Author Topic: A Concern for "Morality" in our Land, or not?  (Read 93572 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A Concern for "Morality" in our Land, or not?
« Reply #2055 on: January 23, 2019, 12:09:20 PM »

Concern for "Morality" in our land, or not was fully displayed this past weekend and the beginning of this week in the media and social media.  An image with a snippet of video of a young white male wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap and with a strained smile on his face standing inches from a older weathered Native American who was chanting and beating his drum on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, ignited a media feeding frenzy.  It was iconic of all that is wrong and immoral about America, President Trump and his sycophants.  Here was this privileged white male disrespecting, menacing and harassing this American Indian elder and Viet Nam War veteran backed up by his group of white high school thugs, chanting "Build that Wall, Build that Wall."  This is what America has come to under Donald Trump!

Except that more video that gave context to this incident came to light.  The young man and his fellow high school students from a Catholic High School (how much more evil can you get than to attend an all male OMG! Catholic High School) had been in Washington to attend the March for Life demonstration and were waiting at the Lincoln Memorial to take the bus back to Kentucky.  They became the object of harassment from small group of Black Hebrew Israelites who attacked the group with truly foul, racially charged and anti-homosexual rants.  Eventually the students tried to drown out the epithets being hurled at them with some of their school spirit chants (not "build that wall").  At about that time the Native American activist Nathan Phillips (a military veteran but he never served in Viet Nam, by the way) approached.  The students did not surround him, nor did they chant "Build the Wall" at him, but he ended up inches from student Nick Sandmann who reported that he sought by standing still and smiling to demonstrate that he was not being threatening.

Meanwhile, the media, main stream, social and fringe, had gone wild.  Media pundits and celebrities calling for punishment for the young men, demanding that they be doxed so that they could be properly harassed.  The high school was closed for a day due to security concerns and received threats, the students and their families received threats.  Suggestions were made that they should be fed head first into wood chippers, all locked into their school and the school burned down, and other such suggestions.

Some media figures have backed down, quietly deleted tweets, a very few even apologized for their rush to judgment.  Other have not, even suggesting that wearing a MAGA cap is itself grounds enough for whatever happened to them.  So much for wearing apparel even apparel that some find offensive as protected First Amendment speech.  Apparently it is protected so long as the Left are not offended.

The behavior and language of the Black Hebrew Israelites became almost a footnote to this story, their language and behavior as adults harassing teenagers, perhaps hoping to provoke an incident, faded into the background.

What is it with the Left's fascination with violence and suggesting violence.  President Trump has been rightly criticized for his sometime violent rhetoric.  But does that excuse similar and worse violent rhetoric, not to mention violence perpetuated by their adherents such as ANTIFA, by those who oppose him?  When was that last time that Pres. Trump suggest feeding someone into a woodchipper?  I know that I have been accused of being whimsy challenged, but does anyone take that as being good whimsy, especially as applied to teenagers?

Even after greater context surfaced, in the interview with Nick Sandmann broadcast on NBC Evening News, the interviewer acted less as an interviewer and more like a prosecuting attorney cross examining a defendant trolling for an admission of guilt.  The focus was not on him telling his story but on trying to get him to admit to have been somehow in the wrong.  He would have been well advised to have been accompanied by a lawyer or at least his parents (preferably both) to such a hostile interview.  Apparently solicitude towards the young of our nation extends only to those agitating for gun laws.  Young white males deserve anything bad that they get.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:59:43 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

gan ainm

« Reply #2056 on: January 23, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »
Concern for morality?  Or people?  Right ......

1. By Melanie Arter | January 23, 2019 | 11:06 AM EST

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo
(CNSNews.com) - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law a bill on Tuesday that legalizes late-term abortion timed to coincide with the 46th anniversary of Roe v. Wade – the Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion.

The Reproductive Health Act (S.240) also allows non-doctors to perform abortions.

Prior to signing the bill, Cuomo told supporters, “Today is sweet, because in a few minutes, I will sign this bill, and another New York national precedent will be established, the most aggressive women’s equality platform in the nation is going to be a law in this state, and that’s the way it should be.”

2. Big deal that never got reported - Rep. Dan Crenshaw:

Last week, House GOP voted to pay federal employees their 1st paycheck of 2019, despite shutdown. Only 6 Dems voted with us. It failed.

Dem priority is not paying workers or opening gov't. It is opposing Trump. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll043.xml

Digging deep we found a report from The Government Executive on January 17, 2019

It stated. “The House on Thursday rejected an attempt by Republicans to replace a continuing resolution to fund the government through Feb. 28 with a measure that would have issued a paycheck to federal workers who are furloughed or working without pay.

If the motion had succeeded, and the bill had been passed and been signed into law, it would have provided all furloughed and excepted federal employees with the paycheck they missed last week, but the agencies would have remained unfunded and the paycheck due next week still would not go out.

The motion failed by a 195-222 vote, with six Democrats—Reps. Duke Cunningham, Calif.; Josh Gottheimer, N.J.; Conor Lamb, Penn.; Seth Moulton, Mass.; Max Rose, N.Y.; and Jeff Van Drew, N.J.—crossing the aisle to support the measure.

Oddly enough, no major media organization covered the story.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #2057 on: January 24, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »
Your first item, GA, is a very big deal, and goes hand in hand with the NYT almost daily editorials fulminating about threats to "reproductive rights" and the abortion industry, which flourishes in this state.  It has been covered extensively, but as always ignores any concern to life inside the womb.

Your second item is to most Americans, including me, not a big deal, because the shut-down is and will remain a solely owned property of the President.

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2058 on: January 24, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Pastor Fienen, you are right, but only partially. The "rush to judgment" by the media was wrong, prompted mainly by the need of television news to have drama and immediacy and the fact that there was compelling and dramatic video.
However, it is also important to note that the media immediately, as soon as the additional information became available, corrected itself and took another direction. I can almost guarantee that there were wrenching and soul-searching discussions in newsrooms and production studios.
The attached column by long-time journalist and New York Times columnist Frank Bruni, is interesting:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/covington-teenagers-twitter.html
He reminds us that journalism is sometimes the "first draft" of history and not the final story. And he notes that, as often happens, the dust-up over what is wrong with that first story detracts attention from what is right about the situation; the reminder that racism and cultural arrogance are major problems for our country and we need to face them directly.
Others have said that we Make America Great Again not by our superiority, our sense of being "number one," or our power in economics and military power, but by the humility, humanity and service to others that our wealth and position make possible. Amen to that.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
Your first item, GA, is a very big deal, and goes hand in hand with the NYT almost daily editorials fulminating about threats to "reproductive rights" and the abortion industry, which flourishes in this state.  It has been covered extensively, but as always ignores any concern to life inside the womb.

Your second item is to most Americans, including me, not a big deal, because the shut-down is and will remain a solely owned property of the President.

Dave Benke

I find this statement puzzling.  Why is it the President's shut-down?  He is not the only player in the game here.  The Congressional Democrats made zero attempts at compromise, working under the assumption that the population will blame Trump alone for whatever problems there are.  Now there must be some sense developing on Capitol Hill that this is going to be a plague on both their houses public relations disaster as the Democrats are starting to make semi-serious noise about compromise.

As to the impoverished Federal employees--I'm sure some are hurting, especially lower income clerical employees, etc.  But the average salary for Federal employees in the District of Columbia is $115,000 per year (as opposed to the average in Wyoming where it is $63,000 per year.  The idea that people making this much money have no funds set aside for emergencies boggles my mind.  Can it be true?  Possibly.  But if it is true then we should all be very concerned about the intellectual capacity of those who regulate our lives.
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2060 on: January 24, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
Pastor Culler writes:
Why is it the President's shut-down?
I comment:
Because he proudly and loudly said it was his. (Or it was a lie when he said it, which is more than possible.) The Democrats offered a compromise a long time ago, but he has not compromised on "The Wall."

Pastor Culler writes:
He is not the only player in the game here.
I comment:
No, the Congressional Republicans are also in play, or at least they ought to be, if they can develop the guts to speak up and act.  As for the Democrats, the compromised today is $5 billion for border security.

Pastor Culler:
As to the impoverished Federal employees--I'm sure some are hurting, especially lower income clerical employees, etc.  But the average salary for Federal employees in the District of Columbia is $115,000 per year (as opposed to the average in Wyoming where it is $63,000 per year. 
Me:
Have you ever considered the costs of living and working in the nation's Capitol? I rejected considering a job there back in 1989 because I concluded that a salary approaching $85,000 wasn't as much as it sounded, and I was living in New Jersey at the time.

Pastor Cujller
The idea that people making this much money have no funds set aside for emergencies boggles my mind.
Can it be true?  Possibly.  But if it is true then we should all be very concerned about the intellectual capacity of those who regulate our lives.
Me:
See above. And my fear is that they are indeed smart enough to try to regulate our lives no matter what; or my worst fear is that they are dunderheads and the way they regulate our lives will lead to monumental disaster.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 24, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Given the fact that my native state, to it's everlasting shame, has made itself the moral equivalent of the Confederacy, I stop back to share this secular blog that refutes one of the delusions/lies that the 2 ELCA stalwarts here are prone to return to as a dog does to its own vomit.
blog.secularprolife.org/2018/07/link-collection-evidence-that-pro-life.html?m=1
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2062 on: January 24, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »
Charming as always, Mr. Hummel.  ::)
And smug. And arrogant. And insulting.
And the reason why I will not discuss your fevered topic here. We were not discussing your favorite subject.
May the internet fates save us from the obsessive zealotry of converts.

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 24, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
Charming as always, Mr. Hummel.  ::)
And smug. And arrogant. And insulting.
And the reason why I will not discuss your fevered topic here. We were not discussing your favorite subject.
May the internet fates save us from the obsessive zealotry of converts.

Isn't the topic of this discussion "A Concern for "Morality" in our Land, or not?"?

gan ainm

« Reply #2064 on: January 24, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
Flashback to a year ago:

https://www.capitolhilloutsider.com/perversion-immorality-vs-trumps-maga-whos-lead/

One year later and the dogs continue to return to their vomit as this quote from the article illustrates:

“While Congress Sits On Its Hands, Planned Parenthood Vows To “Break the Baby’s Neck” If Born Alive”

Constitutional protections and moral teachings of the Bible have just been scattered to the wind.

At this very moment President Trump has declared that he does not believe that this is what America is supposed to be.

I think Trump was correct, at least as far as what America used to be.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »

Dave Benke

What, in your opinion, would President Trump have to do so that the shut-down would not remain his "solely owned property"?  That is, does he have to concede everything to the Democrats?  If he lowered the wall spending to $1 billion, or even $1, and the Democrats said "no" would it remains his "solely owned property"?

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:44 PM »

Dave Benke

What, in your opinion, would President Trump have to do so that the shut-down would not remain his "solely owned property"?  That is, does he have to concede everything to the Democrats?  If he lowered the wall spending to $1 billion, or even $1, and the Democrats said "no" would it remains his "solely owned property"?

I believe that the Democrats offered a spending plan with $2+ billion for the wall that was rejected by the President. We also remember the President's promise that Mexico would pay for the wall. Why does he now insists that congress has to approve $5.7 billion for the wall?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:46:48 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: January 24, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
Wow! See Charles? You CAN be Lutheran AND speak out against monstrous evil!
https://blogs.lcms.org/2019/lcms-presidents-statement-regarding-gubernatorial-actions-expanding-abortion-in-new-york-and-illinois/

God bless President Harrison for this!  And our previous synodical presidents too, for their strong words of life.

Linda

« Reply #2069 on: January 24, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
I can understand the major media rushing to judgment re the Covington high school students (what's not to hate they're mostly white & pro-life); but, why have bishops in the catholic church publicly condemned them?

Linda
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:40:23 PM by Linda »