Author Topic: Tuesday Afternoon  (Read 11330 times)

prsauer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Tuesday Afternoon
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:47:03 PM »
And after an abbreviated Lunch we are back for elections.

Given what has gone before us, I debated taking the afternoon off, posting the united list, and then heading to the beach with my family. But out of sheer dedication I am here just in case...

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - National Mission elections
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
Ok Truth be told - there are thunderstorms in the area so a beach visit was out of the question anyway and I am told the camper gets crowded with my oversized ego in there - or so my 13 year old says.

Unless otherwise noted the victor is a "united list endorsed candidate"  - theunitedlist.org

Central National Mission - Central - commissioned/ordianed

Milas wins with 55%

Great Lakes- National Mission  Commissioned/ordained
Bender 55%

Announcement of a mistake that Ted Lams should be on the commissioned not ordained for Ft. Wayne. He was the united list floor nomination so it should effect his election chances.

West/Southwest National Mission -Ordained or commissioned
Espinoza - 65%

East/southeast National Mission - lay
McDaniels - 60.2% upsets the united list candidate Techau

Great Plains National Mission - lay
Claussen - 72%

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - International Mission
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
East Southeast Ordained/commissioned International Mission
Rojas 58%
Former Southeastern District President Diefenthaller continues the trend of former DPs not faring well with a distant third @ 15%

Great Plains Ordained/commissioned International Mission
Seter - 50.9

Central Region Lay International Mission
Bruss - 56%

Great Lakes Lay International Mission
Voss - 55%

West Southwest Lay International Mission
Lung - 83%

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
Re: Tuesday Afternoon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
Two questions.  I'm comparing the Twitter feed for some of this.
1. Why are there only like 900 total votes in most of these?  Are over half the delegates missing?
2. Is Male/Female an important distinction?  The only noted United List candidate that lost (and convincingly) was a male (Paul) up against a female (Janis), unless I'm reading names wrong?

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - CTCR Elections
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:20:01 PM »
So, despite his significant work and his occasional visit to ALPB headquarters (to gain a measure of sanity?) I have been misspelling Secretary Sias name as Secretary Silas. He has been too kind to correct me. I will go back and fix the posts as time allows. Not sure where Charles was on that one...

CTCR Ordained - Round 1
Dargatz 39
Blanke 25
Rueger 20
Dorn 14

CTCR Ordained - Round 2
Blanke 30
Dargatz 49
Rueger 20

CTCR Ordained - Round 3
Blanke 38
Dargatz 62
Dargatz Elected

CTCR Lay - Round 1 (here both Pitkus and Heidenreich are united list recommended)
Heidenreich 30
Kym 20
Pitkus 36
Tresch 13

CTCR Lay- Round 2
Heidenreich 44
Kym 32
Pitkus 28

CTCR Lay - Round 3
Heidenreich 43
Pitkus 57
Pitkus elected

prsauer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
1. Why are there only like 900 total votes in most of these?  Are over half the delegates missing?
2. Is Male/Female an important distinction?  The only noted United List candidate that lost (and convincingly) was a male (Paul) up against a female (Janis), unless I'm reading names wrong?

Not sure about the numbers we should be just over 1000 for voting delegates. The seating looks relatively full. The Tampa Convention Hall is beautiful but there aren't a lot of real good food options in the surrounding area. There are also other meetings/rso luncheons that take place so not everyone may be here yet.

Not sure about your point 2
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:31:35 PM by prsauer »

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - CHI
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »
CHI Ordained.

We elect 2, one at a time
Rothemeyer is elected on ballot 2 for the first ordained position
Benkendorf is elected on ballot 2 for the second ordained position

CHI Lay
Graumann 51% united list candidate Millar is not elected.

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - CHI
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
CHI Ordained.

We elect 2, one at a time
Rothemeyer is elected on ballot 2 for the first ordained position
Benkendorf is elected on ballot 2 for the second ordained position

CHI Lay
Graumann 51% united list candidate Millar is not elected.

Graumann - Kathy.  A second non-united list candidate elected.  Also a woman.

When you are voting on people you don't know in any way, and you are dependent upon a list.  Sometimes portions of your support might just say, "you know, we need more of this".

Pr. Luke Zimmerman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • 2 Timothy 3:14-15
    • View Profile
    • Minister of Mechanicsburg
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »

Question 2 is one that I've thought of on occasion. Thinking back on elections over the past three District Conventions, I've noticed that female candidates tend to have a better winning percentage than male candidates. This was particularly noticeable in elections with no incumbents.

Anecdotal evidence related by some delegates that I've spoken to is that they showed a bias toward female candidates in elections where the option was open. Given that all ordained seats in LCMS elections can be held only by men, this was seen as a way of adding other perspectives to governing boards.

How true that might be for delegates and how many delegates are thinking that way, I don't know. But that thought has been expressed. Looking at the results of Tuesday afternoon voting, it may be that some others  across the Synod may hold to that idea. The Graumann/Millar election to the CHI Board, that may be one where this was a factor.

That said, I don't know how much that played into the McDaniels/Techau election on the National Board for Mission. I know both of them well and believe both were highly qualified for that office: Janis was a member of my vicarage congregation and I've served on an RSO Board involved with urban missions with Paul. Janis has served in multiple LWML leadership capacities, which probably made her a bit more well known and definitely showed mission credentials.
Pr. Luke Zimmerman
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Mechanicsburg, PA

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »

There are only 1,100-1,200 delegates, not 2,000.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Jim Butler

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - CTCR Elections
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 02:46:59 PM »

CTCR Lay - Round 3
Heidenreich 43
Pitkus 57
Pitkus elected

Andrea Pitkus was in my first-ever confirmation class. One of her criteria in choosing a college was which one had an LCMS church close enough for her to walk to on her own. I think this will be her last term on CTCR. I've been very proud of her service.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - CPH Lay
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
So there are 8 people for 4 positions, which means that there we are going to be working through this for a while I am only going to post the final results.

Not sure how anyone would know who to vote for on these lay positions without the lists. As one who has interviewed numerous people over the course of my 19 years running a church and school, I can emphatically affirm that resumes and academic qualifications only tell part of the story. What is probably needed in the LCMS is not a removal of the United List, but rather for alternative groups to do a better job of getting their candidate slates together and publicized.  Or as Peter Speckhard has suggested just start casting lots:

Abegg - second elected (She is from East Regional VP Esget's church which may explain her election)
Cornett
Egger (U) - first elected
Halvorson (U) - third elected
Hill (U)
Mulso
Olson (U) - fourth elected
Warneke

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Afternoon - Partner Churches
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
CTCR Chairman Lehenbauer welcomes leaders from partner churches

Lutheran Church Canada
Evangelical Lutheran Free Church Denmark
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Gahna
Lutheran Church of Guatamala
India Evangelical Lutheran Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Kenya
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia
Gutnius (Good News) Lutheran Church (Papua New Guinea)
Portuguese Evangelical Lutheran Church
Siberian Evangelical Lutheran Church
Lutheran Church of Southern Africa
Lutheran Church in Venezuela

Other Church Body Leaders and Special Guests:
Lutheran Church of Australia
Lutheran Church in Africa - Burundi Synod
Ethiopian Evangelical Lutheran Church - Makana Yesu
Evangelical Lutheran Mission Diocese of Finland
Malagasi Lutheran Church (Madagascar)
Evangelical Lutheran Diocese of Norway
Confessional Lutheran Church of South Africa
Lutheran Church of South Sudan
Mission Provence in Sweden
Lutheran Church of the Republic of China (Taiwan)
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania
Lutheran Church of Uganda
Evangelical Lutheran Synod
North American Lutheran Church (Bishop Bradosky and David Wendell are both here)
Wisconsin Synod

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but on some of these elections in 2013, there were five us in a row who had gotten to know each other, and when it was time to vote, we'd make comments that we knew a certain person, or that a candidate had dated the sister of my freshman year roommate.  And then we'd vote for that person because there was now 32 degrees of separation or something like that.  It made elecctions a little more interesting. 

And if I get blackballed from being a delegate at any future conventions, well, I accept the consequences of my actions. 

Jeremy 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but on some of these elections in 2013, there were five us in a row who had gotten to know each other, and when it was time to vote, we'd make comments that we knew a certain person, or that a candidate had dated the sister of my freshman year roommate.  And then we'd vote for that person because there was now 32 degrees of separation or something like that.  It made elecctions a little more interesting. 

And if I get blackballed from being a delegate at any future conventions, well, I accept the consequences of my actions. 

Jeremy

I was a delegate in 2016.  Oops. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.