens that focus.  Deacon Bob of blessed Memory was my forerunner and predecessor; he was Ordained when he was 67 and was only able to serve about eight year thereafter.

His widow gave me all of his vestments.  I will be five years behind him at the time of my Ordination, looking forward to the consolation of Israel.
That is such a lovely story! May God bless your ministry.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2022, 03:53:26 PM »
Blessings to you, indeed. The liturgies of Orthodoxy in themselves almost constitute an entire Christianity. What a privilege to be able to assist at them!
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, New York and New Jersey. LCA/LWF staff. Former journalist  Writer for many church publications.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »

As my years increase I know that I am becoming closer and closer to Simeon's vintage.   The confirmation of my pending Ordination to the Holy Diaconate sharpens that focus.  Deacon Bob of blessed Memory was my forerunner and predecessor; he was Ordained when he was 67 and was only able to serve about eight year thereafter.

His widow gave me all of his vestments.  I will be five years behind him at the time of my Ordination, looking forward to the consolation of Israel.
That is such a lovely story! May God bless your ministry.

Peace,
Michael

The Doxosticon from the Magnifications of the Ninth Ode really "jumped out" at me this morning:

Guard Your servants, who believe
and confess You to be God, *
one in nature, Trinity
in divine hypostases.

Symeon said, "You have restored to me the joy
of Your salvation, O Christ. *
I Your servant, who am old and weary of the shadow, *
pray You now to receive me *
as a new disciple and sacred herald of Your grace, *
as I sing Your praise and magnify You."

"A new disciple and sacred herald of your grace"--"the herald of the Gospel" is the title given by the Priest in blessing the Deacon upon the conclusion of the Gospel reading in the Divine Liturgy.

Closing out the 62nd year, it will be a true blessing to find newness in discipleship.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »
Some who have followed this thread year after year may wonder why I am bumping it so early, at barely the midpoint of January.

The reason is simple:  Orthodoxy slides hydrostatiically from one Great Feast to the next primarily by introducing the Orthros Katavasias and the Kontakion of the Feast weeks before the celebration.   The Nativity Canon, for example, makes its debut on November 21.

So, you guessed it:   Today brought the first use of the Katavasias of the Meeting (Presentation) of the Lord and its beautiful Ninth Ode:

In the shadow and the letter of the Law, *
we the faithful perceive the decree: *
Consecrate to God every male, the first-born opening the womb. *
Now the unoriginate Father's first-born Logos and Son *
is also first-born of a virgin Mother, and we magnify Him.

Ironic that this foreshadowing of a Feast which has been so connected (at least in the Pennsylwania Dutch county) with sunlight and shadows  has as in the hymn signalling its approach a reference to "shadow"!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:34:01 AM by J. Thomas Shelley »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2023, 07:58:50 PM »
As the Feast draws near the daily hymnography accelerates  the anticipation.

The final Theotokion from the Orthros of the Feast of the Three Hierarchs (January 30)

Today in the Temple, Christ is brought as an infant.
Today, He who gave the Law to Moses comes under the Law himself.
The armies of Angels are struck with awe,
seeing that He who holds the universe together is being held in the arms of an old man.
Symeon, filled with reverence and joy cries out:
"Now You release me, O Savior,
from this mortal life to one that never ends;
for I have seen You and I am glad."

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2023, 11:15:01 PM »
And on the blessed Feast itself, a very thick morning cloud cover.

The sunrise which would otherwise focus  precisely on a gold-flecked Icon in my study was obscured.

But....

Precisely as the Orthros Gospel reading began the sun broke through, bathing my face in its rays.

The Protopsalti sang the hymn written by St. Nektarios Agni Parthene ("Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride") during Communion which by the book was not correct, but it was as beautiful as that unexpected sunburst.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:18:38 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »