Author Topic: Bishop Hanson on Race and Church  (Read 2660 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Hanson on Race and Church
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
It isn't really much of a parallel-
It would be more parallel to a pastor on a two-term call that could be renewed, wishing and hoping that the congregation renew the call.

The pastor waiting for the call should hope for it if s/he believes it to be the will of God. What s/he should NOT be doing is blabbing to the local Newspaper about what s/he will be doing when called to that parish.

In the case of extending a term-call, I think that a pastor would announce his/her desire to the congregation and others that s/he was willing to continue serving that congregation.

As one who has just received a Call (at least on the phone, waiting for the paperwork,) I did not announce it to the congregation until it was a done deal -- actually, I will be announcing it on Sunday, although I have told close friends in the congregation, and the council and have submitted my letter of resignation to the council president.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:42:31 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

MMH

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »
Matt Hummel writes:
The pastor waiting for the call should hope for it if s/he believes it to be the will of God.  What s/he should NOT be doing is blabbing to the local Newspaper about what s/he will be doing when called to that parish.

I comment:
But should a reporter call, what is the pastor to do? The church is a public institution, and our dealings are open to the public.

How about, "Now would be inappropriate, but depending on how things go on Sunday, call me Monday AM & we can speak?"

Matt+

Gary Schnitkey

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:47 AM »
Matt Hummel writes:
The pastor waiting for the call should hope for it if s/he believes it to be the will of God.  What s/he should NOT be doing is blabbing to the local Newspaper about what s/he will be doing when called to that parish.

I comment:
But should a reporter call, what is the pastor to do? The church is a public institution, and our dealings are open to the public.
Actually, the ELCA is not a public institution.  Its affairs are not open to governing by the public or the government.  The ELCA is roughly similar to a corporation whose stocks are available to anyone willing to buy them.  In the corporation analogy, ELCA members are equivalent to stock owners.

Mr. Hanson made his statements because they somehow advanced his purposes (Nothing wrong with that). 

Mr. Hanson seems to believe that the fact that the ELCA is 97% white is a bad and that increasing diversity can be accomplished by singing different hymns and speaking in different languages.  Both are arguable propositions.  However, they do indicate some of the directions that Mr. Hanson will continue to take if re-elected.