Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 379031 times)

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #750 on: May 05, 2020, 07:38:04 PM »
Spot.  On.  Well stated.

Never mind the cases, whether alleged or actual, against Biden and/or Kavanaugh. If we as a nation truly cared about such things, Mr. Trump would not have received so many votes. The party of “family values,“ conservative religion, and “traditional” morality, rallied behind a man who throughout his entire life has displayed none of those things.

No, and we wouldn't have voted for Clinton, Kennedy, Johnson and a whole host of other politicians.  We wouldn't have voted for those who enable such behavior either.  It is awful that the party of "family values" and "traditional morality" rallied behind Trump.  Its awful that the party of women's rights rallied behind Clinton the perpetrator and Clinton the enabler. 

We also might point out the complicity of the media in covering up for the sexual misdeeds of presidents and other famous people.  Think of instance of NBC News' spiking of the story about Harvey Weinstein.  Not to mention the misogynistic behavior of media personalities like Matt Lauer, Roger Ailes, Chris Matthews, Bill O'Reilly.

"Trump is worse," does not justify the Democratic Party.  "Clinton did it first," doesn't justify the Republican Party.  A proper theological diagnosis would expose the futility of these attempts at self justification.  It would call for true repentance and faith in Christ, instead of endless choruses of "what about".
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 05, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »
Posing a thought experiment, of sorts...

I have always voted Republican in national and state elections. A lot has to do with the party platform, but sometimes the candidate is also inspiring. 

With that said, let's say I've tired of Trump, his demeanor, his rhetoric, his past baggage, etc. etc.  And let's say that I begin to look at Biden.  He seems a nice enough guy.  Had a lot of experience in government. Etc. etc. But public persona aside (and I know, Biden has had a few moments where a angrier, rougher side emerged in response to some folks), what does he bring to the table that should pull me over and avoid Trump? I'll be honest that given his age and some of his statements/comments he seems past prime.  I'm not convinced he's really up to the task this late in his life.  I realize that abortion is always a hot button issue for those of us on the right, but even Trump has not reversed this legal precedent (although he was successful in getting conservative judges on the Supreme Court; yet if the Senate 'flips' this time around that will be a past issue...).  I haven't heard a lot of details on how Biden would have handled our current crisis over and against Trump.  So, what does he bring to this high office that makes him above and beyond superior to the current occupant?  Or are we left simply choosing the lesser of evils, as it were? 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Pasgolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 05, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
Regardless of who is on the ballot, we will only have the choice of flawed human beings.  We ae always voting for the lesser of two evils.
Mark (retired pastor, golfs the pastures) Renner

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 05, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Never mind the cases, whether alleged or actual, against Biden and/or Kavanaugh. If we as a nation truly cared about such things, Mr. Trump would not have received so many votes. The party of “family values,“ conservative religion, and “traditional” morality, rallied behind a man who throughout his entire life has displayed none of those things.

In much the same way all those progressive pro-women types first elected and then rallied around Clinton, and lionized Teddy Kennedy, whose misogyny led to one woman's death. I do not intend this as a tu quoque. Just a sad cri du couer over how quick we are to throw women under the bus in advancing a political agenda. The irony is that often women lead the charge.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

James J Eivan

« Reply #754 on: May 05, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
For conservatives and Republicans to have any credibility in criticizing the Democrats for their treatment of Brett Kavanaugh, they must give the same protections to Joe Biden.  We may not judge a man to be guilty based solely on the accusations of one person.
I would be the first to agree with Rev. Preus ... and I am not a big fan of Larry King either ... but for there to be a 25+ year old Larry King interview to include apparent collaboration of the alleged offense does differentiate it from the Kavanaugh case when Kavanaugh had numerous pervious confirmation hearings without the sorted story surfacing ... and then to have a California senator sit on the information until it could be released for maximum political gain.  Not bullet proof evidence of guilt ... but surely a great difference from the carefully premeditated release of the Kavanaugh story.

James J Eivan

« Reply #755 on: May 05, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »
The fact that Rev Austin fails to grasp and probably intentionally ignores is that many who voted for President Trump cast a vote for the lesser of two evils ... I know I did ... and I believe many other forum members have indicated the same.  I would hope that understanding this would indicate to Rev Austin that attributing all Trump to voters who ‘didn’t care about such things’ is truly beneath his dignity. God help us if Rev Austin really believes all Trump voters didn’t care about Mr. Trump’s previous conduct.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 05, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »
Regardless of who is on the ballot, we will only have the choice of flawed human beings.  We ae always voting for the lesser of two evils.

He's running again.  "Vote for the Greatest Evil: Cthulhu for President."

"What really fuels change are the sacrifices we make of people like you. We don’t have to accept a system that drowns out your voice. We can obliterate it. Join us."

The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

James J Eivan

« Reply #757 on: May 06, 2020, 01:33:03 AM »

"What really fuels change are the sacrifices we make of people like you. We don’t have to accept a system that drowns out your voice. We can obliterate it. Join us."

... And here we thought either Trump or Biden are the lesser of the evils??

Perhaps Rev Tibbetts has identified the real evil of the next election.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 06, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »

... And here we thought either Trump or Biden are the lesser of the evils??

Perhaps Rev Tibbetts has identified the real evil of the next election.

Just wondering, have you actually read any H.P. Lovecraft? Cthulhu f'htagn!
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 06, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »

Steven- I  am surprised you did not go for the real candidate of change: Morgoth Bauglir. Make Middle Earth Dark Again!
Matt Hummel

― J.R.R. Tolkien

RPG

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Don't feed the trolls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »

Steven- I  am surprised you did not go for the real candidate of change: Morgoth Bauglir. Make Middle Earth Dark Again!

And let us certainly not forget SMOD.
The Rev. Ryan P. Gage
Eureka, SD

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #761 on: May 08, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
"A court document from 1996 shows former Senate staffer Tara Reade told her ex-husband she was sexually harassed while working for Joe Biden in 1993.

The declaration — exclusively obtained by The Tribune in San Luis Obispo, California — does not say Biden committed the harassment nor does it mention Reade’s more recent allegations of sexual assault.

Reade’s then-husband Theodore Dronen wrote the court declaration. Dronen at the time was contesting a restraining order Reade filed against him days after he filed for divorce, Superior Court records show."

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/politics-government/article242527331.html

There is now infinitely more evidence that Joe Biden is guilty of what Tara Reade says he did than there ever was that Kavanaugh was guilty of anything.  Isn't it funny how fast standards change depending on whose ox is being gored?
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 08, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
"A court document from 1996 shows former Senate staffer Tara Reade told her ex-husband she was sexually harassed while working for Joe Biden in 1993.

The declaration — exclusively obtained by The Tribune in San Luis Obispo, California — does not say Biden committed the harassment nor does it mention Reade’s more recent allegations of sexual assault.

Reade’s then-husband Theodore Dronen wrote the court declaration. Dronen at the time was contesting a restraining order Reade filed against him days after he filed for divorce, Superior Court records show."

There is now infinitely more evidence that Joe Biden is guilty of what Tara Reade says he did than there ever was that Kavanaugh was guilty of anything.  Isn't it funny how fast standards change depending on whose ox is being gored?

The San Luis Obispo Tribune is now the Paper of Record.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »

This is true.  But I am beginning to think that in the eyes of most it no longer matters, unless it's convenient ammunition against ones opponent.  In the case of Biden this will undoubtedly be played down by the media. It is not getting anywhere near the coverage that the Kavanaugh case received.  Standards differ depending on the source.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
Standards differ depending on the source.

??  Two women alleging sexual harassment/abuse. Seems like a quite similar source to me.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs