Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 230210 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #2925 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
Since our highly partisan forum member is going to listen to all the “scientists” he lists, he will not be traveling anywhere near the Trump rally.

We’ve just been sucked down another one of his rabbit holes!
When you say "our highly partisan forum member," you'll need to specify which of our many highly partisan forum members you have in mind. I count several.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 14, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
There could be close to a dozen.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

B Hughes

« Reply #2927 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

Peace, JOHN

That seems to be right around the actual number of regular users ...

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: September 14, 2020, 08:04:17 PM »

Peace, JOHN
Not including you and me, eh, Pr. Hannah?  :D

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: September 14, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »

Peace, JOHN

That seems to be right around the actual number of regular users ...
Nah, less than 50%. Don't project too much, Pr. Hughes.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: September 14, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
Since our highly partisan forum member is going to listen to all the “scientists” he lists, he will not be traveling anywhere near the Trump rally.

We’ve just been sucked down another one of his rabbit holes!
When you say "our highly partisan forum member," you'll need to specify which of our many highly partisan forum members you have in mind. I count several.

Peace,
Michael
Don't forget that people who are "highly partisan" are those who vigorously support and argue for candidates, policies, and proposals of the party other than one the writer supports. Those who vigorously support and argue for candidates, policies, and proposals of the writer's chosen party are principled, enthusiastic, and wise, champions for all that is good. 
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 14, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »
Getty

A group of some of the most revered and longest-active environmentalists issued a dire warning to the next generation of activists on Monday: Don’t vote for the Green Party this year. And don’t sit out the election either.

The warning, coming in the form of a letter signed by more than 170 top environmental leaders, is an explicit recognition that third-party voting—including from within their own community—has tipped presidential elections in the past. It’s also a plea to those who remain on the fence about Joe Biden, or who believe that they should cast a protest vote for someone else, that the stakes are simply too high.

“Angry right-wing voters and liberal absentees put Trump in the White House in 2016,” the letter reads. “In 2020 the same unholy team could keep him there. Progressives who vote for the Green Party candidate, or write in Henry David Thoreau, or refuse to vote at all for lack of an ideal choice will give Donald Trump precisely what he wants, and enough such pious gestures will produce catastrophic results.”

Warnings like these have become fixtures of election cycles ever since 2000, when Ralph Nader’s presence on the ballot likely cost Al Gore critical votes in Florida. In 2016, NextGen Climate, an environmental group that backed Hillary Clinton’s election, ran ads pleading with voters who cared about climate change to not take teh Libertarian candidate, former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, seriously. President Barack Obama bluntly declared in one radio interview: "If you vote for a third-party candidate who's got no chance to win, that's a vote for Trump.”

What’s different in 2020 is the fresh proof of Obama’s argument. The margins by which Trump won the three critical Midwest states—Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania—were all smaller than the total vote counts for Green Party candidate Jill Stein. And for those who have been in the trenches of environmental battles over the past five decades, the risk of it happening again are petrifying.

“If you don’t get somebody in office that you can work with, then protests and demonstrations don’t make a difference,” said Earth Day founder Denis Hayes, a letter signatory. “I’d much rather have somebody I can work with than a symbolic vote.”

“There is a strong motivation among disillusioned radical young people to vote third party now or sit out the election,” added Peter Harnik, the coordinator of Environmental Action, a pioneer activist environmental organization. “We felt like we've been there and done this in the past. This is not the election to make a purity statement.”
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2932 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:59 PM »
I am hoping that B Hughes will choose to simply ignore anything I post and spare all of us the self-important arrogance and paroxysms of overstatement that tootle through his postings.
From the Mayo Clinic;
   Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19?
   Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.
   So why weren't face masks recommended at the start of the pandemic?
   At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19 but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.
   These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: September 14, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
I am hoping that B Hughes will choose to simply ignore anything I post and spare all of us the self-important arrogance and paroxysms of overstatement that tootle through his postings.
From the Mayo Clinic;
   Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19?
   Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.
   At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19 but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.
   These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.
I like that phrase, an about-face on face masks:D

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: September 14, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
From the Mayo Clinic;
The first paragraph of the above it all too typical of Charles’s online personality. But I concur; please stop responding to this kind of thing.

B Hughes

« Reply #2935 on: September 14, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
Like most frail elderly, Biden understands the importance of social distancing.  His rallies are in open fields with no one there except a few reporters corralled in their safety circles - like the one he held today in Delaware. At least they got him out of his basement. This is pathetic.

https://twitter.com/DJFreedomRocket/status/1305577647385305089?s=09

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: September 14, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
Having voted for Republicans my entire adult life, I was not bothered much by President Clinton’s tenure. I have to say that President Obama’s leadership, especially on the international stage (e.g., his apology tour) and his lying (e.g., “You can keep your doctor”) dismayed me more than any other president during my lifetime. President Carter’s handling of the hostage crisis gets honorable mention.

I've kept my doctors. You didn't?

This is analogous:

Someone comments that racial minorities have suffered discrimination. Brian responds to us on ALPB, "I've never been discriminated against because of my race. Have you?" Then he starts a new thread, polling us on ALPB as to how many of us have been discriminated against because of our race, intending to debunk the assertion that racial minorities have suffered discrimination.
  ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:18:41 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

James J Eivan

« Reply #2937 on: September 14, 2020, 11:53:35 PM »
Having voted for Republicans my entire adult life, I was not bothered much by President Clinton’s tenure. I have to say that President Obama’s leadership, especially on the international stage (e.g., his apology tour) and his lying (e.g., “You can keep your doctor”) dismayed me more than any other president during my lifetime. President Carter’s handling of the hostage crisis gets honorable mention.
I've kept my doctors. You didn't?
This is analogous:

Someone comments that racial minorities have suffered discrimination. Brian responds to us on ALPB, "I've never been discriminated against because of my race. Have you?" Then he starts a new thread, polling us on ALPB as to how many of us have been discriminated against because of our race, intending to debunk the assertion that racial minorities have suffered discrimination.
  ::)
Thank you for addressing this issue. When I read the response to your post yesterday I shrugged my shoulders… consideredthe source… And said whatever!

Perhaps there is a concern that he will lose his position as the most persistent and voluminous forum poster.

James J Eivan

« Reply #2938 on: September 14, 2020, 11:56:56 PM »
Like most frail elderly, Biden understands the importance of social distancing.  His rallies are in open fields with no one there except a few reporters corralled in their safety circles - like the one he held today in Delaware. At least they got him out of his basement. This is pathetic.

https://twitter.com/DJFreedomRocket/status/1305577647385305089?s=09
Looks like one of those all foam and no beer moments! 😷🤩 Besides… Most of the reports on Biden’s rallies appear to be written by those who are not in attendance. :-)

News reports indicate that the Nevada Trump rally could have been held outdoors except for the interference of local and state officials. Apparently they felt there was less health risk to pile all those people into the warehouse then allow an open air venue to be used.

pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 14, 2020, 11:57:59 PM »

Getty

A group of some of the most revered and longest-active environmentalists issued a dire warning to the next generation of activists on Monday: Don’t vote for the Green Party this year. And don’t sit out the election either.

The warning, coming in the form of a letter signed by more than 170 top environmental leaders, is an explicit recognition that third-party voting—including from within their own community—has tipped presidential elections in the past. It’s also a plea to those who remain on the fence about Joe Biden, or who believe that they should cast a protest vote for someone else, that the stakes are simply too high.

“Angry right-wing voters and liberal absentees put Trump in the White House in 2016,” the letter reads. “In 2020 the same unholy team could keep him there. Progressives who vote for the Green Party candidate, or write in Henry David Thoreau, or refuse to vote at all for lack of an ideal choice will give Donald Trump precisely what he wants, and enough such pious gestures will produce catastrophic results.”

Warnings like these have become fixtures of election cycles ever since 2000, when Ralph Nader’s presence on the ballot likely cost Al Gore critical votes in Florida. In 2016, NextGen Climate, an environmental group that backed Hillary Clinton’s election, ran ads pleading with voters who cared about climate change to not take the Libertarian candidate, former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, seriously. President Barack Obama bluntly declared in one radio interview: "If you vote for a third-party candidate who's got no chance to win, that's a vote for Trump.”

. . . . .

Chaplain Precup, since you posted this commentary, I assume that you are in substantial agreement with its recommendation.  If so, allow me to protest.

When I vote, I vote my conscience.  I vote for candidates who best represent the public principles and values that I am committed to.  When I find both major party candidates (and both major parties) anathema, as I do this year, I will vote for those candidates who, in their public pronouncements, indicate that they are dedicated to policies I believe in.  Are you really suggesting that defeating Trump this year is so crucial that you would advise people, people who may be considering voting for a third party candidate, to vote in violation of their conscience?

If I were interested in being offended by this, I'd be offended by this.

Tom Pearson