Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 379016 times)

mj4

Re: Election 2020
« Reply #780 on: May 08, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
Again, maybe it's time to reconsider that strategy.

Barack Obama ran against the better known Hillary Clinton then went on to win the presidency. Jimmy Carter, a virtual unknown at the time, ran against a slew of better known Democratic candidates then unseated Gerald Ford.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
Pastor Engebretson;
 For example it was reported that CNN ignored Tara Reade's call for Biden to drop out of the race, while others reported it.
Me:’
That is incorrect. CNN and other major media reported that. And it wasn’t exactly a “call.“
Washington Post does use 'call'

Former Senate aide Tara Reade calls on Joe Biden to withdraw from presidential race

CNN, NY Times, WA Post are birds of the same feather ... of the same ilk.

Calling it a "call" doesn't make it one (whether the one using the term is a newspaper or a poster here). Her precise words, according to the article, when asked if he should withdraw, were "I wish he would. But he won't."
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #782 on: May 08, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Esteemed moderator Richard got it right. What she said was not a “call.”
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #783 on: May 08, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »
What's crazy is that Biden hasn't actually secured the nomination yet. He's still short the number of delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination. So why have all the other candidates rallied behind him? And stuck with him? Is it too much to hope that one of them will break ranks and try to replace him?

I think that they realize none of the other candidates stood as good a chance against Trump.  Sanders was just too far to the left. Warren had a following, but not enough. They recognized that they needed a united front with great solidarity, and the sooner they established that, the better.  Biden demonstrated a surprising comeback and strong showing among the rank-and-file.  Now was not a time for just anyone.  They needed a well supported standard bearer who would demonstrate the commitment of all Democrats. Also, they can't afford to lose independents, which might happen if the field is too fragmented and divided.

I honestly think this is a fool's errand on their part.  The best thing that could happen to the Democratic party in advance of the 2020 election is for Biden to fail to secure the nomination and for another candidate to step in his place.  Sanders would be better.  Warren would be better.  Nearly anyone would be better.  Not quite anyone (sit down Beto O'Rourke), but nearly anyone.

Right now they have Biden holed up in his basement talking like a lunatic who can't string three words together without inserting one that doesn't belong, completely making a fool of himself on the Tara Reade allegations and dragging the Speaker of the House and all of his VP candidates down with him on that front, unable to campaign, unable to build any momentum or excitement.  The people who are most gung ho to vote against Donald Trump outside the Democratic establishment and the far left are suburban women, who are traditionally Republican but don't like Donald Trump because of how he treats women.  They aren't going to flock out to vote for the guy who is accused of doing the same thing to Tara Reade.  They aren't voting for Trump, but they didn't last time either.  All Trump needs to win is for enough of them to stay home, and enough of them probably will.

Meanwhile Trump is leading the country, holding near-daily pressers, he just scored a major PR win with the dismissal of all charges against Flynn and the release of the documents in the Flynn case demonstrating that the FBI basically attempted a coup.  The country is about to open back up and the stock market is rallying.  If jobs come back in any significant way and consumer confidence is high, it will be hard enough to beat an incumbent President to begin with.  Beating him with a low energy guy who can't speak coherent sentences and is credibly accused (TM) of sexual harassment?

Good luck.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James J Eivan

« Reply #784 on: May 08, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »
Esteemed moderator Richard got it right. What she said was not a “call.”
OK .... the Washington Post got it wrong ... that's great .... it just restored my faith in them to get it ...uh ... WRONG  ;D

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #785 on: May 21, 2020, 05:57:20 AM »
From “that” paper again. The underlinings are facts. Do you dispute them?
WASHINGTON — President Trump on Wednesday escalated his assault against mail voting, falsely claiming that Michigan and Nevada were engaged in voter fraud and had acted illegally, and threatening to withhold federal funds to those states if they proceed in expanding vote-by-mail efforts.
   The president inaccurately accused Michigan of sending mail ballots to its residents, as his aides later acknowledged, and he offered no basis for his claims of illegal actions by either Michigan or Nevada. The Michigan secretary of state has sent ballot applications — not the ballots themselves — to registered voters, a growing practice among election officials, including in states led by Republicans. In Nevada, where the Republican secretary of state declared the primary a nearly all-mail election, ballots are being sent to registered voters.
   As most states largely abandon in-person voting because of health concerns over the coronavirus, Mr. Trump and many of his Republican allies have launched a series of false attacks to demonize mail voting as fraught with fraud and delivering an inherent advantage to Democratic candidates — despite there being scant evidence for either claim.
  By day’s end Mr. Trump had corrected his tweet about Michigan, saying officials there had mailed applications, not ballots, though he continued to assert the secretary of state had acted illegally. He also backed off his threat to hold back funding, saying Michigan would find out “very soon if it’s necessary,” according to a pool report from the White House. “I don’t think it’s going to be necessary.”

I comment:
I give credit to the President for correcting his tweet error. (But maybe you think the paper got that wrong?)
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 21, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »
I'm still curious from our Democratic friends what the presumptive candidate Joe Biden has to offer that should cause any of us to reconsider and vote for him.  I don't hear much about him or from him, although I realize the national election is still over 5 months away.  There has been some concern about his abilities.  Unfortunately his all too frequent verbal stumbling, which has long characterized him in one way or another, has served to insert some question regarding his fitness for the office. Do those who support Biden feel that he is fully up to the task? 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 21, 2020, 09:23:03 AM »
I'm still curious from our Democratic friends what the presumptive candidate Joe Biden has to offer that should cause any of us to reconsider and vote for him.  I don't hear much about him or from him, although I realize the national election is still over 5 months away.  There has been some concern about his abilities.  Unfortunately his all too frequent verbal stumbling, which has long characterized him in one way or another, has served to insert some question regarding his fitness for the office. Do those who support Biden feel that he is fully up to the task?

I bet he'd threaten to take you outside and kick your a__ for asking such a horsesh__ question. :)

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #788 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »

I bet he'd threaten to take you outside and kick your a__ for asking such a horsesh__ question. :)

If you all are not following the Twitter account "President Joe Biden (So-Called)," you should be.

https://twitter.com/biden4pres
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 21, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
From “that” paper again. The underlinings are facts. Do you dispute them?
WASHINGTON — President Trump on Wednesday escalated his assault against mail voting, falsely claiming that Michigan and Nevada were engaged in voter fraud and had acted illegally, and threatening to withhold federal funds to those states if they proceed in expanding vote-by-mail efforts.
   The president inaccurately accused Michigan of sending mail ballots to its residents, as his aides later acknowledged, and he offered no basis for his claims of illegal actions by either Michigan or Nevada. The Michigan secretary of state has sent ballot applications — not the ballots themselves — to registered voters, a growing practice among election officials, including in states led by Republicans. In Nevada, where the Republican secretary of state declared the primary a nearly all-mail election, ballots are being sent to registered voters.
   As most states largely abandon in-person voting because of health concerns over the coronavirus, Mr. Trump and many of his Republican allies have launched a series of false attacks to demonize mail voting as fraught with fraud and delivering an inherent advantage to Democratic candidates — despite there being scant evidence for either claim.
  By day’s end Mr. Trump had corrected his tweet about Michigan, saying officials there had mailed applications, not ballots, though he continued to assert the secretary of state had acted illegally. He also backed off his threat to hold back funding, saying Michigan would find out “very soon if it’s necessary,” according to a pool report from the White House. “I don’t think it’s going to be necessary.”

I comment:
I give credit to the President for correcting his tweet error. (But maybe you think the paper got that wrong?)

Fraud associated with mail-in ballots has been a real problem.  (See some examples here.)  Because both parties tend to see voting by mail to help Democrats at the expense of Republicans, Democrats and their supporting media outlets tend to dismiss the risks unreasonably while Republicans and their supporting media outlets tend to exaggerate them.

James J Eivan

« Reply #790 on: May 21, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
Having worked for the county elections division for a few years,  I can't fathom any one in favor of free and fair elections supporting 100 percent mail in voting.  There are far fewer checks and balances than with in person voting.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 21, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »
My problem with mail-in voting is not so much the threat of fraud but of voter intimidation. The secret/private vote is almost as important as the one man, one vote principle. With polling booths, who you tell your friends/family/coworkers/boss/ etc. you're voting for and who you actually vote for might be different. When the ballots are mailed out, every domineering mother, abusive husband, boss, union rep, mafia rep, etc. knows that you could, if you wanted, show him or her your completed ballot. Your refusal to do so is thus entirely suspect. Much better to have a system in which nobody can see anyone else's ballot. 

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 21, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
I understand the need to think of voting somewhat differently this year.  But as a general rule I oppose making voting "easier".  In a republican form of government voting is a responsibility for those who care enough to be informed about the candidates and the issues.  Most of those people have no gripe with taking the time and making the effort to go to a polling place.  Those who want everything to be "easy" are often the ignorant and the lazy.  Some years ago I read that mentally retarded people in Australia were shown pictures of the candidates and they chose their vote based on their perceptions of that person from the pictures.  At least we haven't fallen that far, but we're on the way. 
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #793 on: May 21, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
in person primary voting was held last week in Nebraska, and the number of new cases continue to decline statewide...
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 21, 2020, 12:37:39 PM »
An advantage I find in mail-in ballots is that I can take my time to vote. I use the biographies of the candidates that our election board sends out prior to voting. I can reread them as I fill out the ballot and thus make better informed choice. I don't recall ever doing that when I went to a polling booth. Especially if there was a line waiting, there was some pressure - put on by myself - to fill out the ballot quickly so that the next person could get in and vote.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]