Author Topic: Nominees for Concordia Seminary President Announced  (Read 115826 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Re: Nominees for Concordia Seminary President Announced
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »
My sons and many other students are now taking classes from home due to covid-19 restrictions. I wonder how arms are handling that and leading them to rethink what they do and the church needs.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Fcdwyn

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
I continually receive solicitation from both CSL and CTSFW for donations. I have decided to reply on the return donation card that no donation will be made to either seminary until there is a serious discussion and final decision about consolidation of seminary education in the LCMS.  We do not need two seminaries.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2020, 05:20:10 PM »
Outsider observation:  institutional rivalries aside, the seminary best deserving to be closed cannot be, because of historical financial encumbrances.  That's why it hasn't happened to date, and will continue not to.  I don't see anything in the current crisis that changes that reality, short of the complete financial collapse of both of them.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

James J Eivan

« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
I continually receive solicitation from both CSL and CTSFW for donations. I have decided to reply on the return donation card that no donation will be made to either seminary until there is a serious discussion and final decision about consolidation of seminary education in the LCMS.  We do not need two seminaries.
Insider (LCMS pew sitter) observation: Many who remember the problems of the ‘70’s have seen those events as justification of having both seminaries ... however the realities of today may render that justification moot ... or at least reopen the topic for discussion.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2020, 06:21:41 PM »

Personally, I am hoping that they do not consolidate the two seminaries into one.  My suspicion is that if they did it would all move to St. Louis and the education of future pastors would be influenced by a more narrow approach, the Ft. Wayne approach being seen as too conservative, especially with respect to liturgics, and thus removed.  Of course, I am a CTS-FW grad and I teach for this seminary online in the SMP program, so I will admit some bias. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2020, 04:39:50 PM »
The final slate for Seminary President was just announced - https://www.csl.edu/2020/05/slate-for-seminary-president-determined/

The following six individuals have been named to the final slate of candidates to be considered for election and call as the 11th president of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis:

Dr. Joel C. Elowsky
Dr. Glenn K. Fluegge
Dr. Jeffrey J. Kloha
Dr. Jacob A. O. Preus III
Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr.
Dr. Douglas L. Rutt

These candidates were selected from the 44 nominees who gave permission for their names to stand in consideration for the call. The slate was established by the Seminary’s Board of Regents (voting individually), the LCMS district president elected to the Seminary’s Board of Regents (Dr. John Wille, LCMS South Wisconsin District), the president of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (Dr. Matthew C. Harrison) and the chairman of the LCMS Board of Directors (Dr. Michael Kumm).

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, these electors will vote to select the candidate to receive the call. Per the LCMS Handbook, in this vote, electors Wille, Harrison and Kumm each will have one vote, and the remaining members of the Seminary’s Board of Regents will have one collective vote. A public announcement will be made that day following the election.

The new president will succeed President Dr. Dale A. Meyer, who will retire June 30. Meyer became the Seminary’s 10th president in 2005.

Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
As I previously stated in post #186 in February, the fact that Dr. Lawerence Rast Jr.
allowed his name to stand as a candidate could lead to him being President of
both Seminaries.  Dr. Patrick Ferry is President of both Concordia University Wisconsin
and Concordia Ann Arbor University.  So there is a current precedent for this
to happen.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »
The final slate for Seminary President was just announced - https://www.csl.edu/2020/05/slate-for-seminary-president-determined/

The following six individuals have been named to the final slate of candidates to be considered for election and call as the 11th president of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis:

Dr. Joel C. Elowsky
Dr. Glenn K. Fluegge
Dr. Jeffrey J. Kloha
Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr.
Dr. Douglas L. Rutt

These candidates were selected from the 44 nominees who gave permission for their names to stand in consideration for the call. The slate was established by the Seminary’s Board of Regents (voting individually), the LCMS district president elected to the Seminary’s Board of Regents (Dr. John Wille, LCMS South Wisconsin District), the president of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (Dr. Matthew C. Harrison) and the chairman of the LCMS Board of Directors (Dr. Michael Kumm).

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, these electors will vote to select the candidate to receive the call. Per the LCMS Handbook, in this vote, electors Wille, Harrison and Kumm each will have one vote, and the remaining members of the Seminary’s Board of Regents will have one collective vote. A public announcement will be made that day following the election.

The new president will succeed President Dr. Dale A. Meyer, who will retire June 30. Meyer became the Seminary’s 10th president in 2005.

Thanks for this forward, Harry Edmon - that's an interesting list, to be sure.  Equally interesting to me is the list of electors.  An example from the "old" days at a college - it was me in capacity as the District President from the geographical district in which the school was located; the board of regents as a vote, the president of Synod or his rep as a vote, and the head of the Board for Higher Education.  The one that doesn't fit in the equation to me - and this is just me catching up - is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Synod.  The BOD of LCMS Inc. is supposedly the "business" end of the denomination, not the educational department.  I wonder how and why that happened? 

Most of our stuff is a byzantine maze of trade-offs and stand-offs to outsiders, but somehow makes sense to those in the know.  The only thing that makes sense to me is
a) they needed or wanted four votes - keep the number of votantes the same
b) the CUS is no longer directly connected to the seminaries, so some other entity had to be picked.  I guess that will be helpful when the decision needs to be made to close one of the campuses.  The business board will already be in the room.

I personally think the ALPB active posters as a group should have been and should be going forward the fourth vote in any four vote election in the Missouri Synod and/or the ELCA.  Let's open things up - good grief, we've already greased the skids for a complete district and college realignment/rightsizing in the Missouri Synod.  Haven't we earned our way into those smoky electoral chambers?  I think so.

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
Quote from: Dave Benke link=topic=7360.msg476523#msg476523
  I guess that will be helpful when the decision needs to be made to close one of the campuses.  The business board will already be in the room.

Do you think that they will close one of the seminaries in the near foreseeable future?  And curious: would you prefer to see St. Louis as the one that remained open?  If so, how do you envision the blending of the two into one? 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:36:52 PM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2020, 08:06:39 PM »
[quote author=Dave Benke link=topic=7360.msg476523#msg476523  I guess that will be helpful when the decision needs to be made to close one of the campuses.  The business board will already be in the room.
?

Do you think that they will close one of the seminaries in the near foreseeable future?  And curious: would you prefer to see St. Louis as the one that remained open?  If so, how do you envision the blending of the two into one?
[/quote]

It would make total sense.  Even if you combined the two enrollments you don't have anything like a full campus.  So which campus?  There's more financial value, or at least there used to be a few months ago, in the St. Louis campus.  And there's the clause about the usage of the campus at Ft. Wayne - the ideas from this board on what could be done with it include a continued educational option there.  But - if that's what would happen, there would be no gain from property sale in bringing about a joining of the seminaries.  There would be some overhead savings no doubt, some paring down savings no doubt, and the combination of the two endowments ($100 million?) could make it gel. 

The basic thing is to do away with this in-bred belief that you need to have two seminaries as a hedge against one going bad.  Move on, already.  Make decisions that have to do with focusing the mission and formation of pastors and leaders for the church body.  I'm just spitballing.  As of 4/1/20, I have no position of any kind in a synodically-operated entity.  Just a rostered country and western preacher on a city and eastern ranch.  We'll be singing "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" tomorrow morning around 10:10 AM on Good Shepherd Sunday, because the local undershepherd and his flock like that one.  Also at the end singing "Have No Fear, Little Flock."  Which is directly to the point.

Dave Benke

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2020, 08:58:42 PM »

Dr. Joel C. Elowsky
Dr. Glenn K. Fluegge
Dr. Jeffrey J. Kloha
Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr.
Dr. Douglas L. Rutt

There are some interesting names on that list.

Anyone want to lay odds on who is chosen?
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

RandyBosch

« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
Outsider observation:  institutional rivalries aside, the seminary best deserving to be closed cannot be, because of historical financial encumbrances.  That's why it hasn't happened to date, and will continue not to.  I don't see anything in the current crisis that changes that reality, short of the complete financial collapse of both of them.

Isn't the issue that if the Ft. Wayne land is not used for appropriate church uses (the gift instrument might define them), the land must returned to the ownership of whoever gave the gift, or perhaps their successors and assigns if not since altered.

If so, isn't the loss there of the land and physical plant.  So, that seminary can be closed, at the loss of the assumed monetary value of those, if they have monetary value beyond real estate.

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »
Outsider observation:  institutional rivalries aside, the seminary best deserving to be closed cannot be, because of historical financial encumbrances.
Just curious, what is the basis for determining which seminary is "best deserving to be closed"?
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »
Outsider observation:  institutional rivalries aside, the seminary best deserving to be closed cannot be, because of historical financial encumbrances.
Just curious, what is the basis for determining which seminary is "best deserving to be closed"?
I don’t think either seminary deserves to be closed. That’s a tad different from being the seminary that it makes the most sense to close. And if we’re talking about Ft. Wayne I don’t think closing the seminary would cost us the property, assuming we converted it to some other mission-related activity.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
I don’t think either seminary deserves to be closed. That’s a tad different from being the seminary that it makes the most sense to close. And if we’re talking about Ft. Wayne I don’t think closing the seminary would cost us the property, assuming we converted it to some other mission-related activity.

I agree with both of these assessments.  In any restructuring scenario, those institutions that have been falling, failing, less productive, at or below margin prior to the convulsion are more likely to be prioritized.  In NYC we could not have known in advance the dimension of the Lutheran grade school enrollment drop that followed 9/11, and the charter school growth which provided a free education for parents with a more values-laden curriculum proved the death knell for most of the schools.  It was a double whammy to institutions that were on the margin at the turn of the century.  It really hasn't been that much different in the much larger Catholic school system. 

And it's no different for the nationwide Lutheran school system including everything from pre-school on up through the seminary.  All good will and fervent prayers notwithstanding, now is the time to plan for different educational provision going forward.  Re-purposing properties and solidifying efforts behind the stated mission is the base from which to plan.  I'm sure all of this is already on the agenda at the national level, and I know it's on the agenda at the regional level and local level, speaking personally.

Dave Benke