Author Topic: Bishop Hanson on Race and Church  (Read 2662 times)

JMOtterman

Bishop Hanson on Race and Church
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
 . . . "Our future depends on a willingness to confront the racial divide and culture of white privilege within the church," said [Mark Hanson] the 60-year-old leader of the nation's seventh-largest denomination, which is based in Chicago. . . "

Read about Bishop Hanson's reflections at http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/religion/.

Note: I've modified this posting. Please remember that simply posting articles here from some news medium is both boring and a violation of copyright. If you want people to read something, refer them to the URL, and then make some personal conversation about it. --roj
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:29:14 PM by Richard Johnson »

LutherMan

Re: Bishop Hanson on Race and Church
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:34:51 PM »

Please remember that simply posting articles here from some news medium is both boring If you want people to read something, refer them to the URL, and then make some personal conversation about it. --roj

Wouldn't that fall under a matter of opinion?  Many times I have been pointed to an article and was glad to get the OP's opinion after I read the article... ;)

LutherMan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:45:46 PM »
"We are still better at starting ethnic-specific and language-specific congregations," Hanson said. "We welcome persons of color, but often the expectation is that they will become like us rather than that we will be transformed by their presence."

He'd like to see Lutherans jarred from their comfort zones on Sundays.

"Maybe with a hymn from another culture," he said. "Or a
Scripture reading in another language
."

If they start doing Scripture readings in a language I don't speak or understand, that would definitely jar me out of my comfort zone.  Bad plan for English Language parishes...

MMH

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »
Hanson hopes to be reelected to another term as presiding bishop during the ELCA's churchwide assembly Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier.

Is it just me or is that sentence jarring?

Matt+.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:47:30 PM »
It's not just you, but of course it's also a secular reporter writing it.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles_Austin

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:20:55 PM »
Our esteemed moderator writes:
It's not just you, but of course it's also a secular reporter writing it.

I comment:
And we all know how b-a-a-d that can be. But wasn't our esteemed moderator once a secular reporter?

David Charlton

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
. . . "Our future depends on a willingness to confront the racial divide and culture of white privilege within the church," said [Mark Hanson] the 60-year-old leader of the nation's seventh-largest denomination, which is based in Chicago. . . "

Read about Bishop Hanson's reflections at http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/religion/.

Note: I've modified this posting. Please remember that simply posting articles here from some news medium is both boring and a violation of copyright. If you want people to read something, refer them to the URL, and then make some personal conversation about it. --roj

Oh, yes.  We want to hear the voices of our African American and Latino brothers and sisters.  Unless they take a more traditional stance on Scripture or sexuality, that is.  Go to the Lutheran CORE website and see how many Hispanic pastors have signed the Statement on Scripture.  Will their voices be heard?

Or look at the divide in the Anglican Communion.  Are wealthy and white bishops in TEC likely to listen to their brothers and sisters from Africa and the Two Thirds World? 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:00:19 AM by David Charlton »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:33:12 AM »

And we all know how b-a-a-d that can be. But wasn't our esteemed moderator once a secular reporter?

Nope, only the sacred kind. And of course my point was not that secular reporters are BAD, but that they often misunderstand the nuances and fine points of church life. Thus someone who understood the nuances of the ELCA would hardly write that Bp. Hanson "hopes to be reelected." Not that this probably isn't true, of course.  ::)

My son is now officially a secular reporter, having been hired by the China Daily. He flies to Beijing September 1 on a one-year contract.

LutherMan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:58 AM »
My son is now officially a secular reporter, having been hired by the China Daily.

What is his first name, so we can add him to our prayers?

Charles_Austin

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:45 AM »
Matt Hummell writes after quoting the article that says "Hanson hopes to be reelected to another term as presiding bishop during the ELCA's churchwide assembly Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier."

I comment:
No. Not at all. Bishop Hanson has said he would accept re-election. Presumably he did this after prayer and meditation, and with the belief that the Spirit is guiding him. So why should he not "hope" that he is right and will be re-elected?

Parallel: A pastor is interviewed by a congregation and everything feels right, the call committee is supportive, the congregation council endorses him, both doing so after prayer. So when the congregational meeting is next Sunday, should the pastor not be "hoping" that the call is extended?

MMH

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:46 AM »
Matt Hummell writes after quoting the article that says "Hanson hopes to be reelected to another term as presiding bishop during the ELCA's churchwide assembly Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier."

I comment:
No. Not at all. Bishop Hanson has said he would accept re-election. Presumably he did this after prayer and meditation, and with the belief that the Spirit is guiding him. So why should he not "hope" that he is right and will be re-elected?

Parallel: A pastor is interviewed by a congregation and everything feels right, the call committee is supportive, the congregation council endorses him, both doing so after prayer. So when the congregational meeting is next Sunday, should the pastor not be "hoping" that the call is extended?

Hey Chuck-

Get new lenses for your reading glasses- One "l" in Hummel.  Unless you are into that passive agressive type of behavior.

ANyhow- my point is  how would/should we reactif one of the Papabili were to be interviewd by a major news outlet and say that s/he hoped to be elected as Presiding Bishop?

I like the Ambrose model of episcopal confirmation.

Matt (HummeL)+

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
My son is now officially a secular reporter, having been hired by the China Daily.

What is his first name, so we can add him to our prayers?

His name is Luke. Thanks for the prayers!

Maryland Brian

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 10:41:33 AM »

Having personally helped bring a Korean pastor and his congregation into the ELCA (and our current congregation is in partnership with yet another Korean congregation which has no intention of following the same pattern and really doesn't matter), perhaps the good Bishop might try reaching out in Christ to new populations instead of playing out retread 70's era racism workshops. It hasn't worked in nearly 30 years.  Give it a rest and try a different model.

Shesh - the height of institutional navel gazing....

Maryland Brian

MMH

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:05:21 AM »

Chipster-

It isn't really much of a parallel-

The pastor waiting for the call should hope for it if s/he believes it to be the will of God.  What s/he should NOT be doing is blabbing to the local Newspaper about what s/he will be doing when called to that parish.

Matt HummeL

Charles_Austin

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:05:44 PM »
Matt Hummel writes:
The pastor waiting for the call should hope for it if s/he believes it to be the will of God.  What s/he should NOT be doing is blabbing to the local Newspaper about what s/he will be doing when called to that parish.

I comment:
But should a reporter call, what is the pastor to do? The church is a public institution, and our dealings are open to the public.