Author Topic: John McCain: an American hero is laid to rest  (Read 7473 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: John McCain: an American hero is laid to rest
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
Sometimes being silent is the more dignified response.

(ESV) Mt 26:62 And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?” 63 But Jesus remained silent.

Mt 27:12 But when he was accused by the chief priests and elders, he gave no answer. 13 Then Pilate said to him, “Do you not hear how many things they testify against you?” 14 But he gave him no answer, not even to a single charge, so that the governor was greatly amazed.

Your point is seconded by Pope Francis with his refusal to answer back to the public attacks against him.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:24 AM »
The McCain family obviously loved their father/spouse very much. A short while ago a loudmouthed, craven bully who never did anything for his country made light of their loved one's sacrifice. And then an opportunity arose to pay that loud mouthed coward back. So they took it. Don't know about anyone else on this forum, but they send like my relatives.

POTUS needs to learn the great truth from MIB- "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

I am assuming that you are referring to President Trump with your "loudmouthed, craven bully" comment.  And, if that is correct, I reject your claim that he has done nothing for our country.  He paid taxes.  His building projects employed a number of people.  As president, his policies have added to the wealth of many citizens.  One could go on, but I think that is sufficient to rebut your claim.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
Pastor Bohler writes:
I could go on, but I think that is sufficient to rebut your claim.

I comment:
No, it isn’t. Not even close. But there would be no point in discussing that.
McCain’s opposition to the president was the last great and noble thing he did in his life. Therefore, continuing it at his funeral is perfectly appropriate. And it appears that you still remain crassly insensitive to the pain the president caused to McCain’s family And, by extension, to all those who have been prisoners of war.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
The McCain family obviously loved their father/spouse very much. A short while ago a loudmouthed, craven bully who never did anything for his country made light of their loved one's sacrifice. And then an opportunity arose to pay that loud mouthed coward back. So they took it. Don't know about anyone else on this forum, but they send like my relatives.

POTUS needs to learn the great truth from MIB- "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

I am assuming that you are referring to President Trump with your "loudmouthed, craven bully" comment.  And, if that is correct, I reject your claim that he has done nothing for our country.  He paid taxes.  His building projects employed a number of people.  As president, his policies have added to the wealth of many citizens.  One could go on, but I think that is sufficient to rebut your claim.

Really? You are going to compare Trump's payment of taxes, after his attorneys and accountants make sure they are at the lowest, with McCain's life of service? That's the best you can muster? The only decent thing that can be said about the current occupant of the Oval Office is that he is not HRC.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
Furthermore, we don’t know whether Trump paid his taxes or at what cheapskate level, because he won’t release his returns.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
Furthermore, we don’t know whether Trump paid his taxes or at what cheapskate level, because he won’t release his returns.

Well, I was going to refrain from putting that particular boot in, but yeah. And let's be honest, the start of his "fortune" was made sucking up to the government teat with various programs. He isn't a Randian ubermensch.

He is best described by a quote from the original and far superior House of Cards UK. He has "absolutely no informing principle but the will to survive, just a plump little bag of squirming appetites!"

Does it say nothing to you that two men who often violently disagree on matters political and theological seem to be of one accord on this?

Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
I'm not a moderator here, (but I play one on TV?), however I would respectfully request that this thread be closed, as it has most definitely run it's course and has taken the usual ugly turn that so many threads on here do.  (yes, I've been guilty of contributing to that in the past as well).

Thank you, all, for illustrating just how deep the divide continues to be and how few are willing to acknowledge anything at all about the "other side."
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Does it say nothing to you that two men who often violently disagree on matters political and theological seem to be of one accord on this?

Yes, it says that Trump Derangement Syndrome is not discriminatory.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Linda

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
What can God be thinking using such a man as Trump -- guilty of adultery, intemperate speech, awful family man, extravagant w/ his money.....

Linda

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
You realize don’t you that Trump  Derangement Syndrome is nothing new.  There was Obama Derangement Syndrome (although much more on the right then), Bush, Clinton, going back at least to Reagan.  The Trump outbreak does seem a more virulent strain than with his predecessors.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

gan ainm

« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
You realize don’t you that Trump  Derangement Syndrome is nothing new.  There was Obama Derangement Syndrome (although much more on the right then), Bush, Clinton, going back at least to Reagan.  The Trump outbreak does seem a more virulent strain than with his predecessors.

Organisms develop resistance to pesticides, antibiotics, and trolls such as we experience on this forum that display rabid TDS.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »

Yes, it says that Trump Derangement Syndrome is not discriminatory.

The fact that since the late 1980s I have had the full measure of the Mamzer in Chief does not mean I have TDS. It means I was in the Metro NY area when he placed an ad that pretty well called for the judicial lynching of 5 men of color for the rape and assault of a white woman. It would have been pretty egregious if the men in question had been guilty. Given the fact that they were innocent, makes it even worse. Trump is no better than Al Sharpton who has still to repent of the Tawana Brawley case. 30+ years on, and Trump still wants them dead. THIS is your morally upright political leader?

We will, God willing, get one or perhaps two (maybe three?) Supreme Court justices, who seem to be excellent candidates despite, not because, of Trump. I can live with that. And I can live with the fact that alternative would have been in many ways far worse. Just please don't tell a New Yorker who has experienced the man that he is anything other than a schmuck.

And yeah- the cheap shot about an aviator POW rankles hard. It's why I detest Al Gore and Dan Quayle and the way they treated VADM Stockdale during the Vice Presidential debate.

Matt Hummel

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
Yes, but he's our schmuck. And he's accomplishing good things.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
God used King Cyrus of Persia to return the Jews from their Babylonian exile.  I doubt that he was of stellar character.

Even David, the ancestor of Christ according to the flesh was quite fleshly minded and was described as "a great lover of women."
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.