Author Topic: "The Idiosyncratic Pope Francis"  (Read 1534 times)

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
"The Idiosyncratic Pope Francis"
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
Thanks to a recent post on this board by Dave Benke, I have been reading "The Catholic Thing." It is a daily mailing of provocative essays and blog posts which I have, so far, found stimulating. Today's entry is relevant, I think, to us as Lutherans also.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2019/11/25/the-idiosyncratic-pope-francis/

I would quote a couple of the early paragraphs in the article to allow you to see if you fund it intriguing:

"What do we make, then, of Pope Francisís constant insistence, recently repeated here, and in his conversation with the bishops of Japan this past Saturday that in an evangelical encounter with those who do not know Christ we must witness to Christ but ďnot with convictions, not to convince [or persuade], [and] not to proselytize.

I have always found this claim idiosyncratic, not to say inconsistent with the Catholic traditionís emphasis on the interdependency of faith and reason (from Leo XIIIís 1879 encyclical Aeterni Patris to John Paul IIís 1998 encyclical Fides et Ratio). Inexplicably, Francis thinks that evangelical witness excludes not only the power of persuasion, reason, and arguments, but also claiming that one asserts, affirms, and holds certain beliefs to be true."

I am still chewing on the content but, as I feel so many here to be my intellectual superiors, I would be interested in reactions from other readers.

Donna

A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: "The Idiosyncratic Pope Francis"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
Thanks to a recent post on this board by Dave Benke, I have been reading "The Catholic Thing." It is a daily mailing of provocative essays and blog posts which I have, so far, found stimulating. Today's entry is relevant, I think, to us as Lutherans also.

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2019/11/25/the-idiosyncratic-pope-francis/

I would quote a couple of the early paragraphs in the article to allow you to see if you fund it intriguing:

"What do we make, then, of Pope Francisís constant insistence, recently repeated here, and in his conversation with the bishops of Japan this past Saturday that in an evangelical encounter with those who do not know Christ we must witness to Christ but ďnot with convictions, not to convince [or persuade], [and] not to proselytize.

I have always found this claim idiosyncratic, not to say inconsistent with the Catholic traditionís emphasis on the interdependency of faith and reason (from Leo XIIIís 1879 encyclical Aeterni Patris to John Paul IIís 1998 encyclical Fides et Ratio). Inexplicably, Francis thinks that evangelical witness excludes not only the power of persuasion, reason, and arguments, but also claiming that one asserts, affirms, and holds certain beliefs to be true."

I am still chewing on the content but, as I feel so many here to be my intellectual superiors, I would be interested in reactions from other readers.

Donna
I'll defer to the intellectual superiors, but my first take would be that he wants to emphasize von Balthasar's "love alone is credible" idea. But since Christians are called to love everyone anyway, this seems like taking the "good news" out of the evangelism task.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
Maybe it's not "either/or". To put it another way, couldn't it be the "What's first, the chicken or the egg?" dilemma. It seems to me possible that one can walk with the church (Body of Christ) and not know or care about the doctrines we believe. (That assumes that she does not attack them, of course.) We are not all "cognitive" people. Lutherans have a rich history of cognitive content, perhaps the richest history in Christendom but that is not the only notable contribution activity we have made. Think music. Think our social service legacy (LWR, largest NGO complex in America.    :)

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:57:29 AM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
Nobody has ever accused Pope Francis of being an elite theologian   Pope John Paul and Pope Benedict
who preceded him had more theological acumen.  Pope Francis is more of a man who wants to make
social change in our society. He will be 83 years old next month as he strives to be relevant in the
21st century.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
We have a saying, "Actions speak louder than words." I think it applies to evangelism.

A saying attributed to St. Francis: "Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary use words."

Jesus talked about having our light shine (which referred to good works which could be seen by others) and bearing fruit.

"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
We have a saying, "Actions speak louder than words." I think it applies to evangelism.

A saying attributed to St. Francis: "Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary use words."

Jesus talked about having our light shine (which referred to good works which could be seen by others) and bearing fruit.

1) Absolutely no evidence St. Francis ever said this.

2) The Gospel cannot be preached without words to tell the story of Jesus and its significance. Deeds without words can at most inspire people to be nice.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

readselerttoo

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »

The only scriptural reference is Jesus' words to which were testified above from Matthew 5.  The others are non-scriptural and so can be ignored, imo.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

This would be the same saint who, according to testimony during his own lifetime, preached to birds.

Pax et bonum, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »

It's been attributed to him, but without any evidence that he actually said it.

2) The Gospel cannot be preached without words to tell the story of Jesus and its significance. Deeds without words can at most inspire people to be nice.

Too many Christians have been full of words, and negated them by not being nice.

Unfortunately, not-nice-ness and/or judgmentalism is often assumed by the not-yet-believers. This was pointed out by a speaker at some event I attended years ago (as I recall it). He had flown in from some distance. During his chat with his seat neighbor, he was asked, "What do you do?" "I'm a bishop." "What's a bishop?" He spent a little time answering. "So, you're a Christian?" "Yes. You seem surprised." "Yes, because you're not mean?"
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »

It's been attributed to him, but without any evidence that he actually said it.

Too many Christians have been full of words, and negated them by not being nice.

Unfortunately, not-nice-ness and/or judgmentalism is often assumed by the not-yet-believers. This was pointed out by a speaker at some event I attended years ago (as I recall it). He had flown in from some distance. During his chat with his seat neighbor, he was asked, "What do you do?" "I'm a bishop." "What's a bishop?" He spent a little time answering. "So, you're a Christian?" "Yes. You seem surprised." "Yes, because you're not mean?"

So, what difference does it make that it has been attributed to him if we both accept that there is no evidence that he actually wrote or said that. Repeating the almost certain false attribution lends absolutely no authority or weight to the saying. You could just as well attribute it to Joe Blow.

It is very true that our actions can detract from or negate our speaking of the Gospel. I have never denied or questioned that. It still remains that one needs words if one is going to preach the Gospel. Bad actions can detract from our Gospel presentation, but actions can never adequately substitute for words, no matter how good the actions. Or are you saying that our actions our works can adequately substitute for what Jesus did, so that we no longer need to point people to Jesus for salvation but simply show them our actions as adequate for salvation? Works righteousness?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
Note the boldface in 1 Peter 3

13 Who will harm you if you are zealous for good? 14 But happy are you, even if you suffer because of righteousness! Donít be terrified or upset by them. 15 Instead, regard Christ as holy in your hearts. Whenever anyone asks you to speak of your hope, be ready to defend it. 16 Yet do this with respectful humility, maintaining a good conscience. Act in this way so that those who malign your good lifestyle in Christ may be ashamed when they slander you. 17 It is better to suffer for doing good (if this could possibly be Godís will) than for doing evil. (CEB)

The boldface suggests that we are to live our lives in such a way that people ask us about it; then are are to be ready to speak the words of the Gospel.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 06:00:07 PM »

13 Who will harm you if you are zealous for good? 14 But happy are you, even if you suffer because of righteousness! Donít be terrified or upset by them. 15 Instead, regard Christ as holy in your hearts. Whenever anyone asks you to speak of your hope, be ready to defend it. 16 Yet do this with respectful humility, maintaining a good conscience. Act in this way so that those who malign your good lifestyle in Christ may be ashamed when they slander you. 17 It is better to suffer for doing good (if this could possibly be Godís will) than for doing evil. (CEB)

The boldface suggests that we are to live our lives in such a way that people ask us about it; then are are to be ready to speak the words of the Gospel.
Agree completely, but what does this have to do with affirming that using word is a less than optimal way to preach the Gospel?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »

Agree completely, but what does this have to do with affirming that using word is a less than optimal way to preach the Gospel?

The trustworthiness of our words is determined by our actions. Why do we remove clergy for misconduct? The words in their teaching and preaching could be spot-on; but when their lives lead people to distrust them - their good words become empty.

readselerttoo

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »

The trustworthiness of our words is determined by our actions. Why do we remove clergy for misconduct? The words in their teaching and preaching could be spot-on; but when their lives lead people to distrust them - their good words become empty.

Great.  Here is another reason to abandon justification by faith so that good works become the last word.  That is pure Calvinism.  Calvinism says that justification is only the secondary step to get the law done (read: good works).  Calvin posits that it is the law that must have the final word and the Gospel is only the stepping stone so that the law can get fulfilled.  Your good works thesis leads in that direction. 

What if we really have no insight into whether a work is good or not?  Maybe to our standard it looks good.  But does God agree with our standards of measurement? Is it your standard of measurement which has the last word, the deciding criteria; and, is God to be usurped here for human standards?  No.  God's criteria is the final word.  Death is that final word.  God brings it about.   Where are your good works now?  Huh? If good deeds are the final criteria why have Jesus and redemption at all?  Just do what is in you (facere quod in se).

BTW, facere quod in se was what Luther was against in most of his teaching about justification and forgiveness of sin.

In the end there are no good works from our side of things.  Good works are seen from God's view alone and we have no insight in this realm.  There is only forgiveness of sin. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:58:00 PM by George Rahn »

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 03:03:59 AM »

Great.  Here is another reason to abandon justification by faith so that good works become the last word.

Not the last word, but a strong biblical phrase. The command to do good works and examples of people doing good works are found often in scriptures.

Matthew 5:16 is a command to do good works from Jesus.

Matthew 26:10 and the parallel in Mark 14:6 has Jesus commending the woman for her good work (often translated "good service," though).

Romans 2:7 tells us to be persistent in good works.

2 Corinthians 9:8 tells us to do good works

Ephesians 2:10 is clear that we have been saved for good works.

Colossians 1:10 talks about bearing fruit in every good work.

2 Thessalonians 2:17 expects good work and words from us.

1 Timothy 2:10 tells women to do good works; 5:10 tells widows to do good works; 5:25 declares that the good works we do cannot be hidden; 6:18 tells the rich to do good works.

2 Timothy talks about good works in 2:21 and 3:17.

Titus talks about good works in 2:7, 14; 3:1, 8, 14.

We are to provoke one another to good works in Hebrews 10:24.

Scriptures are not as fearful to talk about good works as you are.

That is pure Calvinism.  Calvinism says that justification is only the secondary step to get the law done (read: good works).  Calvin posits that it is the law that must have the final word and the Gospel is only the stepping stone so that the law can get fulfilled.  Your good works thesis leads in that direction. 

I have not promoted anything like Calvin's thoughts. Rather, we who are saved by Jesus Christ are to live in such a way that we witness to the salvation we have received. We should act in such a way that people will ask us about the hope that is in us. The Holy Spirit within us is the power of light that must naturally shine out - unless we try and hide it.

If good deeds are the final criteria why have Jesus and redemption at all?  Just do what is in you (facere quod in se).

Who has ever said in this discussion that deeds are the final criteria? Throughout their lives, we have wanted our children to do good. However, whether they did good or not had no bearing on their relation to us as our children.

In the end there are no good works from our side of things.  Good works are seen from God's view alone and we have no insight in this realm.  There is only forgiveness of sin.

Just as our confessions state that we can achieve a measure of civil righteousness; so, I believe, we can and should seek to achieve a measure of works that others consider good and avoid those that are considered evil. We can do that. We can grow in that. I believe that God expects that from us just as parents expect their children to do good, be kind to others, etc. However, their actions have nothing to do with the children being our children. Our deeds have nothing to do with God being our Father through the grace given in baptism.