Author Topic: ACNA offers the Book of Common Prayer 2019  (Read 787 times)

mj4

ACNA offers the Book of Common Prayer 2019
« on: July 05, 2019, 04:08:09 PM »
The ACNA has published a new BCP. I find two points particularly interesting. First, I understand that it may lean a bit more on the Protestant side of Anglicanism. Perhaps some of you have an opinion about that. Secondly, I understand that the Psalter is an updated version of the Coverdale Psalter. Apparently the CoE commissioned C.S. Lewis and T.S. Eliot to do the update, but their work never made it into a CoE prayer book. This new book employs that version. So, probably different from the ELW version. 

http://bcp2019.anglicanchurch.net/

http://bcp2019.anglicanmarriage.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/bcp2019-psalter.pdf

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
Re: ACNA offers the Book of Common Prayer 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »
If you check the permissions, they look to be very helpfully and thankfully broad for parish use.
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
The ACNA has published a new BCP. I find two points particularly interesting. First, I understand that it may lean a bit more on the Protestant side of Anglicanism. Perhaps some of you have an opinion about that.

That would not be surprising, given that a major component--roughly half--of the ACNA came from the Reformed Episcopal Church, a "low Church" tradition.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »
Hey, have a copy, this is no Prot book... a nice solid Bk of Common Prayer with basically the same content as others...  they did not rewrite the liturgy or the offices...
Harvey S. Mozolak

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 09:04:55 PM »
The ACNA has published a new BCP. I find two points particularly interesting. First, I understand that it may lean a bit more on the Protestant side of Anglicanism. Perhaps some of you have an opinion about that.

I don't have an opinion at this point.  But the Bishop of the (Anglo Catholic) Quincy Diocese has written that it will not be used for public worship within the Diocese, but they will continue to use the CofE's Common Worship.  The new BCP may be used for private devotions.

It is available for purchase here, where one can also read,

Quote from: Anglican Liturgy Press
At the beginning of the 21st century, global reassessment of the Book of Common Prayer of 1662 as “the standard for doctrine, discipline and worship” shapes the present volume, now presented on the bedrock of its predecessors. Among the timeless treasures offered in this Prayer Book is the Coverdale Psalter of 1535, renewed for contemporary use through efforts that included the labors of 20th century Anglicans T.S. Eliot and C.S. Lewis, and brought to final form here.

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:37:21 PM »
I don't have an opinion at this point.  But the Bishop of the (Anglo Catholic) Quincy Diocese has written that it will not be used for public worship within the Diocese, but they will continue to use the CofE's Common Worship.  The new BCP may be used for private devotions.

I studied Common Worship at Nashotah House in 2011 under a C of E precentor who served as a guest/visiting prof.  I was unaware, however, that it was being used regularly in this country.  Is it used only among the specifically Anglo-Catholic parishes within ACNA?
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 10:17:35 AM »
A quick glance at this new book suggests that the eucharistic liturgy is in many ways a sort of merging of the two rites in the Episcopal Church's BCP.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
Richard, everyone has to tinker and everyone has to have their own book.  Mea culpa... etiam.  (excuse the English punctuation; I will be doing my doctorate on "Latin Phrases Used in English Hymnody; Creating An Honorary Ending Punctuation Process")
Harvey S. Mozolak

mj4

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »
Hey, have a copy, this is no Prot book... a nice solid Bk of Common Prayer with basically the same content as others...  they did not rewrite the liturgy or the offices...

Just having the Thirty-nine Articles in it makes it too Protestant for some Anglo-Catholics. By the way, former Nashotah House Dean, Robert Munday has offered a followup explanation for why Quincy won't be using the new book. He explains that upon leaving the Episcopal Church but before joining the ACNA, Quincy moved over to Common Worship, and that it would be unfair to require congregations to make another change so soon. I suppose that seems reasonable, but also kicks the can down the lane a bit.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:35:09 PM by mj4 »