Author Topic: Autobiographical theology  (Read 8569 times)

Michael_Rothaar

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Married to Linda in 1970. Ordained in TALC in 1971
    • View Profile
Re: Autobiographical theology
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
Was "Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart" (LBW #325) retained in Evangelical Lutheran Worship?

Quote from: Rev. Paul T. McCain
I have no idea, we'll have to let one of our ELCA forum members answer that one. I would be surprised if it was not, since it is such a beloved hymn, particular in ministry to the families of the dead in Christ and to the dying.

Yup. Didn't even muck up the words (no "to Sarah's bosom bear me home" or anything).

I'm curious, Richard (and others of us in the ELCA). Is this -- ELW 750 -- a hymn that's familiar and used with with some frequency in the congregations you've served? It seems to me to be one of those period-of-lutheran-orthodoxy numbers that lacked staying power through pietism and scandinavianization. I'm pretty sure I've never, ever, had it requested, as Pastor McCain suggested, for a funeral.

Yesterday -- be alert to the boast that is coming, and is really the reason for my writing -- I had the privilege and joy of being part of another congregation for the joyous occasion of the baptism of our first Grandchild, Annaliese Joy Rothaar.

About the only thing that caught me off guard in this trendy-neighborhood Chicago ELCA congregation was the choice as Hymn of the Day of ELW 746 (the first 4 stanzas only) - Luther's "Vater Unser." It was, of course, an appropriate congregational proclamation of the Gospel, and the pastor's sermon also centered on the Lord's Prayer. But, frankly, it would never occur to me to select this hymn for our congregation to sing. Not so much because they can't learn it, but because expressed taste preferences are so different.

Funny thing. My other two adult children -- although neither found "Our Father, God in Heaven" a particularly winsome hymn -- expressed pleasure in how traditional the music used in the liturgy was. And the congregation -- reasonably attended for a warm summer morning -- was mostly folks under 35, with kids. So I'm rethinking my attitudes toward music. Again.
Mike Rothaar
Retired from roster of active ELCA pastors 01 Jul 2012.
Mind and Spirit still working.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
My daughter, 35, ducks the "contemporary" service at her church in favor of the "traditional" LBW liturgy and worries a bit that they fiddle with that too much. Love my kid!

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »

I'm curious, Richard (and others of us in the ELCA). Is this -- ELW 750 -- a hymn that's familiar and used with with some frequency in the congregations you've served? It seems to me to be one of those period-of-lutheran-orthodoxy numbers that lacked staying power through pietism and scandinavianization. I'm pretty sure I've never, ever, had it requested, as Pastor McCain suggested, for a funeral.

I suspect in my congregation we could sing it and it would be familiar to perhaps 25%. Our choir has sung it as an anthem. I sang the final verse at my father-in-law's interment (sort of spontaneously). I think it is in some sense a "period piece" but still a magnificent one. I'll probably request it for my own funeral, along with the twenty or thirty other hymns I have in mind for them to sing.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

ptmccain

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2007, 07:30:45 PM »
The final verse has been a part of the rite of commendation of the dying for a number of years in our Synod.

It is also the closing chorale in the St. John Passion.

Mel Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

I'll probably request it for my own funeral, along with the twenty or thirty other hymns I have in mind for them to sing.

If there will be thirty hymns in the Service for the Burial of our Beloved Moderator, will someone please remind me to bring a lunch.

Mel Harris

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »

I'll probably request it for my own funeral, along with the twenty or thirty other hymns I have in mind for them to sing.

If there will be thirty hymns in the Service for the Burial of our Beloved Moderator, will someone please remind me to bring a lunch.

Mel Harris

Oh, lunch will be served. Already have the wines selected.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »
Careful Richard. If you talk it up too much a line will start to form the first time you catch cold.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Will the new fellowship hall be finished by then?
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »
Will the new fellowship hall be finished by then?

Oh, we just won't schedule it until it's finished.