Author Topic: Herbert Chilstrom+  (Read 5126 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Chilstrom+
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »
In case anyone is interested, you can watch Bp. Chilstrom's funeral here.  https://news.blog.gustavus.edu/2020/01/31/memorial-for-elca-bishop-herbert-chilstrom/

Incidentally, one of the organists is Dr. David Fienen, retired professor and academic dean at Gustavus Adolphus College.  Dr. Fienen's brother is well know to all of us here.

Bp. Chilstrom was David's pastor before he was Bishop and a long time friend. He also for a time called David boss when after he retired Bp. Chilstrom was interim gardener at the Linnaeus Arboretum on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College (it was kind of a standing joke between them) and the Arboretum fell under David's prevue.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:26:02 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
I was there at the service. It was exceedingly well done, and the music was spectacular.
The sermon may have been a few minutes too long, but it was OK.
All in all it was a fine funeral and the a proper tribute to the source of our salvation and to bishop Chilstrom.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
I was there at the service. It was exceedingly well done, and the music was spectacular.
The sermon may have been a few minutes too long, but it was OK.
All in all it was a fine funeral and the a proper tribute to the source of our salvation and to bishop Chilstrom.
I saw you (I think) during the recessional. I hope that you enjoyed your time in St. Peter.