Author Topic: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"  (Read 4846 times)

Mike Bennett

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
Steven, as the actual day approaches I have no profound words to offer.  I trust that you know, as your congregation does, what a faithful shepherd Zion has had from the very start of your ministry.  As for the possible call . . . . . hmm . . . . . I wonder whether it is the possibility that I am aware of . . . . . it will be interesting to learn as things unfold.   
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
STEVEN

How did it go Sunday?

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
STEVEN

How did it go Sunday?

Peace, JOHN

Zion was packed Sunday afternoon.  Lots of tears, of course.  But all the messages were of the positive ministry that has marked Zion for over 124 years as a congregation, and a dozen years before that as a school and preaching point, often in challenging times.  A ministry that is ending here, but the ripples continue. 

We counted 219 in attendance (average in 2018 was 24), and it was a very cold, winters day (it had snowed Friday night) with a blizzard forecast for the late afternoon in the surrounding areas.  When the procession out, with the sacramental vessels and chancel furnishings, arrived downstairs, I told the Bishop, 10 other clergy in the procession (10 more were in the congregation) -- one of whom was a until-recently-unknown son of the congregation who came out from South Carolina -- and the worship assistants, "I never, ever want to do anything like this again.  But this was glorious!"

And it was. 

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Thanks! Blessings to you for what comes next. I pray that will be resloved soon. 😀

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »
STEVEN

How did it go Sunday?

Peace, JOHN

Zion was packed Sunday afternoon.  Lots of tears, of course.  But all the messages were of the positive ministry that has marked Zion for over 124 years as a congregation, and a dozen years before that as a school and preaching point, often in challenging times.  A ministry that is ending here, but the ripples continue. 

We counted 219 in attendance (average in 2018 was 24), and it was a very cold, winters day (it had snowed Friday night) with a blizzard forecast for the late afternoon in the surrounding areas.  When the procession out, with the sacramental vessels and chancel furnishings, arrived downstairs, I told the Bishop, 10 other clergy in the procession (10 more were in the congregation) -- one of whom was a until-recently-unknown son of the congregation who came out from South Carolina -- and the worship assistants, "I never, ever want to do anything like this again.  But this was glorious!"

And it was. 

Pax, Steven+

What a gift of God that this is the memory that you carry with you as you continue in ministry.  God's blessing on all you do.

Eileen

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
Steven,
I give thanks for your ministry and conttinue to pray for what God has in store for you.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
STEVEN

How did it go Sunday?

Peace, JOHN

And it was. 

Pax, Steven+
God has a way with gifts like that.

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
Re: No Longer "Skating..." -- Call
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
This last Sunday Resurrection Lutheran Church, Godfrey, Illinois, by a unanimous vote called this unworthy servant to be her next pastor.  I am awaiting the official Letter of Call, but my hope is to begin serving this congregation soon. 

Resurrection first organized as an AELC congregation in 1976 in the Alton-Godfrey area, with the existing church building dedicated in 1992.  Godfrey is village of some 18,000 residents in the northern reaches of Metropolitan St. Louis, its south-western border being the Mississippi River about midway between where the Illinois and Missouri Rivers empty into it.

Pax, Steven+         
Pastor Zip's Blog

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »
May God bless you in your new call, Pr. Tibbetts.

Through the magic of the interwebz, I just viewed the altar and font which have been entrusted to you.  Nice digs, perhaps a bit more modern than your last, if I recall correctly.   ;)

Sterling
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:50 PM »
STEVEN

Thanks be to God.  :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

mj4

• View Profile
Re: No Longer "Skating..." -- Call
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:30 PM »
... in the northern reaches of Metropolitan St. Louis, ...

Pax, Steven+         

What are the implications for your baseball loyalties?

I wish you and Resurrection the best!

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 09:31:42 PM »
Nice digs, perhaps a bit more modern than your last, if I recall correctly.   ;)

Nothing that a team of carpenters couldn't turn into a decent Iconostasis in four days.  ;)

All kidding aside:  Glory to God for all things!
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »
Congratulations, Steven! Glad to know you are heading towards another call, where I have no doubt you will do good work.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 11:06:22 PM »
Videos of Zion's final service have now been posted on the congregation's YouTube channel.  I also have them in a YouTube playlist of my own.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:55 PM »
So very well done, Steven!  Thank you for letting us view this special time of worship for you and your people. 

To your proclamation of, Peace, I respond:  and with your spirit.  Amen.
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.