Author Topic: Kieschnick;s final remark  (Read 3757 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Kieschnick;s final remark
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
After final gavel and singing of "Go, My Children, With My Blessing" Kieschnicks asks for privilege to thank delegations. Has been to every convention since 1971 and has never seen strong disagreements handled with such grace and collegiality. Convention officially over.

janielou13

Re: Kieschnick;s final remark
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
From Pr. Speckhard's reporting, one gets the impression that Kieschnick has set the agenda for the foreseeable 21st Century much like Behnken set the agenda for the 20th.  Mixed results on the first and there will of course be on the second.  But hey, both Texans,,,,,, that must say something.

Both stressing missions, growth, moderization, and both facing negitive growth and the need to open new frontiers.  Curious.

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »
And a collegial spirit, one of moderation and (dare I say) gentleness when dealing with one another.  Maybe it's my PTSD, but I cannot tolerate the mean streak that has run through the LCMS.  Jerry has seemed to deal with that very well, substituting a spirit of respect and fairness.  Yes, he runs things very tightly, some say he is too controlling.  From out here in the diaspora, it is a welcome change to watch the Convention and actually enjoy doing so.

janielou13

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
"Jerry has seemed to deal with that very well"......... you're just saying that because it's true.  Besides he's a fellow Slav.

scott3

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
"Jerry has seemed to deal with that very well"......... you're just saying that because it's true.  Besides he's a fellow Slav.

He's a slav?!?!  Cool.  I wonder if he's Ruthinian, too...

janielou13

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:09:51 PM »
Not Ruthinian,,,,,,,, but close.  He's a Wend,,,,,, a Slavic tribe conquered and germanicized under the Ottonians drang nach osten, Henry II was the Emperor who formally incorporated them into the Empire.

The Wendish mostly settled in eastern Texas and as they were German speaking thanks to Henry II, quickly affiliated with the early LCMS German immigrants in the area.  The Kieschnick clan historically has been parochial school teachers as oppiosed to pastors.  Prez K in fact was a teacher before he went to Springfield to get certified for ordination.

Are you aware of the Ruthinian settlement in western Dade County, Florida ?  Mostly avacado ranchers.

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »
Hey, how about us northern Slavs?  We gave the world John Paul II, and we settled wherever there was work...mostly in the neighbors next to those Germans....

scott3

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »
Not Ruthinian,,,,,,,, but close.  He's a Wend,,,,,, a Slavic tribe conquered and germanicized under the Ottonians drang nach osten, Henry II was the Emperor who formally incorporated them into the Empire.

The Wendish mostly settled in eastern Texas and as they were German speaking thanks to Henry II, quickly affiliated with the early LCMS German immigrants in the area.  The Kieschnick clan historically has been parochial school teachers as oppiosed to pastors.  Prez K in fact was a teacher before he went to Springfield to get certified for ordination.

Are you aware of the Ruthinian settlement in western Dade County, Florida ?  Mostly avacado ranchers.

Nope, I'm not aware of the Florida Ruthinians.  Most of my people settled in Pennsylvania, and many moved to the Hammond / East Chicago area (where my folk are from, now).  My dad's church (before he switched to LCMS on account of my mom) was the "Carpatho-Russian Greek Catholic Orthodox Church of the Eastern Rite."  Took me 2 years to learn that name.  Makes LCMS seem downright concise.

janielou13

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 04:35:21 PM »
JP II, a natural blonde, is actually more Varegarian Norse than Slav,,,,, as are all blonde Poles.  Neverthe less, they're all Poles at heart now, and the world thanks you for JPII,,,,,, well, possibly not the Russians.

Did you know that the most northern most of Slavic tribes, Serbs, Croats and Slovenes originated in the fens between Hamburg and Danzig ?  Guess they didn't want to live in a German neighborhood.  The move started if I recall correctly during Roman times.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
Geez, and I thought the Scandinavians were confusing . . .
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

janielou13

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »
Oh, I thought it was confused.  8>)

dpartlow

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:10:35 PM »
Hard for me to imagine the 'pure blood' neighborhoods you all describe. I am Swede-English-German-Polish-French-ScotchIrish (and my daughters add Russian-Byelorussian-Jew to that list - but we are all LCMS now.

:)