Author Topic: Nominees for Concordia Seminary President Announced  (Read 115822 times)

James J Eivan

Re: Nominees for Concordia Seminary President Announced
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
It will either be an institutional choice for the past (whether one in line with the Powers That Be in Synod, Inc.™, or one that would have looked relatively normal in 1983)...

An interesting choice of years.  Any reason for the year "1983"?
Only to avoid the 60s, 70s, and 1984. Too much baggage carried by any of those dates. Also to avoid a year in which a new president was elected (Barth was '82, I believe). Also to hark back to a time that was, while no less fraught, was comparably more stable, socially-speaking.
Apparently I'm a bit historically challenged ... other than my 50 something year old mother passing to glory, 1984 doesn't hold much significance  ... please enlighten.

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #541 on: May 16, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
It will either be an institutional choice for the past (whether one in line with the Powers That Be in Synod, Inc.™, or one that would have looked relatively normal in 1983)...

Only to avoid the 60s, 70s, and 1984. Too much baggage carried by any of those dates. Also to avoid a year in which a new president was elected (Barth was '82, I believe). Also to hark back to a time that was, while no less fraught, was comparably more stable, socially-speaking.
Apparently I'm a bit historically challenged ... other than my 50 something year old mother passing to glory, 1984 doesn't hold much significance  ... please enlighten.

Does the name George Orwell ring a bell? 

Dave Benke

readselerttoo

« Reply #542 on: May 16, 2020, 01:50:50 PM »

Does the name George Orwell ring a bell? 

Dave Benke

;D

James J Eivan

« Reply #543 on: May 16, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
Oh that junk ... given this is a Lutheran forum and the '70's and to a lesser extent the '60s where a time of upheaval and strife among Lutherans, I was thinking there was a Lutheran significance that was being eluded to.

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 16, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »
Some people think that 1984 was a disastrous turning point in the Synod since I was ordained that year. 

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 16, 2020, 03:59:23 PM »
Oh that junk ... given this is a Lutheran forum and the '70's and to a lesser extent the '60s where a time of upheaval and strife among Lutherans, I was thinking there was a Lutheran significance that was being eluded to.

Alluded.  As to "that junk," here's an article on the topic of 1984 the book:  https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/1984-george-orwell/590638/.  First sentence: No novel of the past century has had more influence than George Orwell’s 1984.

Dave Benke

James J Eivan

« Reply #546 on: May 16, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »

Alluded.  As to "that junk," here's an article on the topic of 1984 the book:  https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/1984-george-orwell/590638/.  First sentence: No novel of the past century has had more influence than George Orwell’s 1984.

Dave Benke

Oh well ... I guess it’s what floats ones boat and whether one worries about keeping up with the Joneses  ... personally my boat floats without keeping up with the Joneses.

PrTim15

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 16, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
Seminary Presidential hopefuls being interviewed today,  prayers ascend

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 16, 2020, 05:05:33 PM »

Dave Benke

Oh well ... I guess it’s what floats ones boat and whether one worries about keeping up with the Joneses  ... personally my boat floats without keeping up with the Joneses.
What does keeping up with the Joneses have to do with it? A 1984 reference is like a Star Wars reference. Like it or hate, or even care about it or never seen it, it is part of the basic cultural language.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Nominees for Concordia Seminary President Announce
« Reply #549 on: May 16, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
And it is the height of arrogance to say “well because I don’t care about  it, it is of no value.”
Peter said it correctly, “basic cultural language.”
Maybe it didn’t touch some people because it wasn’t In the “Lutheran “ bubble.
Retired ELCA Pastor: We are not a very inter-Lutheran forum. Posters with more than 1,500 posts: ELCA-6, with 3 of those inactive/rare and 1 moderator; LCMS-25, with 4 inactive/rare and 1 moderator. Non-Lutherans, 3; maybe 4 from other Lutheran bodies. 3 formerly frequent posters have gone quiet.

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 16, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
CSL Facebook:

Concordia Seminary, St. Louis has extended a call to Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr., president of Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., to serve as the 11th president in the school’s 181-year history, and to succeed Dr. Dale A. Meyer, who is retiring June 30. The call was extended today after electors completed interviews with the final slate of six candidates. Read more: https://vimeo.com/419388946

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 16, 2020, 06:09:58 PM »
<like>
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 16, 2020, 06:12:58 PM »
May the Lord guide Dr. Rast in the decision he must now make.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 16, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »
May the Lord guide Dr. Rast in the decision he must now make.

Well stated, Dan.   The extension of the Call is not the acceptance of same.  The Lord is good, and His tender mercies are over all His works.  Blessings and peace to Dr. Rast in this time of discernment and deliberation.

Dave Benke

PS  Just to put this out there.  Should Dr. Rast be led to accept the call to St. Louis, there are only two possible choices for the Presidency at CTSFW (Fort Wayne).  Admiral Dan Gard, and Dr. Dien Ashley Taylor. 

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 16, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
From Pastor Peppercorn's Facebook page:

"For the record, the reason the Concordia Seminary announcement is late is because of the stupid internet in Rocklin, California. So if you must blame someone, blame the avocado toast we have to wrap around all of our Ethernet cables..."

The announcement was supposed to be at 2 p.m. CDT., but was an hour late.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman