Author Topic: Welcome to Chicago  (Read 16914 times)

Maryland Brian

Re: Welcome to Chicago
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
No. Never have been. Never will be. Actually, bringing in pedophilia is a redirect. No one in the ELCA has been arguing for it.

But at least one former ELCA pastor from your synod who was a strong supporter of LC/NA ended up in jail from his inappropriate contact with a young confirmation student.  He argued he was teaching the young man how to personally pleasure himself. The courts didn't buy it, but certainly this particular pastor believed it.  So ... at least one former LC/NA leader was arguing for it.

Thus we are left with me still questioning what's on the hearts and minds of advocates when they use "any sexual orientation."  Anyway, because I don't trust LC/NA, I will not believe much of what they may publish or advocate.  And, by extension, I question why the Metro DC synod was not clearer in what they meant. 

MD Brian

ptmccain

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
Hey, somebody nudge Johnson and let him know his Assembly has begun. He can begin live blogging it now.

:)

The audio on the live video feed is pretty poor. The Assembly began with the singing of "A Mighty Fortress" that is the good news, the bad news is that it is that dreadful isometric version.

The chairman is reading from teleprompters, which...may make for more accurate words, but has  sort of artificial feel to it, since he is reading text.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:39:54 PM by ptmccain »

scott3

« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
Hey, somebody nudge Johnson and let him know his Assembly has begun. He can begin live blogging it now.

:)

Gee.  Having wasted part of my life watching this stuff, you may have to more than nudge him.  But in any case, so far Peter did much better.  But of course that's to be expected -- Peter is LCMS, after all.   ;D  8)

ptmccain

« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »
Interesting comparison of technical things.

They just amended their rule to limit speeches to TWO minutes instead of three minutes.

It is very hard to read the voting results and any text on the light background they are using. Not enough contrast. I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how displaying light text on light background makes it difficult for the visually impaired.

Sound system seems somewhat poor, lots of echo. I'm surprised the mikes do not cancel out the echo for the video when speakers are speaking.

The running closed captioning is terrific!

I notice this time they are not putting names of speakers on the screen as they did last time.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:46:01 PM by ptmccain »

scott3

« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2007, 09:39:50 PM »
Interesting comparison of technical things.

They just amended their rule to limit speeches to TWO minutes instead of three minutes.

It is very hard to read the voting results and any text on the light background they are using. Not enough contrast. I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how displaying light text on light background makes it difficult for the visually impaired.

Sound system seems somewhat poor, lots of echo. I'm surprised the mikes do not cancel out the echo when speakers are speaking.

The running closed captioning is terrific!

I notice this time they are not putting names of speakers on the screen as they did last time.

I also noticed that the time delegates have to push a button is longer, too.  Probably good for Minnesotans who feel a bit sorrowful that they have to be so forceful in the assertion of their opinion, so it may be culturally appropriate.

[[Of course, us Slavs are quite used to "punching the button" on people, but I'd imagine that Roman Catholic conventions would allot barely enough time to take a breath, as Italians (especially Sicillians) seem to be quite eager to "punch the button" on other folks.]]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:51:50 PM by Scott._.Yaki mow »

ptmccain

« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2007, 09:41:36 PM »
Seems a clunky way to elect bishop. Each Synod's bishop has to count their voting delegates. I don't understand why if they have certified they have a quarum. Anyone?

ptmccain

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »
Is Richard''s computer kaput? Or did Peter do such an obsessive-compulsively good job live blogging it is unfair to make any comparisons?

Maryland Brian

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »

BTW, watching with Flash and a DSL line, the video and sound are even better than last year's assembly.  Kudos.  Are you guys using the Windozzzzz .....  media player?

MD Brian

Rev. BT Ball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »
Boring.  Boring.
Pr. Ben Ball+

Maryland Brian

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

Gag - is that really in the new book? 

MD Brian

Maryland Brian

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »

Oh Look!  We're on TV!!!!

Gack

ptmccain

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »
Using a 5 megabit DSL [very fast] and a flash based window in Firefox.

The quality, to me, is not as good as the last convention I watched. Could be just my own connections, etc.

I'll try it on my PC downstairs some time.

ptmccain

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »
Flash is much better. I started up the Windows Media Player on my Mac and it is much poorer quality, and there is a lag, for I am now listening to things I just heard on the Flash. So, apparently now this is just nominating for the Bishop, no vote on that tonight apparently.

ptmccain

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to an explanation of what surely seems like a clunky method for electing bishop. Why can't they just do it electronically?

scott3

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2007, 10:00:23 PM »
Yoohoo!  Richard?  I know that you can wittily comment on the situation, but where are you?

If I start live-blogging, will I get the per diem?