Author Topic: Service of Sending for College Students  (Read 821 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Service of Sending for College Students
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
We will again soon be having our service of sending for those leaving the area to attend colleges and other institutions of higher learning.  I am wondering if any of you here would have resources/orders you have used that you would be willing to share.  Thanks.

peterm

• View Profile
Re: Service of Sending for College Students
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Our occasional service book has an order of Farewell and Godspeed with specific prayers for those going off to school.  We also present those going to college with a quilt.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
Our occasional service book has an order of Farewell and Godspeed with specific prayers for those going off to school.  We also present those going to college with a quilt.

Thank you.  That is kind of what I have: a modification of the Farewell and Godspeed to members leaving the church, to make it fit these students (who, God willing, will be back at various times through the coming years).  Good to know that I am not totally off beam. 

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »
nope not off beam at all.  I have found the service helpful in marking this passage of life; both for the parents and the students.  Everyone seems to appreciate the continued  connection with the "Home Place."
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

George Erdner

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
What about those student parishioners who are going off to the military, or trade schools*? Don't soldiers, sailors, airmen, or welders need prayers, too?

*Unless you meant to include trade schools as "institutions of higher learning". Too many people do not.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
What about those student parishioners who are going off to the military, or trade schools*? Don't soldiers, sailors, airmen, or welders need prayers, too?

*Unless you meant to include trade schools as "institutions of higher learning". Too many people do not.

We do not have any parishioners who are leaving for the military (but if/when we do, you are right that we SHOULD do something for them too!).  We include trade schools in the "institutions of higher learning".

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
A related issue is assisting the students in finding spiritual life/worship opportunities at the school or in the community near the school/university.  That can present challenges.  One of our young men is heading to college in a little town upstate where there are no Lutheran churches of any stripe within 15 miles.  And we had a long conversation at his behest about his spiritual progress and how he wants to keep that light lit in his college days.  Plus, he'll be in a 95% Anglo area and he's not.  And he doesn't have a car.

We're doing live streaming now so there is that option, but I think depending on the school and community, there are more or even far less options available for students in those formative years.

Dave Benke

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
A related issue is assisting the students in finding spiritual life/worship opportunities at the school or in the community near the school/university.  That can present challenges.  One of our young men is heading to college in a little town upstate where there are no Lutheran churches of any stripe within 15 miles.  And we had a long conversation at his behest about his spiritual progress and how he wants to keep that light lit in his college days.  Plus, he'll be in a 95% Anglo area and he's not.  And he doesn't have a car.

We're doing live streaming now so there is that option, but I think depending on the school and community, there are more or even far less options available for students in those formative years.

Dave Benke

I would have him check out to see if there is a chapter of Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship on the campus. My experience with them at various colleges in the Boston area, and in speaking to students at other colleges throughout the country, has been very positive. They respect various theological traditions yet help students navigate their way in the college setting.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »

Dave Benke

Thanks!

Dave Benke

I would have him check out to see if there is a chapter of Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship on the campus. My experience with them at various colleges in the Boston area, and in speaking to students at other colleges throughout the country, has been very positive. They respect various theological traditions yet help students navigate their way in the college setting.

mj4

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »

Dave Benke

I agree. Inter-Varsity is probably your best option. Also give him a copy of the LSB and teach him to read the Daily Office. Perhaps practice with him before he leaves. Keep it simple.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »
CPH offers Portals of Prayer and the Treasuey of Daily Prayer as apps for Android and iPhone. (Treasury app is called PrayNow)
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS