Author Topic: Rev. Kenneth Siess  (Read 788 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Rev. Kenneth Siess
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
Some Concordia St. Louis grads on this Forum may remember the late Rev. Dr. Kenneth Siess, whose obituary appears in today's Star-Tribune. I never knew him, but his cv is impressive.
http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/0000271637/?fullname=rev-dr-kenneth-siess
Siess, Rev. Dr. Kenneth Age 86, died Aug. 24, 2018. Director of Chaplaincy and Clinical Pastoral Education at University of Minnesota Hospitals and Clinic, 1976-94, and Director of Chaplaincy with Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, 1994-2002. Taught at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.

Any memories to share?

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Rev. Kenneth Siess
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:54:29 PM »
Some Concordia St. Louis grads on this Forum may remember the late Rev. Dr. Kenneth Siess, whose obituary appears in today's Star-Tribune. I never knew him, but his cv is impressive.
http://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/0000271637/?fullname=rev-dr-kenneth-siess
Siess, Rev. Dr. Kenneth Age 86, died Aug. 24, 2018. Director of Chaplaincy and Clinical Pastoral Education at University of Minnesota Hospitals and Clinic, 1976-94, and Director of Chaplaincy with Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, 1994-2002. Taught at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.

Any memories to share?

Peace,
Michael

Ken Siess was our professor in practical theology in the areas of pastoral care and counseling.  An excellent teacher and mentor, who also had a ministry of counseling to seminarians and their families.  This was at a time of tumult not only in the country, but at the seminary itself.  He was wise, patient, a great listener.  I remember him well and fondly,

Dave Benke

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
In my last year at Concordia Seminary, St Louis, I took the course "The Pastor As Counselor"
from Dr. Ken Siess.  He was an outstanding professor who could communicate in the classroom
with seminarians.  Dr. Siess laid the groundwork for those of us who would later take Continuing
Education in Pastoral Counseling courses.  Teaching in the area of pastoral theology he was a
welcome relief from some of the Old Testament professors who were egotists. 

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
How is Dr. Siess's name pronounced? 

Rhymes with....?
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
How is Dr. Siess's name pronounced? 

Rhymes with....?
cease
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
A kind and gentle man in my experience.  He watched as we preached our first sermons in front of television cameras.  Helped us critique the theology; our style of preaching; our appearance; and all manner of small things that go into effective preaching. 

Mike Koch