Author Topic: Luther on Prager U  (Read 6731 times)

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Luther on Prager U
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
If I remember right, his father was the bishop in California. I don't know what happened to his roster status at that time.

You remember incorrectly. His father, E. J. Cornils, was a prominent pastor in the South Pacific District of the ALC, I believe executive vice president, but never president/bishop.

Not the first time I've been incorrect. You are right, he was the executive vice president of the South Pacific District when I began there in 1976. Gaylerd Falde was the President/Bishop.

I stopped getting ELCA Yearbooks in 2008, but Stephen Cornils is on the roster in that volume.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:02:19 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 01:55:43 PM »
A little scrolling around the internet teaches us that Dennis Prager is a long-time commentator and columnist and that "Prager U" is one of his online "projects." His columns suggest that he is Jewish, a strong-strong supporter of Israel (and thinks that modern American Jews do not support Israel enough), believes that the current president is the "best friend Israel ever had," deplores the "destruction" of the Miss America Pageant, is a strong Trump supporter and is on the far right on other current social issues.  It appears that one of his columns has nasty things to say about the Southern Poverty Law Center. Others can read and come to their own conclusions.

I had thought we were being asked for reactions to the video.  Silly me.

The original post asked if we had thoughts about him.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

LCMS87

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
The him of the initial post obviously referring to Cornils, not Prager.

mj4

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
I have encountered the name before, but I'm not sure where. Although he is pictured on the Wartburg site clerically garbed, his name does not come up in a search of the ELCA clergy roster.

The Wartburg website identifies him as a member of the ELCA Church Council, yet he is not on the Church Council directory.

https://directory.elca.org/Pages/index.aspx/churchwide/church-council

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
So he was off the roster because of some misconduct, and then got back on the roster? But he’s off again, apparently.  Maybe the Wartburg site is not up-to-date.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »
I have encountered the name before, but I'm not sure where. Although he is pictured on the Wartburg site clerically garbed, his name does not come up in a search of the ELCA clergy roster.

His name became known back in 1993 when he had to resign from Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis over affairs he had ten years earlier while serving a congregation in California. If I remember right, his father was the bishop in California. I don't know what happened to his roster status at that time.

Some info on this here

A LinkedIn site listed him as "Lead Pastor at West Campus of Mt Olivet."

One of the men mentioned in that article as having to resign due to sexual infidelity -- Rev. Mose Henney -- is currently listed as "Pastor Mose" at Lamb of God Lutheran (LCMS) in Las Vegas, according to their 12/23/18 bulletin.  Even though he was ordained as an ELCA pastor, and is not currently listed on the LCMS roster.  I recall there was a bit of a hub-bub about this a while back on either Steadfast Lutherans or LutherQuest, but I do not believe anything ever came of it.  I seem to recall something about him also operating a private wedding chapel in Las Vegas, as well. 

For all the huffing and puffing about Rev. Otten not being rostered and yet serving a Missouri Synod congregation, there does not seem to be much concern about this.  Despite Otten's call predating the rule requiring such a rostering, while this certainly is after that rule.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
So he was off the roster because of some misconduct, and then got back on the roster? But he’s off again, apparently.  Maybe the Wartburg site is not up-to-date.

From what I've seen in old ELCA Yearbooks, he was not removed from the roster. He resigned as pastor of Central Lutheran, Minneapolis because of misconduct that occurred 10 years earlier that had become public. If I remember the details right, and I've had faulty memories before, it was brought up in divorce proceedings.

Not all cases of misconduct - even sexual misconduct - result in removal from the roster. In some cases, a bishop may require the successful completion of therapy and perhaps ongoing counseling if the person is going to serve a congregation again.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »

The Wartburg website identifies him as a member of the ELCA Church Council, yet he is not on the Church Council directory.

From the Church Council Minutes of November 2017 as part of an en bloc election of people to boards:

To re-elect to the board of directors of Wartburg Theological Seminary for a six-year term ending in December 2023: The Rev. Stephen J. Cornils and the Rev. Kathryn A. Kleinhans.

The "ELCA Church Council" under his (and other) names, probably indicates that they are elected to the board by the ELCA Church Council.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Maybe he is still clergy, but not on the ELCA roster?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 06:47:12 PM »
A little scrolling around the internet teaches us that Dennis Prager is a long-time commentator and columnist and that "Prager U" is one of his online "projects." His columns suggest that he is Jewish, a strong-strong supporter of Israel (and thinks that modern American Jews do not support Israel enough), believes that the current president is the "best friend Israel ever had," deplores the "destruction" of the Miss America Pageant, is a strong Trump supporter and is on the far right on other current social issues.  It appears that one of his columns has nasty things to say about the Southern Poverty Law Center. Others can read and come to their own conclusions.

Dennis Prager is a conservative (lower-case "c") Jew rooted in Orthodox Judaism, and first came to public notice some 35 years ago when he took over as host of "Religion on the Line," which aired Sunday nights on talk radio KABC in Los Angeles.  Soon afterwards he was hosting the daily evening show (when the Dodgers weren't playing, providing a conservative intellectual counterweight to Michael Jackson's (not the pop singer or the beer critic) more liberal (and very-highly-rated and highly-regarded) morning program on the same station.  This was in a day when talk radio was focussed more on interviewing a wide range of guests and listeners calling in to chat with the guests.  Part of his breaking into a more national audience was occasional essays in First Things when Richard John Neuhaus was editor.

From the beginning Prager always has had a strong focus on ethics, and that has never changed.  I've listened to him off-and-on since he started at KABC, and he is always respectful and generous to and with those with whom he disagrees.  If he has something "nasty" to say about any thing, it has to be truly repugnant.

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »

His name became known back in 1993 when he had to resign from Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis over affairs he had ten years earlier while serving a congregation in California. If I remember right, his father was the bishop in California. I don't know what happened to his roster status at that time.

Pr. Stephen Cornils was never removed from the ELCA clergy roster.  His father, the Rev. E. J. Pr. Cornils (who retired several years before the creation of the ELCA), was Executive VP of the ALC's South Pacific District in the '60s and '70s, and an executive in the old ALC's stewardship/finance department before that.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

Steven Tibbetts

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
Maybe he is still clergy, but not on the ELCA roster?

He's in the last printed (2017) ELCA Yearbook, which has the roster dated 8/31/16.  His name doesn't appear on the on-line Directory' list of those removed 9/1/16-12/31/17.  His name doesn't appear on the current on-line roster, but then mine didn't either for some time earlier this summer.

Pax, Steven+
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »
Record keeping seems to be kind of a problem. Months and months after my successor resigned, the congregation was still not listed on the "vacancy" list put out by the Synod. I finally emailed the Synod office and said, "I know this isn't any of my business, but you really might want to list this congregation as vacant . . . " They thanked me and two or three weeks later it finally appeared.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »
Record keeping seems to be kind of a problem. Months and months after my successor resigned, the congregation was still not listed on the "vacancy" list put out by the Synod. I finally emailed the Synod office and said, "I know this isn't any of my business, but you really might want to list this congregation as vacant . . . " They thanked me and two or three weeks later it finally appeared.

And there was the time The Lutheran sort of had your obituary.

mj4

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »

From the Church Council Minutes of November 2017 as part of an en bloc election of people to boards:

To re-elect to the board of directors of Wartburg Theological Seminary for a six-year term ending in December 2023: The Rev. Stephen J. Cornils and the Rev. Kathryn A. Kleinhans.

The "ELCA Church Council" under his (and other) names, probably indicates that they are elected to the board by the ELCA Church Council.

I'm sure you're right about that, but the Wartburg website does leave one to conjecture.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:37:51 PM by mj4 »