Author Topic: Some Good News please?  (Read 2266 times)

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Some Good News please?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 04:25:42 PM »
Thanks to all who have shared Good News with me both publicly and privately. I’m grateful for your kindness and for what God is working through you.

Jonathan Priest

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
I interpreted John's death in Mark typologically under the category of prophetic martyrdom. John's death is a type of martyrdom which along with all prophetic deaths prefigures the arch type of Jesus' death and resurrection. I drew connections to the following verses:

Matthew, chapter 5, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Hebrews, chapter 11, "And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect."

I then compared prophetic martyrdom types to post resurrection apostolic martyrdoms. Afterwards, I reflected on the recent deaths of members in our congregation and how they specifically gave witness to Jesus. In particular, we had a younger lector in his 30's who unexpectedly died on Easter morning who had been very active in worship and ministry during Holy Week and had been scheduled to read from 1 Corinthians 15. I then asked our members to consider how they would talk about their own deaths with their children, siblings, friends, and neighbors.

I also used a rubik's cube throughout the message as a visual aid to talk about the chaos of one's existence apart from faith in Christ and the joyful hope that comes from trusting that one's life has now been aligned to Jesus' death and resurrection [all things work together for good...].

Jonathan

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:32:56 PM by Jonathan Priest »

mariemeyer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
I interpreted John's death in Mark typologically under the category of prophetic martyrdom. John's death is a type of martyrdom which along with all prophetic deaths prefigures the arch type of Jesus' death and resurrection. I drew connections to the following verses:

Matthew, chapter 5, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Hebrews, chapter 11, "And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect."

I then compared prophetic martyrdom types to post resurrection apostolic martyrdoms. Afterwards, I reflected on the recent deaths of members in our congregation and how they specifically gave witness to Jesus. In particular, we had a younger lector in his 30's who unexpectedly died on Easter morning who had been very active in worship and ministry during Holy Week and had been scheduled to read from 1 Corinthians 15. I then asked our members to consider how they would talk about their own deaths with their children, siblings, friends, and neighbors.

I also used a rubik's cube throughout the message as a visual aid to talk about the chaos of one's existence apart from faith in Christ and the joyful hope that comes from trusting that one's life has now been aligned to Jesus' death and resurrection [all things work together for good...].

Jonathan

Appreciate your post...the thoughts you expressed are worth pondering.

Marie Meyer

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 03:02:16 PM »

Jonathan

Thank you for sharing this.

Jonathan Priest

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »
You're welcome. One additional point about the rubik's cube: One method of solving a rubik's cube uses the sign of the cross! You first have to make a cross in order to guide the rest of your moves towards completion. Here is the link to the official webpage in case you want to see it in action: https://www.rubiks.com/blog/how-to-solve-the-rubiks-cube-stage-2

Jonathan

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
That’s pretty nifty. Thank you.

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »
Today is the Commemoration of the Beheading of the Forerunner, Prophet, and Baptist John.

It is one of a handful of commemorations for which the calendars of both East and West agree.

In the Orthodox Church it is a "strict Fast day"; this year, being a Wednesday it is no different from any other Fasting Wednesday.   But next year it will be the center of a three day Wednesday-Thursday (Commemoration)--Friday Fast.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
In the Orthodox Church the Beheading of St. John the Forerunner is celebrated annually on the 29th of August.

From the Praises of Matins:

Eighth Tone

What a paradoxal miracle! * The Prophet John's sacred head, * which the Angels revere in awe, * was paraded round about * by a wanton licentious girl. * To her adulterous mother she offered it: * with it, the tongue that accused the lawless king. * Oh, the ineffable * forbearance You showed, O lover of mankind! * Therefore save our souls, O Christ * alone compassionate.

Such was the hardness of Herod's heart! * For while dishonoring God * by refusing to keep the Law, * he deceitfully pretends * that he honors the oaths he makes; * and he adds murder to his adultery, * and then he feigns a dejected countenance. * Oh, the ineffable * tender mercy You, O Master, have for us! * Therefore save our souls, O Christ * alone compassionate.

What an appalling atrocity! * The very Angel on earth * and the seal of the Prophets all * has been shown to be the prize * for the dance of a prostitute. * The tongue that utters the words of God is sent * to those in Hades, foretelling them of Christ. * Oh, the ineffable * providence that You, O Master, have for all! * Therefore save our souls, O Christ * alone compassionate.

This is worth repeating. Thank you.