Author Topic: Bishop Eaton elected [be sure to see "oops"]  (Read 3395 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Bishop Eaton elected [be sure to see "oops"]
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:31:58 AM »
Bishop Eaton has been elected to a second term as presiding bishop. 77+% on first ballot. Details in a bit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:15:12 AM by Richard Johnson »
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

DCharlton

• View Profile
Re: Bishop Eaton elected
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »
Bishop Eaton has been elected to a second term as presiding bishop. 77+% on first ballot. Details in a bit.

Wow.  Its not even 8:00 where I am.  That's quick.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »
She has done a good job, and no one dislikes her. Her predecessor also did a good job, but a lot of people didn’t like him.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »
Here's the count:
Eaton  695
Michael Rinehart  20
William Gafkjen  14
Guy Erwin 8
 Rafael Malpica Padilla 8
Wyvetta Bullock  6
Bradley Schmeling  6
Patricia Davenport 5
William Gohl  5
Jon Anderson 4
James Dunlop 4
Paul Erickson 4
Patricia Lull 4
Michael Burk 3
Ruben Duran 3
Khader El-Yateem  3
Mark Hanson 3 !
Stephen Herr 3
Richard Jorgensen 3
Brian Maas 3
Ann Svennungsen  3
Lamont Wells 3
David Zellmer 3
Abraham Allende 2
Tracie Bartholomew 2
Yehiel Curry 2
Amanda Gerken-Nelson 2
James Gonia 2
James Hazelwood 2
Louise Johnson 2
Ralph Jones 2
Sue Doesterman 2
Tara Lynn 2
Mark Narum 2
Matthew Riegel 2
Craig Satterlee 2
Tim Smith 2
Pedro Suarez 2
Heidi Torgerson 2
Andrew Tucker 2
Those with one vote: Thomas Aitken, Rick Bair, Laura Barbins, Daiel Beaudoin, Matthew Best, Chris Boerger, Terry Boggs, Sue Briner, Claire Burkalt, Kelly Chatman, Jessica Crist, Amandus Derr, David Drebres, Stacie Fidlar, Katherine Finegan, Katrina Foster, Julian Gordy, Richard Graham, Erik Gronberg, Rick Jaech, Steve Jerbi, Wilma Kucharek, Kristen Kuempel, Robert Linstrom, David Lose, Gerald Manhold, Mark Allan Powell, Wayne Miller, Jen Negal, Candis O'Meara, Tom Opolen, Laurie O'Shea, Elizabeth Planzke, Robert Rasmus, Kate Reuer-Walton, Robert Schaefer, Laurie Skow-Anderson, Brenda Smith, Albert Starr, Robin Steinke, David Strommen, Bill Tesch, Jeff Thiemann, Viviane Thoms-Breitfeld, Chrysanne Timm, April Ulring Larson, Erika Uthe, Samuel Zeiser, Casey Zesch.

Many of those who received more than one or two votes are current or former synod bishops. Most of the one vote people are completely unknown to me, though one interesting one is Viviane Thomas-Breitfeld. She's the bishop of the South Central Synod of Wisconsin. A couple of weeks ago it was announced that she was found "unable to serve" by her synod council, and then a couple of days ago it was announced that she has resigned. There are some angry comments on Facebook that suggest she has been "forced out" because she is a woman of color. The synod has not been very transparent about reasons for this action; when this procedure has happened before, it has generally been because of some kind of misconduct, but it could also be invoked for health reasons of some kind. Anyway, it is odd that she received one vote for PB.

The big story, of course, is that Bp. Eaton was rather easily elected to a second term on the first ballot--something Mark Hanson did not manage to achieve (I can't recall about Chilstrom).

evangelical catholic

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Eaton elected [be sure to see "oops"]
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »
Adiaphoron:
But why doesn't Elizabeth don a mitre like several synod bishops do? 

Photo from Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Synod http://metrodcelca.org/

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
Why doesn’t the presiding bishop wear a miter?
Because it is uncomfortable?
Because it looks silly?
Because of all liturgical garb, it is the most ridiculous, except for the now-abandoned papal triple crown?
Because to wear it properly, it means you have to remove it several times during the liturgical rite, which means you need to have A deacon come over, flip up the lappets hanging down in back, and lift the miter off your head? And repeat that ceremony in reverse, carefully tending the lappets,  when it is time to don it again?
And Because some among us - though not this humble correspondent- are still muttering under their breath when they see a cope?

Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

evangelical catholic

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
Thanks Pastor Austin

And yes the mitre does look like a dunce hat!  My sense is that much of the liturgical garb was initially meant to keep the clergy warm in those freezing medieval churches centuries ago. But I have noticed the increasing use of catholic vestments among Lutherans. I recall the first time my childhood parish pastor began wearing a chasuble. Now copes are common and my synod bishop wears the mitre frequently.  It is interesting that bishops in the Church of Norway did not wear mitres but I don't know why exactly.

Is your bishop in this photo?   

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
Forgive me if I've told this story before, but once upon a time in an earlier life I was being talked about as a candidate for bishop in our synod, and was invited to spend a morning with a pretty low church group of pastors down in the San Joaquin Valley. We had a productive chat, and as lunch was coming to an end, one of them said, "I just have one more question. If you're elected bishop, are you going to wear one of those funny hats?" "Mitre might not," I replied.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
Evangelical catholic writes:
But I have noticed the increasing use of catholic vestments among Lutherans. I recall the first time my childhood parish pastor began wearing a chasuble. Now copes are common and my synod bishop wears the mitre frequently. 

I comment:
What you notice, is not new. Among some Lutherans, including some distinguished members of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, “catholic vestments” were quite common more than 50 years ago.
I was ordained 52 years ago, and numerous members of my class were giving up the cassock, surplice  and stole usually worn by our pastors for alb, stole and chasuble. Beloved Spouse made two chasubles for me from Almy kits in 1969.
I believe the first contemporary American Lutheran bishop to don a miter was the late Cyril Wismer of the AELC, And I think he took quite a lot of heat for it

evangelical catholic

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
Exactly Pastor Austin

Chasubles were de rigueur around 1970 among LCMS in California especially urban parishes. More importantly, weekly eucharist was also the norm. As a seminarian in Brooklyn, Mass was celebrated daily in several Missouri Snnod parishes as well as Concordia-Fort Wayne and St Louis seminary. 

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »
For any who are interested, a good monograph on this topic is:
Piepkorn, Arthur Carl. The Survival of the Historic Vestments in the Lutheran Church After 1555.  Graduate Study Number 1. St. Louis: School of Graduate Studies, Concordia Seminary, 1956.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

RayToy

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 07:59:25 AM »
Adiaphoron:

The pastor of St. Peter's-Fredericksburg, VA was previously in Ohio, and knows Bp. Eaton.  Apparently she has said that although she understands and sympathizes with the idea, she is so short that when she wears a miter, she looks like a garden gnome.

Thanks,
Ray

Deacon Raymond Toy, OSSD

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
+Rev. Dr. Berthold von Schenk wore a mitre at least back to the late 1950's along with other liturgical vestments such as a chasuble. 

evangelical catholic

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
Adiaphoron:

The pastor of St. Peter's-Fredericksburg, VA was previously in Ohio, and knows Bp. Eaton.  Apparently she has said that although she understands and sympathizes with the idea, she is so short that when she wears a miter, she looks like a garden gnome.

Thanks,
Ray

;) 

evangelical catholic

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
+Rev. Dr. Berthold von Schenk wore a mitre at least back to the late 1950's along with other liturgical vestments such as a chasuble.

Eileen, you may mean "biretta".  BTW, I visited Our Saviour Church/ School many years ago when von Schenk's son was the pastor. Among several other seminarians, we each received autographed copies of 'The Presence' 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:57:46 PM by evangelical catholic »