Author Topic: Church Politics (Not Lutheran)  (Read 603 times)

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Church Politics (Not Lutheran)
« on: November 23, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
A friend in Australia sent me this:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/editorial-failed-leadership-us-bishops-clear?clickSource=email

And here I thought that we Lutherans had the corner on the church/secular political mix.   :)

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:30:30 AM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
Re: Church Politics (Not Lutheran)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
John- Interesting reading. But one must also keep in mind NCR's  agenda. I don't necessarily read The Christian News if I want to discern what is happening in the LCMS.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
John- Interesting reading. But one must also keep in mind NCR's  agenda. I don't necessarily read The Christian News if I want to discern what is happening in the LCMS.

And yet in antipodal parallel, the Christian News that arrived at my door recently unrequested, as always, lifted up the same hustle in reverse.  It's our "pope", Harrison, who finds resistance out in the hustings from the LCMS district presidents.  Of course, now that the publisher is dead, many of the articles are re-treads from the 1970s, so it may be that what I read was something from the 1990sin the wayback machine. 

That being said, Matt, I do receive, at my own request, a daily missive from "The Catholic Thing," which is I would say uniformly and often harshly critical of Pope Francis, from a more academic United States point of view.  I don't necessarily agree with those points of view, but they do reveal some significant tension inside Roman Catholicism.  Having just returned from a vacation that included a visit to St. Peter's (as we call it in Brooklyn, the other St. Peter's) and the Sistine Chapel, it seemed to me that Catholics in that part of the world as well as the global travelers arriving there are far happier with Pope Francis than some of those represented in the US Catholic papers.

Dave Benke

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
Reading the quote from Gaudete et Exsultate, it is very difficult to find fault or disagree. But the document and the article seems to present a situation of choice where one needs to move away from these essential RC teachings on abortion and homosexuality to embrace other important issues of justice. 

Perhaps +John Cardinal O'Connor offers us a middle ground.  Cardinal O'Connor certainty taught Roman Catholic doctrine on the sanctity of life (at both ends of life) and on homosexual relationships.  He butted heads more than a few times with Mayor Koch on the latter issue.  Yet he never excluded those who may have had an abortion or who were active in a homosexual lifestyle - he was welcoming while, at the same time, held to his RC teachings.   During the HIV/AIDS epidemic the homosexual community saw a disproportionate of risk [of disease], Cardinal O'Connor opened a wing of what was St. Claire's hospital in NYC to treat HIV/AIDS patients; moreover, he volunteered there doing what might seem to some the menial tasks - washing and feeding the patients.  He practiced care of the poor and afflicted while still keeping to the teachings of his church.  His actions spoke to God's love - not human judgment.   

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
The Catholic Church and some bishops have done and are doing some good things, but as a whole the US conference of Catholic bishops long ago lost its moral sway over Catholics in our land. Maybe it was a disastrous birth control policy. Maybe it was a failure to address the changes in society in the 1960s and 1970s. Certainly it was the priest pedophilia cover-up.
I haven’t been to a meeting of the national conference of Catholic bishops for many years, but when I went what I felt I was seeing was a room full of weak leaders, fearful of changing one word in the liturgy without sweating about what Rome might think and pushed around by some strong voices only concerned about their sinecures.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.