Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 380024 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #4500 on: November 06, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
Peter keeps asking:
....will you join me in publicly condemning such voices and calling for people not to listen to them anymore?
I comment:
You do not build any coalitions or cooperation by agreeing in advance to condemn people. You are always more interested in getting condemnations then cooperation, or maybe you believe that the condemnationschave to happen before there can be cooperation. In either case I’m not going that route.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Voelker

« Reply #4501 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »
Might we, for a few more days, take a deep breath and cease the divisive blame game that will not contribute to the healing our nation needs.
That could be nice. It would be even nicer if this would be done in public, instead of having elected officials calling for this sort of thing. (Having everyone work together to make sure that votes are tabulated accurately would also be nice. Imagine if these machines made similar errors across the whole of the state, as they are in most counties there.)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: November 06, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
Peter keeps asking:
....will you join me in publicly condemning such voices and calling for people not to listen to them anymore?
I comment:
You do not build any coalitions or cooperation by agreeing in advance to condemn people. You are always more interested in getting condemnations then cooperation, or maybe you believe that the condemnationschave to happen before there can be cooperation. In either case I’m not going that route.
The issue is whether I should bother demonstrating to Marie that it is a perfectly mainstream opinion within the Democratic Party that everyone who isn’t actively anti-racist is a racist. I can easily do so. But I’m not going to unless it will make a difference. I suspect it wouldn’t.

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: November 06, 2020, 08:04:20 PM »
Peter keeps asking:
I comment:
The issue is whether I should bother demonstrating to Marie that it is a perfectly mainstream opinion within the Democratic Party that everyone who isn’t actively anti-racist is a racist. I can easily do so. But I’m not going to unless it will make a difference. I suspect it wouldn’t.

If you can substantiate that, "it is a perfectly mainsteam opinion within the Democratic Party that everyone who isn't actively anti-racist, I am open to hearing what you have to say."  What is the difference that you are asking for in advance?

marie 

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: November 06, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
I got an 8 point buck on Tuesday, my first ever antlered deer.  I used a Remington 870 in .270 Winchester.  But if my daughter goes with me next season, she's likely to use an AR-15.  Joe Biden is a demagogue when it comes to AR-15s, so pardon me if I don't consider him the voice of reason.  Beyond that, he is the guy who literally said if an intruder came to his house, he'd advise his wife to take a 2 shot weapon, leave the safety of her home, and empty it.  Maybe he isn't the best person to discuss gun policy in this country.

Ummm.  A Remington 870?  In .270 Winchester?

My bad -- Remington 700.

I don't own an 870, but I would love to have one someday.
I have a Remington 870 with a Hastings 12-gauge rifled barrel and a red-dot sight that I bought in the early 80's.  It can get the job done but it hasn't been used since Wisconsin law changed to allow rifles where my family hunts.  Since then I've used a Remington 742 in .30-06 that my grandfather bought new sometime around 1960.  My son still uses an 870 with a 20-gauge rifled barrel.  He has taken deer at up to 200 yards without missing anything he has shot at (he's a better shot than I am).

The AR-15 looks like a good choice, although I think I would want one of the more hunting oriented chamberings such as .224 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel.  The .223/5.56 round will get the job done, but half the fun is evaluating rounds and customizing your rifle.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4505 on: November 06, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
And we need to remember that Peter does not believe that racism is systematic and that almost everyone is already anti-racist.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: November 06, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »
BTW - congratulations on the deer!  I have yet to bag an antlered deer, although I sat almost face-to-face with one last week.  He came over a ridge and we were both caught off guard.

Thanks!  I got so very lucky -- it shouldn't have been mine in the first place.  I went with my neighbor.  His son was supposed to go but he didn't feel like it.  We certainly would have given him the shot otherwise.

Then my neighbor asked if I wanted to take the shot or him.  I deferred.  He lined up and..........*click*.

The deer flinched and took a few steps and stopped again, broadside.  Not wanting it to get away, I took the shot at that point.  I thought it was a nice sized six pointer.  Turned out to be an absolute monster of an eight pointer.  I don't hunt for trophies at all, but this being the first, it's a wall hanger.
The first buck I shot was at a range of 10 feet.  He was following a doe and didn't notice me until it was too late.  It was also a big eight pointer.  Congratulations on yours!

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: November 06, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »

When was the last time that the candidate of one party was elected President while his party lost seats in the House?

2016. Trump elected president, GOP lost 6 seats.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: November 06, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »

When was the last time that the candidate of one party was elected President while his party lost seats in the House?

Thank you for that. I'd forgotten.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4509 on: November 06, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »
James S. Rustad writes:
The first buck I shot was at a range of 10 feet.  He was following a doe and didn't notice me until it was too late.
I comment:
I am not a hunter and I do not oppose hunting. Friends and family members are avid hunters.
But bringing that buck down when he was distracted because he was hitting on that babe doesn’t seem sporting.  ;)  ;D

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: November 06, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »

Thank you for that. I'd forgotten.

You're welcome. But it really isn't all that unusual:
2000 Bush elected, GOP lost 3
1996 Clinton elected, Dems lost 54
1992 Clinton elected, Dems lost 19
1988 Bush elected, GOP lost 8
1960 Kennedy elected, Dems lost 18

So about a third of the time, it happens--usually not dramatically. So like this year.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: November 06, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »
This election looks to have been a repudiation of Trump the person but not necessarily a repudiation of his policies (except perhaps his policy of being a jerk.)
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James J Eivan

« Reply #4512 on: November 06, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
Possibly like Biden’s misappropriation of information,  the above response was ‘misappropriated’ another forum member .....

Four years ago--Republicans lost six House seats in 2016. However, this is the first time since 1884 that a Democrat was elected President without a Senate majority during the first two years of his term, assuming that the Republican candidate wins at least one of the two Georgia runoffs.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: November 06, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »
James S. Rustad writes:
The first buck I shot was at a range of 10 feet.  He was following a doe and didn't notice me until it was too late.
I comment:
I am not a hunter and I do not oppose hunting. Friends and family members are avid hunters.
But bringing that buck down when he was distracted because he was hitting on that babe doesn’t seem sporting.  ;)  ;D

And if the fish had kept his mouth shut he wouldn't have been caught.  ;)

Hunting includes understanding your quarry well enough to take advantage of its natural behaviors.  When I saw the buck at a long distance I realized that he was following the doe that had walked past me ten minutes earlier.  I moved slightly to have a better shot at where the doe had walked while remaining concealed, waited quietly for him to follow the doe's path, and shot at his point of closest approach.

In another case, I passed up a shot at a deer that I knew would walk past my wife.  She was much closer to where the deer walked than when it had gone past me (20 vs 200 yards).  Again, I understood the deer's behavior well enough to take advantage of that behavior.

Even after 50 years of hunting, deer still surprise me.  I don't always know what they are going to do.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4514 on: November 07, 2020, 08:08:19 AM »
The media can change its tune:
   The New York Post, a conservative publication, has been praising Trump for the last few weeks, calling him “an invincible hero, who not only survived every dirty trick the Democrats threw at him, but the Chinese virus as well.” The Post, a Rupert Murdoch enterprise, led the publication of the wild, unproven allegations about Biden and his son.
   But the paper has changed course. In an about-face, it published two articles strongly critical of the president. One accused the president of making an “unfounded claim that political foes were trying to steal the election.” The headline on the other described Donald Trump Jr. as the “panic-stricken” author of a “clueless tweet.”
   The New York Times reports some Post insider info. (Reporters from various newspapers are always sharing stories about the intrigues in their newsrooms. CA) Top editors at the Post, the Times reported, "told some staff members this week to be tougher in their coverage of him."
   Perhaps the paper is trying to salvage some dignity as the president goes down.
   Fox News continues to run stories skewed to make everything Trump says and does seem like it makes sense. Chris Wallace is an exception, often pointing out the errors and exaggerations.
   I have heard of conservative media attacking pollsters for "interfering" in the election, as if providing information was "interfering." Fox had one story attacking the "errors" of the pollsters, which began with a "they are all wrong" type lead and then it turns out that the "errors" were that they didn't properly predict the margins by which Biden won several states. It was sort of like sayng "Yeah, we lost, but you were wrong. We didn't lose by as much as you predicted!"