Author Topic: Presidents Of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis  (Read 33397 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Presidents Of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
« on: June 28, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
Ten men have served as President of Concordia Seminary, St Louis

Dr. C.F.W. Walther 1850-1887
Dr. Franz Pieper 1887-1931
Dr. Ludwig Fuerbringer 1931-1943
Dr. Louis Sieck 1943-1952
Dr. Alfred Fuerbringer 1953-1969
Dr. John Tietjen 1969-1974
Dr. Ralph Bohlmann 1975-1981
Dr. Karl Barth 1982-1990
Dr. John Johnson 1990-2004
Dr. Dale Meyer 2005-Present

Dr. Franz Pieper was the President when Concordia Seminary relocated to the Clayton campus in 1926.
Those 72 acres became the suburban home with excellent collegiate Gothic buildings for the seminarians.
In 1992 a free standing chapel was dedicated and became the focal point of the campus
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:18:26 PM by Dave Likeness »

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
Re: Presidents Of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
At the cornerstone ceremony in October of 1924, President Francis Pieper delivered his address in Latin.
It was carried over the first broadcast of Lutheran Radio Station KFUO.  A crowd of nearly 20,000 witnessed
the cornerstone laying at the Clayton campus.

The new campus was officially dedicated on June 13, 1926.  The ceremony was attended by more than 75,000
people from the United States and several foreign countries. Even the St.Louis Cardinals baseball team has
never had a crowd of 75,000 at one of their home games.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »
American President John Adams had a son who followed in his footsteps and also became
President, John Quincy Adams.   The same is true of President George H.W. Bush who  had
a son who also occupied the White House, President George W. Bush.

Concordia Seminary, St. Louis had a similar experience.  President Ludwig Fuerbringer had
a son who also became the President of Concordia Seminary, Dr. Alfred Fuerbringer.  In fact
it is interesting to see how different faculty members were related as father and son, or
brother-in-law and brother-in-law.   The LCMS tried hard to keep everything in the family.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »
If you are a graduate of Concordia Seminary, St Louis, then who was the President who signed your diploma?
Any personality traits of his that you would like to share with this forum?

For me personally, Dr. Alfred Fuerbringer signed my diploma.  I had no personal interaction with him during
my time on campus. He did not mingle with the seminarians and did not teach any classes during my time there.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:41:40 PM »
If you are a graduate of Concordia Seminary, St Louis, then who was the President who signed your diploma?
Any personality traits of his that you would like to share with this forum?

For me personally, Dr. Alfred Fuerbringer signed my diploma.  I had no personal interaction with him during
my time on campus. He did not mingle with the seminarians and did not teach any classes during my time there.

John Tietjen, originally from Corona, Queens, about four miles from where I live.

Dave Benke

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »
John Tietjen also signed my diploma.  John was around and available somewhat.  John always wore a black clergy shirt.  I do remember his sermon at my graduation.  He said that things in the LCMS were very difficult. We would be attacked and maligned.  We would be labeled and dismissed by others.  But he wisely said:  keep your eyes on the cross of Jesus Christ and you won't go wrong.  Churches are not saved by politics, but the cross of Christ. 

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »
John Tietjen also signed my diploma.  John was around and available somewhat.  John always wore a black clergy shirt.  I do remember his sermon at my graduation.  He said that things in the LCMS were very difficult. We would be attacked and maligned.  We would be labeled and dismissed by others.  But he wisely said:  keep your eyes on the cross of Jesus Christ and you won't go wrong.  Churches are not saved by politics, but the cross of Christ. 
What Tietjen said was prophetic and generally true, whether you joined him in his liberalism or opposed him as a conservative you were likely to be attacked and maligned.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
What Tietjen said was prophetic and generally true, whether you joined him in his liberalism or opposed him as a conservative you were likely to be attacked and maligned.

Also, he was right when he wisely said, "Keep your eyes on the cross of Jesus Christ and you won't go wrong.  Churches are not saved by politics, but the cross of Christ."   :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
Walther and Pieper combined to hold the Presidency of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
for 81 years.  That is some legacy along with the many theological books they wrote.
Even in the 21st century their combined influence on the LCMS cannot be underestimated.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:26:47 PM by Dave Likeness »

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
Walther and Pieper combined to hold the Presidency of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis
for 81 years.  That is some legacy along with the many theological books they wrote.
Even in the 21st century their combined influence on the LCMS cannot be underestimated.

David:

You are a credible source of LCMS history.  Might you know the names of the early CTCR chairmen?  What led to the creation of the CTCR?  The year?

Marie Meyer

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Marie:

The CTCR was established by the LCMS Convention in 1962.

In my humble opinion the Secretary of the CTCR is more important than the Chairman of the CTCR.

Dr. Ralph Bohlmann was appointed to the CTCR in 1965 and served as Secretary from 1967 to 1971.
He was commissioned by LCMS President Jack Preus to write  "A Statement of Scriptural and Confessional
Principles"  It was published in1971 and adopted by the 1973 LCMS Convention.

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
What led to the creation of the CTCR?  The year?
I am not Pastor Likeness, but hopefully I qualify as a credible source for helping find answers to these two questions.  According to the CTCR's current information sheet, "In order to provide leadership in dealing with the Synodís needs and opportunities in the areas of theology and church relations, the Synod established the Commission on Theology and Church Relations in 1962."  The Proceedings of that year's Synodical Convention include the text of the relevant resolution; it reads as follows, excluding the accompanying Bylaws revisions.
WHEREAS, number of different committees, such as the Committee on Doctrinal Unity, the Committee on Woman Suffrage, the Advisory Committee on Doctrine and Practice, the Committee on Finnish Relations, and the Committee on Bible Versions are now dealing with and speaking on matters of doctrine and practice; and
WHEREAS, It is desirable that the Synod speak with unified, single voice in these matters when addressing itself to extra- and intra-synodical organizations; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Commission on Theology and Church Relations be established.
So the CTCR seems to have come about mainly as a consolidation of responsibility within one body to address all "matters of doctrine and practice," thus enabling the Synod to "speak with unified, single voice in these matters."
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
Just saw this thread- my time at the seminary was 1995-1999, placed in 2000 after a year of CPE. 

The president was John Johnson.  My first impression of him was, "Who?  Where is he?"  He took a sabbatical in order to spend a year in the parish, Memorial Lutheran in Houston TX.  That was a good example for him to set.  He was kind and always seemed to be smiling, but I do not think he knew too many of the student's names.  That is kind of understandable.  There was a large number of students, the make up changed every year, he had to know a lot of alumni and donors.  I don't think he taught, except maybe as a fill-in in a systematics class when the regular prof was sick or attending a conference or seminar or something. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »
Prior to the establishment of the CTCR in 1962, difficult theological questions had been sent to the two
seminary faculties in St. Louis and Springfield for an opinion.  In the 1962 LCMS Convention, Dr. Martin
Scharlemann was asked to apologize to the Synod for some of his theological statements that he had
made in conferences and workshops in the LCMS.  Dr. Martin Scharlemann was from Concordia, St. Louis.
After this embarrassment at the 1962 Convention, it was felt  the LCMS needed a wider range of voices
to discuss theological issues. (Corrections Made  to 1962 LCMS Convention)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:55:10 PM by Dave Likeness »

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 01:34:13 PM »
And it was at the 1962 convention where Scharlemann withdrew his essay (on Biblical hermeutics) and "apologized".
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS