Author Topic: 2019 Synod Assembies: Something in the Air?  (Read 20414 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Synod Assembies: Something in the Air?
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
So would any of you like to venture a response to the question in the subject of this thread? Is there something discernible "in the air"? Are there any reemerging themes or patterns? We've already mentioned young bishops. Anything else?

My question came to mind when, on the first weekend of Synod Assembly season, two of the three Bishops available for re-election were not re-elected.  The next weekend it went to the fifth ballot before the (one eligible for election) Bishop was re-elected.  But since then, only one needed to go beyond the third ballot for re-election.

Of the 21 elections for Bishop this year, 10 were to elect a successor to retiring Bishops, and one was filling a vacancy. 

Of the 13 new Bishops-elect, 8 (including this weekend's elections) are women.

Pax, Steven+

The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »
This is certainly noteworthy although not part of a larger trend:  Rev. Beth Schlegel, STS, has been elected Secretary of the Lower Susquehanna Synod.

To the best of my knowledge she is the first STS subscriber to hold such a position of ELCA Synodical leadership.

Perhaps true, though I held a similar position for seven years before STS was born. It isn't really a very powerful position, but one gets a lot of opportunitird to vote "no."
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:08 PM »
This is certainly noteworthy although not part of a larger trend:  Rev. Beth Schlegel, STS, has been elected Secretary of the Lower Susquehanna Synod.

To the best of my knowledge she is the first STS subscriber to hold such a position of ELCA Synodical leadership.

Perhaps true, though I held a similar position for seven years before STS was born. It isn't really a very powerful position, but one gets a lot of opportunitird to vote "no."

Rev. Ken Blyth, STS, is Secretary of the Florida-Bahamas Synod.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »
From ELCA News:
Kurt Kusserow re-elected bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod

CHICAGO (June 17, 2019) – The Rev. Kurt F. Kusserow was elected June 13 to serve a third six-year term as bishop of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election took place during the synod assembly, held June 13-15 at California University of Pennsylvania in California, Pa.

Kusserow was elected on the second ballot, with 232 votes. A total of 219 votes were needed for election.

Prior to becoming bishop in 2007, Kusserow served as pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Latrobe, Pa., from 1997 to 2007, and as pastor of the Westmoreland Unit of Town and Country Lutheran Ministry, serving Faith Lutheran Church, Apollo (Oklahoma Boro), Pa., and Hebron Lutheran Church, Avonmore, Pa., from 1989 to 1996.

Kusserow received a Bachelor of Arts from Thiel College in 1985 and a Master of Divinity from Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, in 1989. Thiel is one of 26 ELCA colleges and universities and Trinity is one of seven ELCA seminaries.

Information about the Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod is available at swpasynod.org.

https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/7992

Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »
ELCA News reports:

Leila Ortiz elected bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod

CHICAGO (June 18, 2019) – The Rev. Leila M. Ortiz, Washington, D.C., was elected June 15 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election took place during the synod assembly, held June 14-15 at the College Park (Md.) Marriot and Conference Center.

Ortiz was elected on the fifth ballot, with 150 votes. The Rev. Jeanette D. Leisk, pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Alexandria, Va., received 121 votes.

The bishop-elect has served as assistant to the synod bishop for mobility and candidacy since 2016. She served as associate pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Gaithersburg, Md., from 2014 to 2016, and pastor-in-residence at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Herndon, Va., from 2013 to 2014.

Ortiz received a Bachelor of Psychology from Wagner College in Staten Island, N.Y., in 2005 and a Master of Divinity from the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (now United) in 2009. She is currently a doctoral candidate at United. Wagner is one of 26 ELCA colleges and universities, and United is one of seven ELCA seminaries.

Ortiz will be installed Oct. 12 at National Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C.

The Rev. Richard H. Graham has served as bishop since 2007 and will retire Aug. 31.

Information about the Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod is available at metrodcelca.org.

https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/7993
Pastor Zip's Blog

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
ELCA News reports:

Leila Ortiz elected bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod

CHICAGO (June 18, 2019) – The Rev. Leila M. Ortiz, Washington, D.C., was elected June 15 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election took place during the synod assembly, held June 14-15 at the College Park (Md.) Marriot and Conference Center.

Ortiz was elected on the fifth ballot, with 150 votes. The Rev. Jeanette D. Leisk, pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Alexandria, Va., received 121 votes.

The bishop-elect has served as assistant to the synod bishop for mobility and candidacy since 2016. She served as associate pastor of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Gaithersburg, Md., from 2014 to 2016, and pastor-in-residence at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Herndon, Va., from 2013 to 2014.

Ortiz received a Bachelor of Psychology from Wagner College in Staten Island, N.Y., in 2005 and a Master of Divinity from the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (now United) in 2009. She is currently a doctoral candidate at United. Wagner is one of 26 ELCA colleges and universities, and United is one of seven ELCA seminaries.

Ortiz will be installed Oct. 12 at National Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C.

The Rev. Richard H. Graham has served as bishop since 2007 and will retire Aug. 31.

Information about the Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Synod is available at metrodcelca.org.

https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/7993
This is another awfully thin resume. Bishop might possibly be a good fit, but the problem is that it is a position, presumably, of real executive authority and accountability, unlike the positions she held prior. But she's been in charge of mobility and candidacy in her synod, so she probably has some relationship with most of the pastors, which could explain her ability to survive the ballots as a lot of people's second choice.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
Bachelor of Psychology?  Never heard of that degree before.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2019, 09:27:57 AM »
There seems to be a bit of a trend for electing Bishops who have around a decade of pastoral experience. It also means that often they are younger pastors, especially if they aren't second career. Is this perhaps not so much a trend toward less experienced pastors as Bishop but rather younger pastors. Presumably fresh ideas and perhaps more energetic. Or even a generational thing, looking to a new generation for leadership. Interesting trend.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2019, 09:42:38 AM »
I assume this is the Pr. Ortiz elected bishop.  https://www.leilamortiz.com/about-me  From the site: 

"The Rev. Leila Michelle Ortiz is a_Luthercostal; an inspired preacher, teacher, and speaker who was raised in the Pentecostal Church and addressed by the Gospel anew in the Lutheran Church. Given her spiritual formation and theological liberation, Leila dares to work with the Spirit as She restores a fractured church and heals wounded souls. Leila has a heart for serving God’s people in practical and pastoral ways. Leila is called to preach and teach in communities that wrestle with their complicity in the unjust systems present in the church and in society. She is  especially interested in co-creating sacred space with people who:"  (To know with whom she wishes to create sacred space you will need to read "About Me."   ;)

In reading this I agree with George - church leaders need to speak in everyday language.

I agree that her resume is thin as to pastoral (congregational) experience.  I wish bishops would take on more seasoned clergy as assistants if, indeed, this will serve as a path to bishop. 

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
I realize this thread primarily concerns ELCA issues, but looking even at my own synod I often wonder if laypeople, in particular, vote in candidates that they know have extensive pastoral experience?  My sense is they do not.  Because of our more democratic system it is hard to have people who are more qualified for such positions placed there.  If the ELCA is anything like the LCMS in this regard we simply do not have a system that determines real eligibility for such pastoral supervisory positions.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
It could be that the more established pastors are quite comfortable in their positions. In some cases, being elected to the bishop's office would mean a pay cut - and much more travel; and likely more headaches.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »
Just to finish up the list of people Bishop-elect Ortiz wants to partner with, from her "about me" page, she specifies people who:

believe the church is “BS,” but know that God isn’t

·      have been hurt by toxic theologies

·      are enduring spiritual trauma

·      may feel spiritually homeless

·      are fierce followers of Jesus and

·      are intimately familiar with the movement of the                 

Holy Spirit.

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »
Just to finish up the list of people Bishop-elect Ortiz wants to partner with, from her "about me" page, she specifies people who:

believe the church is “BS,” but know that God isn’t

·      have been hurt by toxic theologies

·      are enduring spiritual trauma

·      may feel spiritually homeless

·      are fierce followers of Jesus and

·      are intimately familiar with the movement of the                 

Holy Spirit.

She could be describing confessional Lutherans in the ELCA in the bullet points but somehow I doubt that’s who she means.

George Erdner

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »

It's pretty much a stepping stone degree. Here's info I found about it. I had never heard of it myself, but I knew of people with Bachelor's degrees who had majored in psychology, so I figure it must have existed.

https://www.psychology.org/degrees/bachelors/

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »

It's pretty much a stepping stone degree. Here's info I found about it. I had never heard of it myself, but I knew of people with Bachelor's degrees who had majored in psychology, so I figure it must have existed.

https://www.psychology.org/degrees/bachelors/

I am aware of Bachelor degrees in psychology, but those were either BS or BA degrees.  This, as written, is not that.  Perhaps it is merely a journalistic or editorial error, and her degree is of the BS or BA variety.  I was wondering if there was an actual Bachelor of Psychology degree.