Author Topic: Welcome to Chicago  (Read 16909 times)

scott3

Re: Welcome to Chicago
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »
What is coarsely translated as "Gracious Spirit, Heed Our Pleading" is a translation of the Swahili song we sang all the time in Kenya.  Wow.  Makes me feel nostalgic to sing: "Njoo, njoo, njoo Roho Mwema".

ptmccain

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:49 PM »
OK, admit it. We are weirdo convention-geeks. Two LCMS guys watching the ELCA convention and commenting on it.

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:56 PM »
I'm using a high speed cable modem and Flash, and it seems pretty clear -- not as clear as two years ago -- but I was in Orlando, and saw and heard it live -- didn't even need a computer.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

ptmccain

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
Brian, why does the ELCA go through a paper ballot process for presiding bishop as opposed to the electronic voting system?

scott3

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
OK, admit it. We are weirdo convention-geeks. Two LCMS guys watching the ELCA convention and commenting on it.

Hey, quit being so mean-spirited.  I'm just trying to raise the interest value like Peter did.  This is all part of my covert campaign to become the "Assistant to the Assistant Editor" of ALPB, so hush!

ptmccain

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
In that case, by all means carry on.

Kurt Strause

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »
Brian, why does the ELCA go through a paper ballot process for presiding bishop as opposed to the electronic voting system?

I'm not Brian, but I attending four assemblies as a voting member. The first ballot is a nominating ballot. Any voting member may write down the name of any ordained ELCA member. Subsequent ballots will be electronic.

Kurt Strause

PS I assume you meant for Presiding Bishop.
ELCA pastor, Lancaster, PA

ptmccain

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »
Interesting observation: it would appear that people of the ELCA pronounce "Evangelical" with a short "e" sound, while most people outside the ELCA pronounce it with a long "e."

scott3

« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2007, 10:17:59 PM »
Interesting observation: it would appear that people of the ELCA pronounce "Evangelical" with a short "e" sound, while most people outside the ELCA pronounce it with a long "e."

Having lived 5 years in Minnesota while I was also a part of the ELCA, I can say with assurance that the pronunciation of "Evangelical" comes from the short "e" in the midst of the word "Lutefisk" of which even the Scandihoovians consider their hard-core American relations a bit over-zealous (but then again, from that perspective [especially as it was adopted by the American branch] pretty much anything mentioned more than in passing counts as outright dirty politics...).

ptmccain

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »
Hanson does a magnificent job as chairman. One of the very best I've ever seen.

scott3

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2007, 10:24:38 PM »
Hanson does a magnificent job as chairman. One of the very best I've ever seen.

Same thing I thought 3 years ago.  His silencing and brilliant reparte regarding the LC/NA // GoodSoil public tantrum was amazing in my book.  Truly deft (not "daft" for those who may be confused).

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2007, 10:28:42 PM »
Same thing I thought 3 years ago.  His silencing and brilliant reparte regarding the LC/NA // GoodSoil public tantrum was amazing in my book.  Truly deft (not "daft" for those who may be confused).
You are probably thinking 2 years ago. We have our CWA every two years.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

scott3

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »
You are probably thinking 2 years ago. We have our CWA every two years.

Well, it's so impactful on my life that the repurcussions reverberate to the point that it almost seems like a daily occurence to me.  Or perhaps I was wrong.  Take your pick...

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
Well, see there's this logistical problem. This is a really stupid facility situation. The hotel is a twenty minute walk from convention center. The convention center doesn't have wireless access; the only internet access in the convention center is in the press room, which is like another universe. So the best I can do is write my impressions as we go along, and then post them at the end of the plenary session, or when there is a recess, or when there is something boring enough that I have time to see if I can find the press room again. It's a pain in the neck. The various "interest groups" have their meeting rooms in the hotel, so there's no place for a quick caucus. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I suppose I could give you a blow by blow if I sat in the press room and watched the video feed, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of being here, don't you think?

As for the election, yes, it's a clunky way to elect a bishop. If you would just read Forum Letter, you would know that we have made several suggestions for improvement, none of which have been taken.

I would like to make a humble suggestion, however. Perhaps you LCMS guys would be polite and refrain from rude remarks about how we do things, just as ELCA people generally did during the coverage of your convention. Ask questions, to be sure, but don't be smart alecks, or that other word either.

And now, to sleep, perchance to dream . . .
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2007, 06:43:10 AM »
Perhaps you LCMS guys would be polite and refrain from rude remarks about how we do things

OK, Richard. I will abide by that as long as I can still critique the LCMS occasionally.

Peace, JOHN HANNAH, LCMS Pastor
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS