Author Topic: Welcome to Chicago  (Read 16907 times)

Erma_S._Wolf

Re: Welcome to Chicago
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »
Hmm.  We've come a long way for "welcome to Chicago." 

So it's probably time to turn our eyes back to Chi-town, where, as of the time of this post, the "Worship Jubilee" should be in high-gear and delegates ...oops, VOTING MEMBERS... will begin arriving in the next several hours.

I know Richard and Erma are on the ground there.  How're things going, I wonder?

Anyone... Anyone...  Buehler... Buehler.... ;)

Well, Jerry, it is hot and very humid today, so anyone with any sense is staying in the air conditioning.  Right now I am trying to find out where one has to go to get registered, and when that opens.  With the hotel being at one space and the actual assembly being in another (a do-able mile and a half apart) there may be a few glitches.  I hope to check out the boat rides on Lake Michigan before this week is over, but will probably pass on the ferris wheel.   I've spotted Bishop Hanson (actually a lot of bishops; what is the name for a group of bishops?) and the hotel registration desk is definitely a place to steer clear of if one can.  And now I need to go find supper.

Keep those prayers coming.  They are most appreciated and I really think this assembly is going to need them.

Erma Wolf 

janielou13

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2007, 07:31:59 PM »
Bishops, like eagles, flock in convocations.

scott3

« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
Perhaps a clutch (depending on how much they want to be re-elected)?  But a murder of bishops may work if they aren't too careful with how they approach theology.  I think that the most appropos would be a pride, though.

;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:22:28 PM by Scott._.Yaki mow »

LutherMan

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
How about "The House of Bishops?"  Sounds verrry tony and high falutin' enough to impress, although I prefer gaggle.

janielou13

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »
" But a murder of bishops may work if they aren't too careful with how they approach theology."

Murder most applies as to how one approaches kings, not God,,,,,,, as Becket, among others, found out.

Gladfelteri

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2007, 08:41:49 PM »
Perhaps a clutch (depending on how much they want to be re-elected)?  But a murder of bishops may work if they aren't too careful with how they approach theology.  I think that the most appropos would be a pride, though.
Lets see:  A group of kangaroos is often  called a "mob".  How about a "mob" of bishops?   ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:24:59 AM by Irl Gladfelter »

janielou13

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
Irl,,,,,,,, that only applies to Naples and south, including Sicily.

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
I'm not getting the extended joke, guys, and I'm sure visitors are not either. I think this thread is going to have plenty as it is one of the few places for news. Let's try and be presentable.

Our bishops are not to be spoken of in a jeering way. They are there in that office as God has allowed it. If they are under judgment, we are too.

Pr. Jerry

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
Keep those prayers coming.  They are most appreciated and I really think this assembly is going to need them.

No doubt it will...  I don't know about the spiritual climate there in Chicago, but in other quarters the proverbial weather is getting nasty...  Bp. Payne's decision to preside at the LC/NA's mass is sparking a furor in at least one group of which I am a part and I see nothing but darker clouds on the horizon.

The best thing any of us can do is pray.  And I shall.  Christ shall prevail!

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

scott3

« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »
I'm not getting the extended joke, guys, and I'm sure visitors are not either. I think this thread is going to have plenty as it is one of the few places for news. Let's try and be presentable.

Our bishops are not to be spoken of in a jeering way. They are there in that office as God has allowed it. If they are under judgment, we are too.

Sorry.  Didn't mean to "jeer" but was attempting to have some light-hearted fun.  I've even added some emoticons to prove my point...

jrubyaz

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2007, 01:28:12 AM »

Let's keep on praying. It will be interesting to see any COB reaction to Payne's decision. I don't see much happening. The reall issue is whether changing V and E for Mr. Schmelling  in this one case will allow things to change without officially changing V and E-if they vote on it and it passes, it is all over for any orthodox interpretation of scripture in ELCA.
Pr. Jeff Ruby

No doubt it will...  I don't know about the spiritual climate there in Chicago, but in other quarters the proverbial weather is getting nasty...  Bp. Payne's decision to preside at the LC/NA's mass is sparking a furor in at least one group of which I am a part and I see nothing but darker clouds on the horizon.

The best thing any of us can do is pray.  And I shall.  Christ shall prevail!

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Eric_Swensson

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2007, 07:11:31 AM »

Sorry.  Didn't mean to "jeer" but was attempting to have some light-hearted fun.  I've even added some emoticons to prove my point...

It was getting to be a dog pile Scott, that's all. I'm leery of all sort of things which might skew anyone's understanding this week. The ELCA needs clarity.

Maryland Brian

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »

Here's something I just caught in the fine print from The Lutheran:

Metropolitan Washington, D.C., requested a rite for blessing same-gender unions and that the 2007 assembly reject "any therapy that seeks to change one's sexual orientation."

Pg. 36, The Lutheran, August 2007

Simply stunning.  I think I know what they mean ... or do I?  Does this mean we should not tamper with the sexual orientation of pedophiles?  How about Bigamists or the Manbla crowd?

To those who think the ELCA can be reformed toward an orthodox orientation ... it would seem some places are a lot further down the road than mere changes in V&E.  What difference will V&E mean, or this national assembly for that matter, when an entire synod rejects "therapy that seeks to change one's sexual orientation."  Images of OT prophets and judgment keep popping up before my eyes ...

MD Brian

janielou13

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
What ever could a 'Manbla' be or do ?

Rev. BT Ball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »
It is actually, Nambla - the North American Man Boy Love Association. 
Pr. Ben Ball+