Author Topic: Youth Ministry Activities  (Read 2559 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Re: Youth Ministry Activities
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
This week we are setting up our All Hallows Eve Labyrinth, to which we invite the community. I've been processing a deer carcass this afternoon so we have some bones for one of our displays. When our members went to the meat processing plant to get the deer bones, one of the workers asked, "What kind of church is this?"

This year our theme is The Final Judgement. All our displays will relate to things Jesus lists in Matthew 24. This is our third year hosting the event. Looks like we may have rain, as we did last year. It didn't seem to affect attendance too much last year so we hoping for another good year.

I wonder what others are doing for All Hallows this year and youth ministry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:42:41 PM by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht »
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
Our parochial school is once again hosting a Trunk or Treat for the community, with costumes and candy for all.  Our newly formed "Under 30" group -- mainly college aged members and nonmembers -- will be helping with that and then going out for pizza afterwards (at my age, anyone under the age of 30 is considered in the "youth" category).  Our high school age Youth Group has also participated in the past; I am not sure if they are again this year or not.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »
Despite cold weather and sharp winds, we had good turn out for the labyrinth. Not as many adults visited this year but the kids turned up just the same. It was fun greeting the people on the street and showing them how to get to the church where an enthusiastic team served. A wonderful event. Nice to see repeat visitors who recognize me as a neighborhood pastor. Now we just have to clean up after a few hospital visits this morning.

It's interesting how people fair well in a fair weather season (I had few hospital visits over the summer) but fair poorer when the weather changes. Lord, have mercy.

The youth overnight is coming up quickly. The new youth choir sings on Sunday for the first time. Looking forward to hearing what the choir director has prepared with them.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »
My wife and I were blessed this weekend to host a youth overnight, which our catechism students requested. We have typically hosted such an event in February but the kids wanted one this fall, too. Focused on how God values their lives through Christ. Sang "What Wondrous Love Is This" and had evening prayer in sanctuary. Looking forward to the February event.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
Hosted our February overnight this weekend on the topic of friendship, characteristics of friendship in particular. Very good learning experience about teen expectations today.

We started by asking the youth what friendship characteristics were most important to them. "Funny" was tops. We then went to the Scriptures and had a real transformation in the discussion, arriving at love as tops. Really an honor to work with the youth and help them grow.

Now, I just need a little more sleep.