Author Topic: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"  (Read 4840 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: No Longer "Skating..." -- Call
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
... in the northern reaches of Metropolitan St. Louis, ...

Pax, Steven+         

What are the implications for your baseball loyalties?

"Cubs or Cardinals?" I was asked at the congregation Meet 'n' Greet.  So I began by confessing that my oldest fitted baseball cap, which I bought with my own money when I was in junior high, is of the Chicago Cubs.  Of course, they responded with boos. 

I then acknowledged that upon arriving in Peoria (a town of divided loyalties, even within families), I tried to become a Cardinals fan because I really liked their manager, Joe Torre, who had been a superb TV commentator for the Angels before he returned to the dugout in St. Louis.  Then half-way through the season, the Cards fired Torre -- so between the two, it's the Cubs.

But, I concluded, my first team is the Los Angeles Angels.  To which someone immediately responded, "Did you know this season the Angels will be in St. Louis for the first time since they signed Albert Pujols?"   So it appears I'll be wearing one of my Angels caps to Busch Stadium this summer, to cheer Albert -- as I had done when he played for the (class A) Peoria Chiefs!

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
Re: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
I've wondered how the Call process you were in was progressing and so good to learn that you will now shepherd this congregation.  God's blessing on your ministry.  As well, hopes for a conversion to becoming a Cardinal fan. 

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
Axios!
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

mj4

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »
... in the northern reaches of Metropolitan St. Louis, ...

Pax, Steven+         

What are the implications for your baseball loyalties?

"Cubs or Cardinals?" I was asked at the congregation Meet 'n' Greet.  So I began by confessing that my oldest fitted baseball cap, which I bought with my own money when I was in junior high, is of the Chicago Cubs.  Of course, they responded with boos. 

I then acknowledged that upon arriving in Peoria (a town of divided loyalties, even within families), I tried to become a Cardinals fan because I really liked their manager, Joe Torre, who had been a superb TV commentator for the Angels before he returned to the dugout in St. Louis.  Then half-way through the season, the Cards fired Torre -- so between the two, it's the Cubs.

But, I concluded, my first team is the Los Angeles Angels.  To which someone immediately responded, "Did you know this season the Angels will be in St. Louis for the first time since they signed Albert Pujols?"   So it appears I'll be wearing one of my Angels caps to Busch Stadium this summer, to cheer Albert -- as I had done when he played for the (class A) Peoria Chiefs!

Pax, Steven+

Pujols back in St. Louis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJFraAxluA

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »

Pujols back in St. Louis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJFraAxluA

That was Friday night.  I was at the ballpark for yesterday (Saturday) afternoon's game, which was much the same.  Attendance: 46,711 in a park with 45,494 seats.  Standing ovation each time he was announced, plus for his homer in the 7th (which brought the score to 4-2 Cards) and after grounding out in the 9th. 

It's been much the same today at Busch...

It's been a big weekend for Cardinal fans.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
Say hi to my nephew Dan, who is the LCMS pastor in Godfrey.

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
Say hi to my nephew Dan, who is the LCMS pastor in Godfrey.

I shall when I see him next.  He very graciously dropped in shortly after my arrival to introduce himself to me.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »
I learned yesterday that Zion's property is being transferred to the new Peace Community Church of Peoria.  The organizers of the new church are an interracial group of folk from the greater Peoria area who have a heart for mission on the South Side of Peoria, which is among the more distressed neighborhoods not only in Central Illinois, but across the state. 

They have received mission training from Saddleback Church in Southern California, where Rick Warren is pastor.  Of particular interest for those rooted at Zion and the South Side of Peoria, they very much love the historic building and grounds.  They will have some some work to do, both with the property and reaching out to the people of the neighborhood, as they hope to have their first public worship Easter Day 2020.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
This is fantastic news!  Thank you for sharing

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
My dear STS brother Steven:

Twice in my 30 year ministry we came close to having to make the decision your saints have had to make.  As my wise ordaining Bishop told me when he Installed me “the success or failure of this congregation is not a sign of your faithfulness or effectiveness as a Pastor.  The future of the Church is the Holy Spirit’s work alone, and there is a time to be born and a time to die”.  Words that were not comforting to me at the time, I pray are comforting to you.

May God continue to use you in His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church as a Pastor of unique talent and gifts of caring.  He is with you always!
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new