Author Topic: Interview with the Babylon Bee  (Read 292 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Interview with the Babylon Bee
« on: March 12, 2022, 09:21:57 AM »
Kongsvinger Lutheran Church (AALC), 15 minutes or so out of Grand Forks ND, had a fundraiser last night.  Recipients of the money raised were Lutherans for Life and the Grand Forks Women's Pregnancy Center.  Guest speaker was Kyle Mann of the Babylon Bee, speaking about the nature and use of satire for Christians.  The video starts with info/presentations by the Women's Pregnancy Center and Lutherans for Life; the presentation by Mr. Mann begins about 15 minutes into the video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXt_zJGG1U

Dana Lockhart

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with the Babylon Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 01:01:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing this!

In general, I find the Babylon Bee hilarious… there are plenty of liberal ELCA-ers who appreciate good satire.

I really found this a fascinating talk about the role satire can play in Christian witness. I think Kyle Mann handles the topic well, addresses concerns about "punching down" adeptly, and lays out a strong case.

Obvious political/theological differences, certainly, and the "obligatory" snub of the ELCA (but we can take it), but I am sympathetic to the overall argument. We need more laughter and far less humorless ideological bunk in this world.