Author Topic: Report of redone first ballot: Eaton elected, 81%  (Read 949 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Report of redone first ballot: Eaton elected, 81%
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
Now the ballot report, and the result is the same but more so

897 votes cast, 893 valid, 4 invalid
Required 670

Eaton 725 (81.19%)

They didn't leave the full results up long enough to copy them, but it looked like most of the one votes migrated to Eaton this time. Full report as soon as I get it. Lengthy and enthusiastic standing ovation when the result is announced. Gracious response.

Here's the rest:
Eaton 725
Rinehart 26
Gafkjen 14
Erwin 9
Malpica-Padilla 8
Schmeling 7
Bullock 5
Davenport 5
Svennungsen 5
Dunlop 4
Anderson 3
El-Yahteem 3
Erickson 3
Gohl 3
Lynn 3
Narum 3
Suarez 3
Boerger 2
Burk 2
Curry 2
Gordy 2
Jaech 2
Koesterman 2
Lull 2
Maas 2
Rhyne 2
Satterlee 2
Thomas Breitfeld 2
Wells 2
Zeiser 2
One vote: Aitken, Allende, Barbins, Beaudoin, Becklin, Boggs, Burkat, Chaney, Drebes, Fidlar, Foster, Gerken-Nelson, Goria, Graham, Hanson, Herr, Huebner, Johnson, Kuempel, Lake, Larson, Linstrom, Mansholt, Opoien Peterson, Powll, Reuer-Welton, Riegel, Schaefer, Schofield, Skow-Anderson, Smith, Starr, Tesch, Timm, Ulgenes, Bryan Wee, Zellmer.

Now the presentation of the "Declaration of the ELCA to People of Africa Descent," a document approved by the church council in June. It's essentially an apology for slavery and racism. I don't think the Assembly has to act on this, I think it's just being presented. The statement could have used some better editing. It begins, for example: "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America apologizes to people of African descent for its historical complicity in slavery and its enduring legacy of racism in the United States and globally." A freshman English teacher would point out that it isn't clear whether the antecedent of the second "its" is the ELCA or slavery. He or she might also point out that the ELCA itself never was complicit in slavery.

Lots of emotional speaking about this apology from the crowd on the stage. The piece that has been handed out contains the one page statement and then seven pages of "explanation." This was a result of a call by the African Descent Lutheran Association in 2015 to "draft a formal letter of repentance," to commit to examine the church's complicity in slavery, and to acknowledge the ELCA's "perpetuation of racism."  Pr. Wells, the head of this organization (I think), is speaking, and he refers to Viviane Thomas Breitfeld, the first woman of color elected bishop, saying "they can't change history and you have our full support." (Most of the members, I imagine, don't know what he's talking about.) Standing ovation.

The assembly stands and sings "Lift Every Voice and Sing." Then announcements. We're now 25 minutes late for worship.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:20:40 PM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Report of redone first ballot: Eaton elected, 81%
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
If that Wisconsin Bishop has resigned, can she still be a voting member of the assembly? And there has to be a reason for the resignation.I know another former reporter who is ia voting member of the assembly. Maybe Iíll ask for a little investigation.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
I don't know that she's voting. Lots of people present reports who aren't voting.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Now the ballot report, and the result is the same but more so

897 votes cast, 893 valid, 4 invalid
Required 670

Eaton 725 (81.19%)

They didn't leave the full results up long enough to copy them, but it looked like most of the one votes migrated to Eaton this time. Full report as soon as I get it. Lengthy and enthusiastic standing ovation when the result is announced. Gracious response.

Here's the rest:
Eaton 725
Rinehart 26
Gafkjen 14
Erwin 9
Malpica-Padilla 8
Schmeling 7
Bullock 5
Davenport 5
Svennungsen 5
Dunlop 4
Anderson 3
El-Yahteem 3
Erickson 3
Gohl 3
Lynn 3
Narum 3
Suarez 3
Boerger 2
Burk 2
Curry 2
Gordy 2
Jaech 2
Koesterman 2
Lull 2
Maas 2
Rhyne 2
Satterlee 2
Thomas Breitfeld 2
Wells 2
Zeiser 2
One vote: Aitken, Allende, Barbins, Beaudoin, Becklin, Boggs, Burkat, Chaney, Drebes, Fidlar, Foster, Gerken-Nelson, Goria, Graham, Hanson, Herr, Huebner, Johnson, Kuempel, Lake, Larson, Linstrom, Mansholt, Opoien Peterson, Powll, Reuer-Welton, Riegel, Schaefer, Schofield, Skow-Anderson, Smith, Starr, Tesch, Timm, Ulgenes, Bryan Wee, Zellmer.

I'm relieved for all involved that this election was not close and never was going to be close.  If the first ballot had been close or contentious, the Secretary's mistake would have undermined at least a little the election result and haunted the winner going forward.  Thankfully, the integrity of this overwhelming result will not suffer.