Author Topic: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"  (Read 4843 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: No Longer "Skating Close to the Edge"
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
Pastor Falk, at the “funeral” for congregations, we speak of the faithful service of the congregation and its people over many years. We refer to baptisms, confirmations, weddings, and funerals and other examples of gospel-centered Worship and service, we mention those who were sent out into the wider work of the church and mission support given to special projects.
We give thanks for all that which happened in this particular “place”  and say that while this particular “place“ may no longer be the focus of that gospel ministry, that which began here continues.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

NCLutheran2

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
Pastor Tibbetts,

Please accept my condolences on behalf of your congregation. Making the decision to close, even when the "right" thing to do, always feels wrong. Our church is weaker without you.

I have always been impressed by your perspectives and insights on this forum. I hope that you will find a place to use your considerable gifts and talents to continue your ministry.

Rob

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
Pr. Tibbetts —

You and your flock are in my prayers.

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
As I've said privately, and now will say here:  You are a faithful colleague in ministry, and I'm honored to be able to call you a colleague and friend.  May God grant you new ministries that may even yet be unknown to you, and on a personal note:  we're a little slim on members right now out here in Central Plains STS, so hopefully it might be within our bounds!
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »
You have served faithfully and well Steven.  I grieve with you and the folks of Zion over their closing.  I remember visiting you there at the church--and praying Matins or Compline together.  I remember the beautiful sanctuary and the fellowship hall--and I give thanks to God for the heritage and legacy of the faithful preaching of the Word and celebration of the Sacraments and witness to Christ, a legacy faithfully honored by the ministry of Zion's last pastor, yourself.  I give thanks as well, that your sojourn in Peoria covered the time I was traveling from Iowa to Columbus, OH for Lutheran CORE and the fellowship we enjoyed over meals downtown--a welcome break from my travels.  Blessings to you dear brother and esteemed colleague wherever God calls you next to serve His Church.
Ken

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »
As you prepare for the final Eucharist to be celebrated at Zion, Steven, I know that you and the faithful will sing together the wonderful words of comfort and hope which will be realized at the altar together in Holy Communion  -  Grace our table with Your presence, and give us a foretaste of the feast to come.

In this ongoing era of church closings, my concern as Bishop was always to ensure that each and all of those whose house of worship was no more would be guided and directed to safe pasture in neighboring fellowships.  I pray that's happening for the members of Zion, and for you as well.

Dave Benke

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
Blessings to you Steven.  I will pray for you and the congregation.

gan ainm

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »
Pr. Tibbetts, may God grant you and your congregation peace and comfort as you prepare for the next phase of your journeys. 

Blessings.

readselerttoo

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
Pr. Tibbetts, my prayers for you and your congregation that Christ continue to shepherd you and all at Zion, Peoria.

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Even as I join those who grieve the demise of the church as it currently exists, I prayerfully anticipate hearing of your new call and renewed purpose in ministry.  Blessings to all impacted. 

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
Pr. Tibbetts,
You and your congregation are in my prayers. God's peace be with you.

Matt Becker

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 01:07:38 AM »
I thank you all for your prayers and kind words, both on my behalf and that of the people of Zion.  Sunday will be a very emotionally-charged day, but we will not be alone in our sadness and thanksgiving.

As for my future, a congregation within the Synod will be meeting 2 weeks from this Sunday to vote on calling me as their next Pastor.  As is typical in the ELCA, I have met with both the Call Committee and Congregation Council, and (as is typical in our Synod) I will be meeting more informally with the congregation before that.  I pray that these will enable us to clearly discern the Lord's will for both that congregation, me, and our ministries.

Pax et bonum, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
Wondrous news, thanks for sharing.  The Lord will provide.  Not just for you, but I pray also for the people of Zion.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Mike in Pennsylvania

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
Pr. Stephen, I am glad to hear that your synod is willing to work with you in finding a new place for ministry.  May God's blessings be upon this journey!
NALC Interim Pastor

RandyBosch

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
Praying that the Holy Spirit continues to hold up the believers from Zion and strengthen them as they are directed to new congregations.  And, praying that the Holy Spirit continue to guide you and the call process that God's servants and sheep be protected and led forward with sound teaching in a new setting.